RWS Tarot 101 Four of Wands

PAMUYA

Hello all, and welcome to all fellow Newbies:

Being new to tarot I want to take the time to explore each card and hear all the different interpretations, and opinions on the cards. Each of us has our own special insights and experiences which we can share and help each other grow in our knowledge of tarot. I read from the Rider/Waite/Smith deck, it would be very interesting to hear from you that work from other decks as well.

I find puting pen to paper, or in this case fingers to keyboard, putting my thoughts in my own words is a great learning tool. So far the responces have been wonderful, filling in gaps and opening new possibilites in my understanding of the cards.

I am calling it Tarot 101 because as a beginner to tarot, I need to start from the basics, and get a base understanding of the cards and suits. I am trying to really look at the card and feel it's meaning. What I was taught in class dosen't always fit what I see in the card. Sometimes I look at a card and it takes me places, gives me feelings, or I see a certain person.

Please feel free to join me. We will start with the Minor Arcana, and work our way through the different suits then work on the Major Arcana, one card per day.

Four of Wands

Looking into the Four of Wands I see we are back at the castle in the Ace of Wands. Again, a lot of yellow, contentment; that is what I am feeling. Time to celebrate, reached a time of completion. A clear celebration, partners holding flowers into the air, castle in the background showing security is close by. Four wands hold up a garland of grapes and flowers. Grapes/abundance, flowers to remind us to enjoy the little things in life, the sweet smell of success. People in the background are conversing/dancing?, enjoying the celebration. Celebrations: the ending of the old to bring in the new. The number 4: stability, achievement, completion, passage, turning point, milestone. This is a very pleasant card, much like a party I would give in my own back yard.

Direct: Cause for Celebration, An engagement/marriage/baby, a goal is achieved, a major commitment.

Reversed: “All work; No Play”, workaholic, relationships may end, problems expressing gratitude, hopes dashed or delayed, need to enjoy the little things in life, delay in engagement/marriage.

This card for me seemed easy to plunge right in, how did you do? What do you see?

HoneyBea

Hi I'm not going to talk about the card but I will give you some of my thoughts on the number 4 and how I think it fits into the tarot sequence. :)

Firstly when I see the No. 4 in this sequence the keywords of security, structure, stability and material completion, seem appropriate. The No. 4 card shows I think, that what has gone on in the previous three cards has now manifested in the 4th and the 4's often become the moment when we reflect upon this.

I see the 3's as the first stage of completion and the 4's as a resting point but not only as a resting point they more often than not act like a bridge to the next phase. The 4's do seem to me to relate to logic, reason and reality, so in reflecting it is what we actually learn at this stage that will help us to continue the journey.

When we look at all the 4's in their suits they seem to show how we should apply this logic and reason.

4 Swords - step back rest and reflect on the situation
4 Cups - reassess your position, look at your attitude
4 Wands - celebrate your achievement, re-affirm your commitment
4 Pentacles - reflect of what giving and receiving is really all about, and how the desire for security may well inhibit your growth.

Just some thoughts on the number 4 ;)

~HoneyBea~

roppo

The scene is from the May Day Festival of England, Cheshire perhaps? So I believe that the card represents the date May 1st in some cases.

and this might be an interesting picture --

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~elfindog/grnwyal.jpg

It's Kate Greenaway, and rather familiar imagery for us, isn't it?

The crowned one

roppo said:
The scene is from the May Day Festival of England, Cheshire perhaps? So I believe that the card represents the date May 1st in some cases.

and this might be an interesting picture --

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~elfindog/grnwyal.jpg

It's Kate Greenaway, and rather familiar imagery for us, isn't it?

Fantastic image. The date puts it right where it needs to be for Pamala to have seen it too. ( I have admired your collection before today.)

PAMUYA

It is a fantastic image..thank you!

rcb30872

Well, to me, the four wands at the front could be like a sort of a distinction of someone that has been out and about doing their own thing, and then there is the threshold, so to speak, and after that is like his home, where his friends, family and loved ones are.

Speaking of thresholds :rolleyes: that immediately makes me think of weddings, well, after the wedding, you know, carrying the bride over the threshold, in a manner of speaking. So, it is like, OK, then it is the honeymoon period. Have some fun, have a bit of rest from the doings and what not, being comfortable, being surrounded by loved ones, family and friends.

Since it can be seen as the "honeymoon" means that yes, you have done well so far, you got what you want, but you need to keep working on to maintain that, which comes later.