Thoth Tarot PC Program

Scion

Eikon, this is an amazing piece of work. Many thanks to you for putting so much into it. Are you finished with it, or will it continue to evolve?

Going to go play with it... :)

Scion

Ffortiwn

Eikon, this is absolutely incredible work, considering how much time you probably have to play around with this sort of thing, and considering how stingy/protective software developers usually tend to be with their code & products (sometimes for good reason, of course). One main benefit for me at the moment is, I now have the option to do spreads at work if I need to without attracting any attention.

Have you tested it on Pocket PC, and are you going to give this a name?

bagheera444

Creating Tarot decks

Nice work Eikon,

To busy in my own life to be round these posts or contribute these days but the thought crossed my mind for those who have the skills as you might. To think of the possibilities to create a 3 dimensional tarot deck rendered by computer graphics.

All i see are around me from the last hundred odd years of tarot cards are 2 dimensional printed decks that prohibit an understanding unless your imagination/knowledge is trained to a good degree. I'm sure i'm not the only one who has noticed this!

Imagine a deck where you can have a fuller, more controlled interaction. A controlled meeting with the archtypes as opposed to relying on imagination- well, have imagination in part, but, the turbo charged effect by 3 dimensional tarot archtypes, could be useful in the struggle for gnosis.

Could be done by writing a program like any 1st person shooter game you buy.

Currently working on something myself...

Regards Bagheera

Ffortiwn

Great idea, Bagheera! What platform are you developing on? I'm wondering if Flash makes sense, although running this stuff sans Internet can also be a benefit.

I should admit that I'm of two minds with Tarot applications. Part of me loves the advantages, and the other part of me feels we should stick with the cards.

But I think one can argue both ways, and ultimately it boils down to personal preference. If enough people become interested in tools like these, I would be willing to do whatever I can to help put a project together on these forums.

Might as well mention that I have an Excel project going for automatically generating personal Tarot profile info based on numerological birthday and name calculations. Has a reading log also (thanks to Strange2). For those who are interested in this 'niche' area, I think it would be cool to incorporate that into an application.

darwinia

forteanajones said:
I should admit that I'm of two minds with Tarot applications. Part of me loves the advantages, and the other part of me feels we should stick with the cards.

I like to see cards in high resolution on a monitor because they look so beautiful in the light--that's an advantage to using tarot software.

I am running an LCD monitor at 1280 x 1024 resolution and I can't even identify the cards when they are laid out onscreen as they are so small. Funny, when I preview them in Irfanview they are much bigger for some reason.

With this program, I liked that Eikon included different backs to the cards and the ability to change the font. That is a neat facility.

For me, the program would not be useful without high resolution scans of the cards. I might do my own because I love the look of cards on a monitor. Hey, I could also do my artwork for the backs!

Another thing I thought of--Eikon has included a facility for separate notes, but not apparently to add notes onto the definitions that preview with the card when you right click. I suppose the notes pop-up was included to make a record of your spreads and readings, but it would be nice to personalize or expand the definitions that come with the cards. Particularly when you come across a gem of insight from one book or another--it would be nice to collect them with each of the Thoth cards and thus flesh out the definition for yourself (and also remember insightful stuff without trying to remember which book you saw it in and scrambling to find it.)

Great to have Crowley's Book of Thoth ready to pull up. I don't have a hard copy of it.

I did a short comparison of the Orphalese program using the description on the Orphalese web site--it allows for close ups of cards which is nice, especially onscreeen with the light of a monitor. It also allows adding notes to card descriptions I think, which are the main things I would want with software featuring the Thoth.

I'm not too interested in all the bells and whistles, just a bit of ease in customizing the view, resolution, and card descriptions.

It's a neat program though, simple and effective. I love to see programmers at work on things. You are talented Eikon, keep on creating!

[Edited to add: a couple hours later I bought the Orphalese software.]

brujablanca

is this download still available?

Blessings,

Bruja

Alta

Did you try it?

I already have the program so am reluctant to click the link again.
Marion

Equusgirl

Yes its still operable :)

Edit to say: I've just installed this on my desktop and so far it's *amazing*!! Thank you soooOOooooo much for sharing this with us. you are truly a genius :D

rainwolf

Very nice program :D

I love the note pad feature and how you can change the backside of the picture.

Not to be pushy or selfish, but do you think you will make more decks like RWS available for use on it?

firemaiden

It's times like this (very rare) that I almost regret having a Mac 0S X...