Tarot de Marseille - Marteau Grimaud, informations for collectors

Cerulean

My earliest BP Grimaud Marseille card is called Tarot Italian with different colors

but the face and look is like the red and blue and white modern Grimaud...

BP Grimaud Paris is what the copyright notice says.

The other cards in the 'salesman sample book' seem as early as 1890, as the Grand Etteilla is also in it.

See attached Marseilles image with BP Grimaud Paris for 'copyright'.

Attachments

• ital.jpg
    ital.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 523
  • mlependu.jpg
    mlependu.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 529

Rafaël

4 B.P. Grimaud 'LE PENDU'

Hi Cerulean,

Is (are) the card(s) you write about glued in a book? A 'salesman sample book' with handwritten titles? It would be interesting to see more of that book.

I add a picture of 4 Grimaud Le Pendu's with the back of the cards so it's easier to identify them. Your card is clearly the same edition as the one on the right of the picture. It is a Grimaud TdB, not an Italian tarot. Must be a mistake of the person who wrote the titles in the book.

GrimaudLePendux4small.jpg

Bertrand

Hello,
It is as you state a Grimaud TdM, not an Italian tarot. Must be a mistake of the person who wrote the titles in the book.
Excuse me if I missed your point, but it looks completely like the so-called "tarot italien" that Grimaud got with Lequart workshop, a design close to Conver with different colors (The latest Grimaud italian tarots must have been lithographic prints), and which is supposedly (and with strong evidences) the main model for Paul Marteau's "Ancien Tarot de Marseille".

As far as I remember this "italian tarot" (commercial name not stating an origin) is a Besançon deck, but it existed also as a Marseille deck (with Pope and Popess instead of Juno and Jupiter) as can be seen in http://tarot-de-marseille-millennium.com/galerie_tarots_historiques.html see Arnoult "1748" (actually from 1890). This also contains the explanation of the 1748 date on Grimaud's deck and later Marteau's "ancien tarot de Marseille", as Arnoult's deck was dated 1748 and was bought by Lequart (see T.Depaulis, "Cartiers Parisiens du XIXe siècle").

Are there any examples of the "Tarot Italien" being commercially called "tarot de Marseille" ?

Bertrand
edited to add : this must have been thoroughly discussed either in this thread or in neighbouring threads, so I'm sorry to duplicate the information, and maybe I missed the point.

Cerulean

Thank you Rafael, and Bertrand, I will try to compare when light returns

This day of gray for photography may be mauvais or bon chance if I can get to it at the right time.

The old glue is thickly applied to all card samples. I date it according to my tax stamped Grand Etteillas from Lismon (Simon Blocquel and son in law, Editions Delarue) and other decks of B.P. Grimaud. I believe that 1890 is accurate. The leather book has a tooled leather carving, but I cannot make out the heraldy symbol.

Does " BP Grimaud Paris " seem common on your 20th century decks? This book had only one card, Le Pendu. The list of BP Grimaud's offerings in booklet that came with an 1890 tax stamped Grand Etteilla almost duplicates the one card samples, but seems to lack a Italian title...the booklet may be later than the cards, as Grimaud lists a Marseilles...I will check this again.

I will hopefully receive my 194X " first edition" Paul Marteau book this week to compare with my British edition of Grimaud Marseilles and this one card...thank you very much, I will try to have my husband help photograph and return later.

Raphael, my thanks for your samples, and Bertrand, your information is eagerly sought by me. I am hapoy to be corrected and updated...and value all this illumination.

The Italian coloration is beautifully mellow, the greens and grays so lovely. I like the face of Le Pendu. I will try to find a modern reprint.

Cerulean

Hi Cerulean

Is (are) the card(s) you write about glued in a book? A 'salesman sample book' with handwritten titles? It would be interesting to see more of that boo

I add a picture of Grimaud 4 Le Pendu's with the back of the cards so it's easier to identify them. Your card is clearly the same edition as the one on the right of the picture. It is as you state a Grimaud TdM, not an Italian tarot. Must be a mistake of the person who wrote the titles in the book.

GrimaudLePendux4small.jpg

kail1988

I have bought one kit. This kit contains 144 pages of the book "The Tarot to everyone" Kamina Brochka and Charly Samson and the Tarot deck of 78 cards Marseille Grimaud.

Do anyone know which version/year this deck is?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51nXynAVWaL.jpg

Some Product Details:
Paperback: 144 pages
Publisher: Trajectory (18 September 2013)
Language: French
ISBN-10: 2841976246
ISBN-13: 978-2841976249
Product Dimensions: 25 x 15 x 4 cm

chimera68

this thread is awesome

I read this entire thread with great interest! Thanks everyone for all the info about the decks. I think, maybe my deck is no. 11 on the list. I just got it this past week in a trade. It is way too stiff to shuffle and must be mixed overhand or on the tabletop. It has the light blue checkered backs design. 1963 copyright on all the cards, tulip on 4 of coins, french/english titles, red box with lovers on both sides of box. Bilingual booklet. Card background is off-white, cards are lightly smoke flavored but not too bad. I like them for their funky vibe. The colors are dark and vivid.

h3ll0k1tt33

Just wanted to bump this thread to show my appreciation of everyone's hard work and this wonderful forum!!!!
Thanks to this thread I have successfully identified a deck I've had for years without knowing what it was (for the curious, it ended up being Deck 15, the majors only mini with Le fou as number XXII). The deck came to me without a box or book and lo and behold AT to the rescue!
Thanks again for all the painstaking research that went into this thread!

Max Sable

Interesting ad card on TdM.

Hi, I have been enjoying Coredil's great descriptions of all the different Grimaud Marseille decks. I think mine is maybe the 3rd one (only English titles), but it has the list of other available Tarots ad card and then one that says "ask for a free catalog from French Imports, Hollywood, Calif. Just curious if anyone else got that card because I don't have a LWB with a date and maybe that would narrow down a date. Thank you for any help.

Philippe

Recently I came across a nice edition from the 80's of the Grimaud. It has nice golden edges and a black leather pouch instead of a box. I wasn't aware such a deck existed (it's not a Chelman). Is it rare or quite common ?
The colours seem to be deeper than those of the current 1981 edition, see the above in the picture

Attachments

• P1010544.jpg
    P1010544.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 438
  • IMG2.jpg
    IMG2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 513

macoram

Spanish Marteau Grimaud Edition

Hi all!
I'm aware this is an old thread but I'd like your opinion on a boxless well-worn complete deck I acquired recently in an auction. It seems to be an old Spanish edition of the Marteau Grimaud deck:

No copyright anywhere
Spanish titles
Regular cardstock
Background color: white
No box...
Cards: 68 mm x 124 mm
Deck thickness: 23 mm
No stamps on cards
Dark blues and greens
Usual "1748 B. P. Grimaud 1930" text on the 2 deniers.
4 deniers with tulip
Bateleur ("Mago") with dice
Most curious detail: Backs with a single central symmetric multicoloured flower motif on a brown background.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• SpanishGrimaud.jpg
    SpanishGrimaud.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 483