Gilded - has anyone else noticed....

LixiPixi

Has anyone else noticed that many of the character faces are on different cards??

8 Pentacles same as the person on the right side of 2 Cups
Queen Cups same as person on the left side of 2 Cups

4 Swords is 6 Pentacles

6 Wands is King of Pentacles

4 Pentacles is Emperor

Queen Swords is Queen Pentacles

7 Pentacles is 9 Pentacles

Page Cups is 4 Cups (and most likely Page of Wands modified some)

9 Swords, Empress, Temperance, (and probably Lovers) are all the same girl.

Magician, King Wands are the same guy (and probably 5 Swords and 5 Cups)

3 Pentacles is King Cups

Queen of Wands is Elizabeth Taylor
The Fool is George W Bush (this is the only one I've heard mentioned before)

Now I can deal with a person continuing along in the same suit, i.e. the 4Cups/Page Cups scenerio, but I must say, after discovering this - I feel like I just found out some hidden secret of deception! I feel so different about this deck all of a sudden - very weird feeling! I don't know if I'll be able to read with it the same any more. :(

LP!

starrystarrynight

Queen of Wands is Elizabeth Taylor
I thought that exactly, LP...this is definitely Liz.

I know the artist used some real people as models for the cards (his wife as the lady in the Lovers, for example). I always see the professional poker player, Daniel Negraneau (sp?) as the Two of Pentacles man, and it makes me grin.

But I love the artwork on this deck, and it reads for me very well now. I would never give it up even if George Bush is a fool. (Oh, did I say that out loud?)

LixiPixi

LOL!! I didn't know that about his wife! Does that mean the roman soldier in that Lovers card is what Ciro looks like?? hehehe (If not, don't tell me - that was a retorical question....LOL! ) Yikes! :heart:

Was it you, starrystarrynight, that mentioned Elizabeth Taylor in the Cosmic thread too? Or is it just a coincidence that Liz is used in both decks? I can accept her and George here in the Gilded. After all, this was my VERY FIRST tarot deck nearly 3 months ago. I'd be lost without it.

It's just strange how all of a sudden, while I've used the deck over and over and keep thinking to myself, this person or that person looks familiar, that all of a sudden it hit me that those faces are used in more places than one...LOL Now I have to come to grips with that. Again, the suit similarities are plenty okay with me, but to find the honesty and truth in two different queens being the same person - now, that will take some creative changes in my thought process :rolleyes:

LP~

brenmck

And the King of Swords in the Golden Tarot is Laurence Harvey, a dead ringer, so it happens in other decks.

The women of the Gilded are gorgeous to the point of distraction -
I don't know how I manage (if in fact I'm managing). :cool5:

~B~

lark

Ciro himself is actually the Fool...not George Bush
The Empress is his ex wife and the Lovers and Sar is his present wife...
There is a thread about it somewhere.

I know his kids are in the deck too, and some of his friends.

LixiPixi

How wonderful is that! I'll have to go searching for it. I would love to know more history about the characters. High 5 to Ciro and his family - I know I wouldn't want my husband making a card deck with his ex in it...LOL!!

I still think we're falling off the track of my question, though. Does anyone else find it difficult to relate to a deck that has familiar faces representing different suits/numbers, etc? For example, to have the same face representing two different queens just makes it harder for me to see the individuality of each personality and/or suit that they're representing. I always felt a similar intuitive interpretation with those in particular, but couldnt' put my finger on it until now. Maybe that's what lead me to finding more matches.

Does anyone else have trouble with this? Is there some way to overcome it?

lark

I think maybe it's very unique I can't think of another deck that has the same faces on more than one queen...
Sometimes I see the same person in the RWS ..like I think the guy in the 9 of Wands maybe the same guy walking away with his wands in the ten....
But that's a little different.... having the same face on two Queens or two Kings is harder to accept.
I use the Gilded a lot but I never noticed this before.
You have good eyes!

There is a card in the Forest Folklore that looks just like my brother and one in the new Victorian Romantic tarot that looks just like my brother-in-law...and that freaks me out a little.
But I just plow through and keep using it, but I really don't like it when that happens.
When I look through a new deck I'm always relieved when no one looks like anyone I know.

Sorry this spoiled the deck for you....
I wonder why Ciro used the same faces?
Maybe he'll see this thread and tell us.

LixiPixi

lark said:
Sorry this spoiled the deck for you....
I wonder why Ciro used the same faces?
Maybe he'll see this thread and tell us.

Thank you for your responses, Lark - you've taught me more about this deck's history than I was expecting :)

Ciro.......ooohhh, Ciroooo??? I actually love the idea of the 4 Cups and Page Cups being the same face. It's a wonderful way to relate the suits to their meanings, their family relationships, their vices, etc.

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why you would use one face on various suits, though? My assumption wants to say that you probably thought with minor adjustments, such as beards, clothings, and the like that we wouldn't notice. But was there a reason? Did you need to ask a legal-sense of permission to use those X-number of faces and therefore, had to spread them out through your deck equally??

Your deck was the very first one I ever owned - I'm finding all this history very interesting! Thank you all for sharing the bits of knowledge that I missed throughout the other threads!

LP~

Green27

article by Ciro Marchetti

I noticed that this thread has been idle for a while but I thought I would add something anyway. I found this while looking for a deck. It gives you a small window to who some of the faces are based off of. I was going to just past the entire article but it is a bit long here is the link to the whole article and the section that I was talking about.

http://www.llewellyn.com/bookstore/article.php?id=674

Llewellyn's Article Archive

Print this articleprint Send to a friendsend to a friend
Labor of Love
New Worlds Isse: NW045
By: Ciro Marchetti

The different scenes depicted do not represent any specific region or time. I’ve taken complete liberty with historical accuracy, inventing and borrowing costumes and architecture at will from different periods. The characters themselves form a visual album of family, friends and co-workers, now converted to angels, demons, triumphant heroes and royalty. Their participation required a variety of tactics: a romantic dinner for my wife (Temperance), lunch and month-long commitments to make the coffee for my co-workers (Strength, Empress and Emperor), and old fashioned threats of taking away computer games from my fourteen-year-old son, who for some reason was reluctant to dress up in tights for the Ten of Wands. My daughter (Judgement and the Eight of Swords), on the other hand, was simply happy to pose for as many as possible.

I decided to give a stronger individual identity than normal to differentiate the suits and Major Arcana. I color-coded the various borders, and used some of the design elements and character that are introduced in the Aces of each suit. I then applied them to the royals. For example, the grained wood and guilt-centered embellishments of the Wands are reinforced in the column of the Queen and the King’s throne. The same detail can be seen in the decorative gold metal work of the Cup, which is reflected in the elaborate metalwork of that suit’s throne. The royal costumes also compliment the color scheme of their suit, reinforcing its overall unity. I wanted each King, Queen, Knight, etc., to be obviously a Wand, Sword, Cup or Pentacle in their own right — not merely because they are holding their corresponding items.

Amethyst-Fairy

I think the fool definatley looks like George Bush.
I think perhaps The Emperor is modelled on Ciro Marchetti himself.
Heres a pic of him, the guy on the right.
bestofshow.jpg