Question from a newcomer to Tarot

beatrix

Hi all,

I'm new to Tarot and the forum here. I've been a collector of Tarot decks for a few years. I had friends that read them and though I never had much of a desire to read them myself, I fell in love with the artwork and would stare at certain decks and certain cards endlessly.

Now my decks have been packed away for a couple years and I'm feeling the urge to dust them off and actually begin using them.

One deck I've always been drawn to is the Thoth tarot. I never bought my own because several of my friends thought that doing so was a bad idea. They cautioned me that anyone who is not serious about reading Tarot should not buy this deck or even own it. And- that if I ever decided to start reading cards I should by no stretch of the imagination begin with this deck.

So here's my current query- ever since I saw the lust card years and years ago I never forgot it. I used to try and doodle it without thinking in the margins of notebooks and I used to see it in my dreams sometimes. I've always been drawn to that card and fascinated by it. To me, it has a special meaning that is about finding the courage to embrace your overwhelming desires and deepest fears. To learn to live with them and 'ride them' rather than beat them down or be at odds with them your whole life.

I've always wanted to buy this deck and beyond that, I've always wanted to get a tattoo of this card. However, I've read some things about Crowley online and some people seem to associate him with some kind of ominous power and I'm not exactly sure as to why. It seems to me he was just kind of a libertine free thinking guy in his own time. I'm afriad to get this deck and to consider getting my tattoo because I'm afraid that I'll unwittingly draw some kind of bad energy to myself. But then I think- well, is the symbol Crowley's or has it become mine?

I'm just wondering what others think....sorry for the long long message. I just wonder if I'm playing with fire without realizing it. Feedback and thoughts would be so much appreciated!

connegrl

I'm sure you will hear alot of people tell you to just do it, if you're drawn to it. That's certainly what I did. The Thoth sucks me in to its worlds. But, I've established certain boundries for myself with this deck. I'd tried 'stepping into a card' with an RWS clone and it was flat and not productive at all. I did the same thing with the Thoth Hermit and found myself receiving a gift that I can still feel the weight of in my hand. This told me that by deeply meditating on cards in the Thoth, I could access parts of my 'shadows' that I might not be ready to access yet. So caution is called for, for me. Your issues and boundries might be different.

If you are deeply drawn to this deck, its for a reason. Get the deck and get a copy of Duquette's book on the Thoth Tarot and see where it takes you. Forget anything negative you've read about Crowley. You will form your own opinions in time.

I was firmly opposed to becoming a deck collector, but in my quest for a deck I would connect with, I have several. Only two really draw me, the Thoth and the Sacred Rose tarot. I find I read from the decks I don't connect with very well after working with the Thoth. I don't read the Thoth very well at all. Doesn't matter...I love it.

Jen

beatrix

Thanks for the advice, Jen :)

ravenest

Good post and sage advise Connegrl!

Beatrix, I have a T-shirt that is emplazoned with the image of the Lust card (Maroon shirt, with Gold print) it's interesting to wear in public, some people love it! Others ....
But a tattoo ... hmmmm. Do you have any other tattoos, especially of potent symbols? If not you might want to ask around first and see what you are in for ! In any case, if you feel sure and secure in your own concepts of what the Image of Lust means to you, by all means go for it. If, however, you are not sure and have vague disturbances or swirling dark patches of doubt or are easily influenced by others negative interpretations I'd advise you to hold off on the tattoo until you feel clearer about it.

Tarotphelia

beatrix said:
One deck I've always been drawn to is the Thoth tarot. I never bought my own because several of my friends thought that doing so was a bad idea. They cautioned me that anyone who is not serious about reading Tarot should not buy this deck or even own it. And- that if I ever decided to start reading cards I should by no stretch of the imagination begin with this deck.

No deck, and no dead degenerate has that much power. If the art speaks to you, appreciate it for its' own sake.

Edge

beatrix said:
Hi all,

I'm new to Tarot and the forum here. I've been a collector of Tarot decks for a few years. I had friends that read them and though I never had much of a desire to read them myself, I fell in love with the artwork and would stare at certain decks and certain cards endlessly.

Now my decks have been packed away for a couple years and I'm feeling the urge to dust them off and actually begin using them.

So here's my current query- ever since I saw the lust card years and years ago I never forgot it. I used to try and doodle it without thinking in the margins of notebooks and I used to see it in my dreams sometimes. I've always been drawn to that card and fascinated by it. To me, it has a special meaning that is about finding the courage to embrace your overwhelming desires and deepest fears. To learn to live with them and 'ride them' rather than beat them down or be at odds with them your whole life.

I've always wanted to buy this deck and beyond that, I've always wanted to get a tattoo of this card. However, I've read some things about Crowley online and some people seem to associate him with some kind of ominous power and I'm not exactly sure as to why. It seems to me he was just kind of a libertine free thinking guy in his own time. I'm afraid to get this deck and to consider getting my tattoo because I'm afraid that I'll unwittingly draw some kind of bad energy to myself. But then I think- well, is the symbol Crowley's or has it become mine?

I'm just wondering what others think....sorry for the long long message. I just wonder if I'm playing with fire without realizing it. Feedback and thoughts would be so much appreciated!

Hello and welcome to AT btw. :)
First of all there's nothing wrong with being a collector, fact is for most this is a far as it goes.

Those who would advise against purchasing / owning a Thoth deck are well, probably basing that on ignorance.

Regarding those who would advise against"starting" with this deck. Who is another to judge
ones own ability, maturity, or readiness to work with a deck such as this one. Have they walked a mile in your shoes? Have they
removed the plank in their own eye... Having said this, Thoth is not a "fisher price" type deck, it goes way deeper than that. To the adept
it's meaning and reality are obvious, for the rest it is nothing more than a topic of argument or debate.

A tattoo based on Atu XI, why not. I myself have many tattoos, the only thing I would say is know why you want this and
what it means to YOU. After all it's your tattoo.

A great deal of the information about To Mega Therion on the web is either false, based on half truth, taken out of context or just an out right
attack waged by the so called "great black brotherhood". Notice I said "a great deal" not all, there are some reliable web sites for those interested.

Good luck and blessings to you on your journey. :)

Edge

Dark Inquisitor said:
No deck, and no dead degenerate has that much power.

The OTO is a tax exempt religious organization the mission of which is to promote the philosophy/religious doctrines of Thelema. While I respect your right to whatever opinion you wish, some do however consider AC a prophet and gnostic saint. This could be likened to making offensive remarks about prophets and saints of other tax exempt religious organizations. The doing so of which I hope would NOT be tolerated in this forum.

Abrac

no guts no glory

ravenest

Abrac said:
no guts no glory

?????
21. In the true religion there is no sect, therefore take heed that thou blaspheme not the name by which another knoweth his God; for if thou do this thing in Jupiter thou wilt blaspheme HB:Heh HB:Vau HB:Heh HB:Yod and in Osiris HB:Heh HB:Vau HB:Shin HB:Heh HB:Yod . Ask and ye shall have! Seek, and ye shall find! Knock, and it shall be opened unto you!

Liber Librae.

.traveller.

I think Abrac was referring to the original query posed by Beatrix.

Personally, I would work with the deck a while before getting any tattoos. You might find that the feel of the card changes from your initial impression, and tattoos are rather expensive and permanent. Conversely, you may find an even greater connection to the image, therefore making the process even more meaningful.