Decks You Wish They'd Make Already

Reyan

I was just saying this in another thread, I would love a robot/electronic themed deck! (I know there is at least one robot deck, but it is long out of print and not that great looking anyway) Maybe I should make one, haha. I was thinking about giving deck creation a try.

And Aivli, I read Martin's books too. I'm on the third one now, A Storm of Swords. Takes me about 6 months to read each book, but I'm getting there. They're great! But they can be a little slow.

VGimlet

Love that monsters-by-kids deck. A lot.

I have the Marvel Deck - and it's okay, I think my favorite card was Spiderman. :D Majors only, and it WOULD be cool as a 78 card deck.

I would like a dog deck too.

And a really GOOD sci-fi deck. I have a lot of them, but have yet to see one that perfectly captures the genre, like the Prairie tarot does the Western.

Rasa

For the longest time I've thought it would be really cool to have a Tarot deck made with the kind of tattoo art typical of the art I've seen prisoners do because it's always so full of symbolism that you could get lost in each card. Not the gang stuff that's so popular these days but the old-time stuff that's like super-intricate that people used to sit and draw to while away the time and that they often then turned into tattoos.

It amazes me that no one has yet created a Tarot with classic tattoo imagery! I'm imagining a Sailor Jerry style deck with a lot of hearts, daggers, anchors, roses, snakes, eagles, pin-up girls, skulls, card titles in calligraphy in a banner, and so on. I really, really wish this deck existed, and considering how popular those kind of images are now, it's surprising that no one has cashed in on the trend.

I also want a Wiccan-oriented deck which features no medieval clothing, fairies, goth theme, or 80s art.
The Wheel of the year kind of almost had me, with its seasonal nature images and very Wiccan depictions of God and Goddess, handfasting Lovers, etc... and then there were the tiny people in a nest about to bean a baby bird with their cups, and the blue woman with butterfly wings in Temperance. What do fairies have to do with the damn wheel of the year?

Sparkly or hologram decks would appeal to my inner child... also on the inner child 's very far-fetched list is cards that work like a pop-up book. It would make for a thick deck, probably with very high production costs, but how cool would it be to 'open' each card and make your spread 3-dimensional, with moving parts and everything!?! You could pull a little paper tab to make the lovers kiss, or the lighting go back and forth to strike the tower. You could rotate the Wheel of Fortune for real, or make the dead people really pop out of their coffins in Judgement!

bogiesan

The Game of Go

In the west, chess is considered the ultimate intellectual combat. In the rest of the world, it is go. Still played in its original form after more than 3,000 years, go remains an artful and enigmatic game of construction instead of destruction, lines and circles. Chess master Edward Lasker, after learning of and playing go, once said, "If there is intelligent life elsewhere in this universe, they most certainly know go."

The suits are almost obvious: bowls (cups), stones (swords), boards (wands) and, umm, still working on the fourth, perhaps cherry blossoms (pentacles).*
The majors are easily imagined as illustrations of the fundamental strategic concepts, the wisest of go proverbs, a few famous games in their settings and portraits of the better known masters.*My own superficial research suggests these go-based concepts cross over easily from eastern philosophies to the Waite-ish tarot. Nothing new there, there are many eastern or Japanese themed decks.

There is a charming coming of age manga series about go here (and you may find it on the shelves at a comics shop):*
http://www.viz.com/product?id=1459

And the American Go Association site can tell you everything you want to know about go:*
http://www.usgo.org/index.html

And this Japanese manufacturer offers the finest in go equipment:*
http://www.kurokigoishi.co.jp/english/onlineshop/class/index.html

cirom

for me it is a lenticular deck. One orientation showing a 'regular' image.
Turn it 180 degrees so it is in effect a reversed card and you have a different image but related to the first. Could be a shadow image, reversed image, opposite interpretation - whatever.

Will we ever see such a deck?? Maybe. Needs an artist who is willing to create that many images, and a publisher who can produce it whereby the cost is not prohibitive so as to make it unviable.

