so I have my black obsidian scrying mirror...

sharpchick

That is one gorgeous piece of obsidian. You will get much enjoyment from it.

thinbuddha

This is funny- references to scrying stones keep comming to me these last few days (I suppose it might have something to do with the places I visit on the net, eh?)

I'm not sure that I'm ready to shell out the big bucks for an obsidian stone, but I've seen some rather affordable hand blown glass mirrors. Anyone have any input on this? Would it be worth going for a black glass mirror, or should I keep my money?

http://capricornslair.stores.yahoo.net/4doblcoscmi.html

sharpchick

As long as it is shiny, I'll think it would be fine. That 's why water is also so good for scrying. You can use any really dark blue or black bowl filled with water and get a very good result. I got a black bowl at Wally World for less than a buck and it was what I started with.

That mirror looks to have a pretty nice finish on it. Probably would be an affordable way for you to start.

Sophie

What I like about obsidian - and in the end why I went for that, despite the price (though I got a good deal on it, as you saw), is its intrinsic qualities. I've slowly been working more with black stones. I used to find them too heavy, though I always used to carry a medium-sized hematite around with me for grounding and to ward off the negativity that surrounded me in the places I worked.

But obsidian I only discovered a few months ago. There was a sale of stone hearts going on in some online shop, and one of them was obsidian, so I bought it. I haven't really worked with it actively, but it's beautiful, and I love having it about. I feel solid and anchored when I see it, but at the same time, I feel like there's a whole mysterious world in there to discover. It's a bit like Alice's hole in the ground...

The black obsidian mirror gave me a powerful jolt when I unwrapped it. I was awestruck by its simple beauty, but I was also mesmerised. I used to have an old fear of black abysses - whenever I went through a bad time, I would see a huge black hole trying to suck me in, and I was terrified. After a shamanic workshop during which I journeyed into the abyss and had some powerful, frightening but ultimately healing experiences, this fear has left me, but the fascination hasn't. I feel like it's an adventure...

I read somewhere that obsidian is good for creativity for those reasons - being both grounding and fascinating - it brings visions and draws you into a path of discovery - which is of course invaluable for creators. I am about to start a new book, once I've finished my contract, so I think my obsidian mirror is also something I have at the back of my mind as a kind of pathway for me. In the past, dreams and visions have inspired some of my writing, so I am wondering if scrying might not? It's simple presence near my desk (my altar and my workplace are both in my sitting room) is also inspiring.

Sulis

thinbuddha said:
This is funny- references to scrying stones keep comming to me these last few days (I suppose it might have something to do with the places I visit on the net, eh?)

I'm not sure that I'm ready to shell out the big bucks for an obsidian stone, but I've seen some rather affordable hand blown glass mirrors. Anyone have any input on this? Would it be worth going for a black glass mirror, or should I keep my money?

http://capricornslair.stores.yahoo.net/4doblcoscmi.html

I've used a bowl of water before and I've also used my cauldron - it's cast iron so filled with water it makes a lovely deep black bowl

You can also make a black mirror yourself:
http://astralthyme.com/scrying mirror.html
http://users.ipns.com/northstar/Magick/Body/Otherbobbles/blackmirror.htm

I've heard of someone making a curved mirror using the glass out of a washing machined door too.. Just paint one side black (as in the picture frame instructions).

celticnoodle

interesting thread here, thanks helvetica for starting it all with your purchase. I've learned alot already just on these two pages from everyone's posts.

I don't know much about crystals & stones, but have always been drawn to the crystal ball. I do have one, but have not had much luck with it as yet. I have heard about using a bowl of water also, but the crystal ball just 'speaks' to me I guess. I am very interested in learning more about these crystals and stones--especially for their healing properties. Can anyone recommend a good book on this?

I'd love to get an obsidian, but I think if I ordered anymore divination stuff, my husband just may flip-ha! I'll wait awhile, maybe for Christmas, which is not too far down the road!

Milfoil

I have one also from the same vendor which I purchased a year or so ago, its more oval in shape and feels 'serious' if that makes any sense? Its really beautiful but I struggle to work with it. It also sits with my altar, usually inside though.

Briar Rose

I've been told by a woman that own quite a large metaphysical shop that scrying mirrors are to be covered when not in use. She told me she took a class on mirrors and it was intense.

Le Fanu

Just bumping this thread, echoing Fudugazi's excitement at getting a scrying mirror. I bought mine from the same place and had pretty much the same first reaction.

However, I just wanted to know whether anyone knows where I could get a nice non-scratch stand to place it on when it is on my table? Something like a plate stand (my mirror is round), but I was wondering if there are any online shops (preferably Europe) which have supports for scrying mirros?