Lenormand Playing Cards

andybc

Are you kidding? The 1845 cards, printed in Germany, obsequiously titled Le Normand, are precisely tea leaf fortune telling images. Where else on earth would they have originated from with any validity? The printing industry was booming! Etc etc etc goodnight

I'll take your word for it, as you've clearly studied it, the history of the deck has never really interested me. Goodnight :)

Teheuti

I've found that even in really old booklets (late 1700s) where only a short list of tea leaf symbols are included (75-100) that most of the Lenormand images are covered. And, yes, the early illustrations for the cards look very much like diagrams that illustrate the tea leaf sections in 19th century books. The same books will often include dream symbolism where the choice of symbols and their interpretations are not nearly so parallel.

KariRoad

"shuffling" ARLO

Gentle Shuffling Method

Lenormand cards can be challenging to shuffle, as there are
only 36 of them and they are rather compact, but I use this
simple way to randomise my cards, easily and thoroughly:

Face down, one row of 6 cards: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6

For the second row, lay the first card on the second card
and continue with 6 more cards: 6 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

Third row: 5 - 6 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Fourth row: 4 - 5 - 6 - 1 - 2 - 3

Fifth row: 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 1 - 2

Sixth row: 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 1

Each row goes on top of the one before:

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6
6 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
5 - 6 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4
4 - 5 - 6 - 1 - 2 - 3
3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 1 - 2
2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 1

I usually shuffle a little before I lay the cards out this way,
sometimes I shuffle a little in-between each row, and then
when I have 6 neat piles of 6 cards each it's time to decide
which pile to pick up first, and so all the way through...

I usually pick up the piles starting with the third,
on top of the second, on top of the first, and then
the sixth, fifth, and fourth piles after that, but any
order that seems comfortable is fine or even push
all the piles together picking them up re-shuffled.

This works for any deck of cards, and is especially fun to
do with Tarot cards ~ which you have to try yourself and
you'll know what I mean... six piles, as above, 13 times.

KariRoad

Sweet Dreams

Teheuti said:
So, you are saying to just use the cards as playing cards and forget the pictures? As if I could forget the pictures!
Actually, a great way to improve one's Lenormand skills is to read with regular playing cards, just using the 36 related to Lenormand, and (not forget!) but visualize the images. And, remembering the numbers for each card earns extra points!

Personal aside: I have found "working my way through" Lenormand cards from 1 to 36 a great way to get to sleep. No cheating! zzzzzzzzzzz

Carla

Gentle Shuffling Method

I use this method to mix up a brand new tarot deck that's in order. I do it face up so I can look at the new cards as I go. :)

KariRoad

On topic

Teheuti said:
Diamonds is a real mixed bag - big and little successes, beginnings and endings, openings and closings—a bit of a gamble—risky with potential big payoffs or losses.
29 Lady:
19 Tower:
27 Letter:
20 Garden:
35 Anchor:
03 Ship:
13 Child:
09 Bouquet:
30 irises:

OK here we go! All "Spadey" and, perhaps Pentacles/Discs? Lay it on me.

What I'm really holding my breath over is "The RIDER'S Journey" complete sans zero.

KariRoad

Carla said:
I use this method to mix up a brand new tarot deck that's in order. I do it face up so I can look at the new cards as I go. :)
Hi, Carla!

Yes, I've done that too, but I guess usually when shuffling I try to make my mind a relaxed but annoyingly active BLANK.

Here's something truly revealing: try holding 2 identical cards side by side! ( have 2 copies of the same deck and hold the same card in each hand and look back and forth between them )

Judgement::Judgement
or
7 of Swords::7 of Swords

I swear, if I stare at a single card for very long, my mind just peaks and goes dull.
But "side by side" looking back and forth AMPLIFIES the visual impact exponentially.

Proof in the pudding~ at first there's no difference, wait for it, wait for it ~ Pow!

IheartTarot

Lenormand suits

In case anyone here is interested, I have written a blog post about my theory on the significance of Lenormand playing card suits (elemental correspondences).

My post incorporates some history of suit signs in playing cards, Tarot and Lenormand decks as they all play a role. Essentially, I was able to make some sense of the Lenormand suits on the following basis, which may or may not be a coincidence:

1) Assume the following Lenormand/Tarot suit correspondences: Clubs/Pentacles, Hearts/Cups, Spades/Swords, Diamonds/Wands
2) Assume Tarot elemental correspondences (not the common playing card cartomancy meanings)
3) Observe the theme per suit in this context

I posted a link in the Advertisements section yesterday (not allowed here but you can access my blog via my profile).