Several of my images were produced as lenticular jig saw puzzles by a company in Germany and at tbe time I also made the connection of how this process would add an additional dimension to tarot imagery. Not so much in the 180 degrees way you were descibing, because lenticular does'nt quite work like that. But certainly to add variation to an image in a flip card kind of way as you tilt the card. i.e. a bird could be seen to be flying, a candle flickering, changing phases of a moon, a flower dying and re blossoming (death card) etc etc. The possibilities are endless. But to take full advantage of the process and the potential visual effect, the images have to be created in layers, which would be ok if they are produced digitally but would not work nearly as well for any flat traditionally produced image that is simply scanned. The printing process also costs more, but the whole idea is certainly feasible. The main problem I think is perception by the tarot community.
Several years ago I created a thread suggesting this very idea of a lenticular deck (can't for the life of me find it again, I can't even remember what I called it) but anyway I did get the impression that the idea wasn't that well received, various comments suggested that it sounded cheesy and just a novelty. So I didn't pursue it.

214red

Several of my images were produced as lenticular jig saw puzzles by a company in Germany and at tbe time I also made the connection of how this process would add an additional dimension to tarot imagery. Not so much in the 180 degrees way you were descibing, because lenticular does'nt quite work like that. But certainly to add variation to an image in a flip card kind of way as you tilt the card. i.e. a bird could be seen to be flying, a candle flickering, changing phases of a moon, a flower dying and re blossoming (death card) etc etc. The possibilities are endless. But to take full advantage of the process and the potential visual effect, the images have to be created in layers, which would be ok if they are produced digitally but would not work nearly as well for any flat traditionally produced image that is simply scanned. The printing process also costs more, but the whole idea is certainly feasible. The main problem I think is perception by the tarot community.
Several years ago I created a thread suggesting this very idea of a lenticular deck (can't for the life of me find it again, I can't even remember what I called it) but anyway I did get the impression that the idea wasn't that well received, various comments suggested that it sounded cheesy and just a novelty. So I didn't pursue it.

i think that it takes time for the community to get their head round things, look at digital decks, applications, these were not well recieved at the time, but now are taking flight.

maybe now people will be more receptive then they were in the past.

PedroEmperor

I wish someone would create a Tarot about Music. It's probably hard, requires research but it's not impossible... Many composers had particular events in their lives, thoughts, visions, etc, that could be applied for the archetypes in the Majors, for example.

I kind of breathe music, it's my pillar, my job, my favourite art and something I couldn't really live without so it's kind of a dream for me to mix it with Tarot somehow. If something like this ever saw the light of day, it would become my new go-to deck for sure.

And YES to the Marvel, the children's art and the dog decks ;)

espearite

I wish someone would create a Tarot about Music. It's probably hard, requires research but it's not impossible... Many composers had particular events in their lives, thoughts, visions, etc, that could be applied for the archetypes in the Majors, for example.

I kind of breathe music, it's my pillar, my job, my favourite art and something I couldn't really live without so it's kind of a dream for me to mix it with Tarot somehow. If something like this ever saw the light of day, it would become my new go-to deck for sure.

And YES to the Marvel, the children's art and the dog decks ;)

I love big band, jazz, and swing music. I wish to God someone would make a deck celebrating this musical genre. An American version and a Brazilian for bossa nova/European, etc. Or maybe just mesh them all together in one deck? @@

I also second a tattoo type of tarot as well as perhaps people thinking about creating lenticular decks! Oh, and a Sherlock Holmes deck, too. :D

Debra

I don't remember that it was a separate thread but I do remember you bringing it up and I think it has great potential.

To be great for reading would take a lot of thought about the symbolism in the cards so there would be a lot of work that way, too. For example, would you want the second view to show the continuation from the original view (what happens next) or the + and - aspects of each card, or the images as "unconsciousness brought to consciousness" or....? I think there would have to be a real "theory" behind it, to make it coherent.

I think an abstract style would be interesting--not solving a mystery, but deepening it. What about a cubist style?

I've mostly seen lenticular images on Catholic holy cards and they tend to be romanticized to the point of camp but maybe that's the best type of images for their purposes, I don't know.

ETA: Maybe this thread: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=51158

PedroEmperor

I love big band, jazz, and swing music. I wish to God someone would make a deck celebrating this musical genre. An American version and a Brazilian for bossa nova/European, etc. Or maybe just mesh them all together in one deck? @@

Sounds good :D

I'm more on the mesh-of-all-things side :p I was thinking about putting the greatest names in music, along with the various genres, in one deck, aplying Music History and mood to the meanings - that would give variety to the cards, and a nice touch for each message. Maybe someday it will happen? ;)