Día de los Muertos Lenormand. (Day of the Dead)

starlightexp

the second set of proofs are do in tomorrow . I can't wait to see what that look like. I'll post up here the different versions so people can see how they look.

Babalon Jones

These cards are very beautiful!

And it is so interesting to hear what you do with the images in the computer afterward. (I never did any of that with my deck, never thought to, not having Photoshop, I just scanned the images and called it a day. Would love to be able to afford Photoshop and learn all that someday, it sounds like one can do infinite things with it... and what is a "unicorn fart filter" anyway lol?)

The Birds card is so cute! love it!

I am surprised you are shooting for a summer release and not a Day-of-the-Dead release date though. (hey I just realized my deck was released on that exact day (11/2) never realized it was Day of the Dead I was so busy then!)

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more! Thanks for sharing your process and awesome artwork.

starlightexp

A Tale of Two Card Companies

What some people may now know is that even when not making the art for deck the creator can be obsessing all the time about it. Anyone here that has ever made a deck before I’m sure can relate to this. I’ve been stalking my mailman for the past 4 days waiting for the second set of proofs to come in. I’ve not been able to do much more then refresh the tracking number screen and drink tea. (Yes I obsess about tea..rich, deep gold, strong… opps sorry.) So yesterday I put off going to work on time to lay in wait for the mail truck. Finally they got here and o..m..g.. they look stunning. It’s strange how different places print the same file differently.

Attached here are two examples from the places. I’m personally happier with the second versions of the cards. They are the more correct bridge size I was hoping to have them be able to me made into. I think the images in the second ones look brighter and over all sharper. They were sent at the same resolution and everything.

The place I’m printing at allows for a 600dpi so the cards will turn out even a littler more sharper then these. The nice part is that now I know where they are going to be printed I can start the box design.

Attachments

• Tale of two card companies.jpg
    Tale of two card companies.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 181

tarot heart

A Tale of Two Card Companies

What some people may now know is that even when not making the art for deck the creator can be obsessing all the time about it. Anyone here that has ever made a deck before I’m sure can relate to this. I’ve been stalking my mailman for the past 4 days waiting for the second set of proofs to come in. I’ve not been able to do much more then refresh the tracking number screen and drink tea. (Yes I obsess about tea..rich, deep gold, strong… opps sorry.) So yesterday I put off going to work on time to lay in wait for the mail truck. Finally they got here and o..m..g.. they look stunning. It’s strange how different places print the same file differently.

Attached here are two examples from the places. I’m personally happier with the second versions of the cards. They are the more correct bridge size I was hoping to have them be able to me made into. I think the images in the second ones look brighter and over all sharper. They were sent at the same resolution and everything.

The place I’m printing at allows for a 600dpi so the cards will turn out even a littler more sharper then these. The nice part is that now I know where they are going to be printed I can start the box design.

Oh my! These are stunning and yes, the second one seems to be the sharpest. The third card must be from the first company?

I have really been enjoying you explain the process on these cards. It's fascinating. I have a question. How do you separate the image from the sheet on the original picture? Is that something that you can only do in Photoshop or is it achievable in other programs? Inquiring minds want to know...

Great job Edmond and thank you for sharing this. I, for one, don't find it one bit boring. I love hearing all the details on your project. If there is any way I can help, give a holler! :)

starlightexp

Removing the background is something I think you can do with most photo editing programs. For this project, because the lines are so defined it's not too hard. There is a setting call Background Erase that I use. It's not always perfect and there are some times I can't use it because what it thinks is background is my picture but it gets 80% of the work don 90% of the time. Once Background Erase does what it can then it's going in and removing the rest of it by hand. It's a process that is time consuming. To me it's very zen, and I find the results to be FAR cleaner then with the scanned in background.

Oh and yes the first and third card are from the same place and the second and forth from the other. It's great to be able to breath a sigh of relief that the way that I'm saving and working with the files DOES work for what I hope to achieve. Now I can go back to making more of the art..whew..

Edmund

tarot heart

Sorry! I meant Edmond! That has been corrected. I have a friend named Edward and you look just like him so that's why the mistake. Will never happen again!! :laugh: :*

starlightexp

Very cool.. Maybe I'll have to make a trip down there..

The week has been a very full week, both with work and creatively. I have a big old
blackboard in my work space and on are listed all the cards in the Lenormand. I've never been much a linear worker on a project like this. So I don’t start with The Rider and then move on the to Clover, I just kind if let the cards come as they will. Inspiration hits at strange times and several images have had their geniuses on the back of napkins and gratuity envelopes. When they are sketched out the images find their way onto the sketch pile of my desk and the card on the blackboard gets circled meaning that the initial sketch is done and is ready for painting. This week has seen a few cards reach closer to completion and a few done. One of them I was going to wait till the deck was in people’s hands for them to see, but I can’t. The Bear just came out this way, and for some reason he just makes me smile. The thing I did notice about the board today… I’ve gotten over the half way mark. Once the cards prepped are done then there are about 14-15 cards left.. Whew.

Attachments

• 15 The Bear.jpg
    15 The Bear.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 291
  • Blackboard.jpg
    Blackboard.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 178

Debra

What a hoot! The bear is really fun.

It's interesting to see how large you're working. I hope the texture of the chalk will show in the smaller card images.

Alta

Now I love that bear even better than The Birds. starlightexp, you have really captured a blend of the playful and macabre.