A/t Herb Garden ?

mingbop

we always tend to think that you can grow ANYTHING in hot places, we forget that water is scarce. I cant imagine water being scarce, we got so bl**dy much of it up here !! Today its FREEZING and we had frozen rain cos its too cold for snow. Spring here is so weird. Sun that seems warmish but wind right fromt he north pole, then sudden freezing heavy rain or sleet showers. Poor wee lambs be here in a couple of weeks - they must be a lot tougher than they look. Like plants.

HearthCricket

I also can only grow herbs that can handle full sun, as that is what they are going to get. A bit of shade in the early morning, but they will be west, so they will get pounded with the summer sun.

Eugenia Madora

I have a little tiny patch of shamrocks that a friend gave me four years ago. I try to make sure they have enough water ~ they manage to hang on despite the hot summers.
I have added pretty ceramic mushrooms and fairies to help them feel at home.
They are in the shadiest part of the yard and under a large Australian fern and a camellia bush.
This year we have a lot of violets because we did get some rain.
They continue to volunteer after 22 years, some years very scarce but this year plentiful. They are one of my favorites.

mingbop

What colour does rosemary bloom ? mine is clinging grimly to life is a too-cold climate and stays always 8" high, never flowered.
I wonder if forget-me-not could be (wildly) considered a herb ?? It's so pretty and you can plant it in remembrance of somebody. In face you can plant each and every herb, and "name it" for somebody you lost. Dedicate it to them sort of. ...Then hope they come and look after it !!! :)

Debra

Lovely little purple/lavender flowers, Mingbop. It grows wild here.

And now a word about catnip in the garden.

I did that some years ago and every neighborhood tom and mary cat used my garden as a toilet. I pulled up the catnip, but as it's a mint, it refused to go away.

Recently I bought catnip in pots and neither cat was the least bit interested...and I read that for most, it's only the dry stuff they like.

Nonetheless, if you don't want your garden to become a feline public facility, I'd say....skip the catnip :D

mingbop

yep --catmint is what you sneakily plant in the neighbour you hate's garden !!
not that I wud ever do such a thing!
... well not unless she really annoyed me..

celticnoodle

Eugenia Madora said:
I have a little tiny patch of shamrocks that a friend gave me four years ago. I try to make sure they have enough water ~ they manage to hang on despite the hot summers.
I have added pretty ceramic mushrooms and fairies to help them feel at home.
They are in the shadiest part of the yard and under a large Australian fern and a camellia bush.
This year we have a lot of violets because we did get some rain.
They continue to volunteer after 22 years, some years very scarce but this year plentiful. They are one of my favorites.
oh, this sound delightful! I love shamrocks and did buy some last year, but they did not make it. maybe I'll try again this year. I have little fairies and leprechauns and elves all over the house-for my plants as well through out our home.

oh yeah, good advice on the catnip--something I have not taken into account. I think if I do plant it, I'll put it in pots, and keep it away from our other vegetables and herbs. our main trouble in our garden tends to be the rabbits. anyone know of anything to plant that will help keep rabbits away??? I had heard human hair clippings around the garden will help, but wondering if anyone has any other ideas?

HearthCricket

celticnoodle said:
our main trouble in our garden tends to be the rabbits. anyone know of anything to plant that will help keep rabbits away??? I had heard human hair clippings around the garden will help, but wondering if anyone has any other ideas?

I think lavender keeps them away...and the deer, as well.

I am rethinking the whole catmint thing. I buy it via a container, and we had a cat that always visited, but she visited before we planted it. Now she has moved away. I guess I will wait and see what happens. With the coyotes around those who have cats keep them inside. She was an acception and the only one who ever bothered my birdfeeders and garden in the 16 years we have lived here. But catnip grows like crazy. It thrives in my garden and smells so good! Meow!!!

Sonic

city living balconies

I was shown how to grow veggies and herbs in make shift containers for people with apartment limited space and or small decks. Use your old laundry basket. Line it with a plastic garbage bag. No need for holes in the bottom. Tada, make shift pot. I was worried about root rot but I made sure not to over water and let me tell you, EVERYTHING grew. Onions, herbs, tomatoes. I didn't have to do anything but plant and water. I was amazed.

Anam Cara

I was talking with someone at work today about
planning my herb garden...

I voiced concern that all the local cats seem to like
...er...frolicking!...in our backyard, and I'm afraid my
herb garden will become their new fave box...

She recommended working used coffee grounds into
the soil around the plants...she said the cats don't like
the smell of coffee....Well, goodness knows we have
PLENTY of coffee grounds...(A pot of Peet's French
Roast gets brewed every morning in our kitchen!! Yumm!!)

Any one know from experience if the coffee grounds would
deter cats from using my herb garden as a cat box??
:heart:cara