Has anyone ever confronted you over reading in public?

Chiriku

I know some here read for themselves or for others in very "naked" locales such as busy cafes and train dining cars.

Has anyone ever come up to you and expressed disapproval?

Did a waiter or shopkeeper ever tell you it wasn't allowed in their cafe/establishment?

What did you say to them? If you had a sitter with you, how did s/he react?

Vanny

The only experience I've had that is anything like that is doing a reading for someone at a coffee house and have people stare as they walk past. I didn't mind and I don't think the person I was reading for cared either.

I have also met with a Tarot group and we all had out our decks and were discussing the cards and got the same reaction as people walked by. I think its mostly curiosity.

Also, one time I was reading for someone from my apartment building. We were sitting at the table outside next to the pool. This lady walked by and said "Oh what are you guys playing?" We just looked at her and said "We're not." That was pretty funny.

lark

Yes, I was with a group of fellow readers ...we were on our way to do readings for an event...and we stoped at DENNY"S for dinner.
We all decided to take out the decks we had brought with us and share about them and do a little pre-event spread to see how things would go that night.
Our delightful waitress alerted the manager, and the manager came to the table and told us we would have to "put those things away."
And if we didn't he had the right to ask us to leave.
I pointed out that there was a couple with two bibles open in full view having a bible study at the table right across from us...and that that was their spiritual preference, and this was mine...yet they were not being asked to leave...why was what we were doing any different??
(Actually they were probably the snitches.)
Others in my group made similar observations and loud talking ensued....
And we got kicked out..never to set foot in a DENNY"S again.

The crowned one

I get curious stares occasionally when I take the time to look up at my surroundings, but never had a negative comment.

Chiriku

Vanny said:
Also, one time I was reading for someone from my apartment building. We were sitting at the table outside next to the pool. This lady walked by and said "Oh what are you guys playing?" We just looked at her and said "We're not." That was pretty funny.

Ha! Funny indeed.

Chiriku

lark said:
Our delightful waitress alerted the manager, and the manager came to the table and told us we would have to "put those things away."
And if we didn't he had the right to ask us to leave.
I pointed out that there was a couple with two bibles open in full view having a bible study at the table right across from us...and that that was their spiritual preference, and this was mine...yet they were not being asked to leave...why was what we were doing any different??
(Actually they were probably the snitches.)
Others in my group made similar observations and loud talking ensued....
And we got kicked out..never to set foot in a DENNY"S again.

Unbelievable, lark. Just unbelievable.

For those not familiar, Denny's is a U.S.-wide chain or franchise of breakfast/diner food. For frequent travelers, it actually might be quite a hardship to refrain from patroning one again, because they are sometimes the only dining establishment for miles along the highway.

But, actually, even if they were the snitches, how "lucky" for you that there was a couple reading their Bible, and how quick-thinking you were to point them out and show up the manager's hypocrisy.

lark

Chiriku said:
Unbelievable, lark. Just unbelievable.

For those not familiar, Denny's is a U.S.-wide chain or franchise of breakfast/diner food. For frequent travelers, it actually might be quite a hardship to refrain from patroning one again, because they are sometimes the only dining establishment for miles along the highway.

But, actually, even if they were the snitches, how "lucky" for you that there was a couple reading their Bible, and how quick-thinking you were to point them out and show up the manager's hypocrisy.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out I forget not everyone will know what a DENNY'S is.
I think the couple with the bibles registered with me right a way because I used to do that with a group of friends, have bible studies at resturants.
Denny's being one of the resturants we would frequent.
We'd be sitting there for hours drinking pots of coffee, bibles and papers spread all over the place and NEVER ONCE did anyone say a peep about it.
I wasn't embarassed I was mad that I was being discriminated upon in a place where a few years before I had sat with an open bible and been smiled upon.
Yet here I was with a book of knowledge, my tarot deck spread out on a table something that I personally find great spiritual comfort in and I'm kicked out.

214red

lots of people have accosted me whilst reading cards, some in a nice manner, some in a rude and aggressive manner. Never an establishments manager/owner though.

I have never retaliated, i have done my best to ignore them. I have even had the staff of the place i am in, check i am okay.

I refuse to be told where and when i can read tarot, its just like writing or reading a book to me. I won't be intimidated by ignorant folks who have issues with me reading, that up to them.

i do get alot of reading requests when people see me read, even if i am reading for myself, i seem to be the best advertisment for my services...lol

starrystarrynight

nejigurlmimi

not really in a public place like a restaurant but i was told to put my cards away when i was in school when we had a break <.<