Galena

Azarial

I got my son a lot of different types of rocks for Christmas this year. Then I started reading about some of the rocks that I got him, and I noticed that Galena is considered poisonous. Is it safe for an 11 year old to have, or should I just keep that one for myself?

Gooneybird

Azarial said:
I got my son a lot of different types of rocks for Christmas this year. Then I started reading about some of the rocks that I got him, and I noticed that Galena is considered poisonous. Is it safe for an 11 year old to have, or should I just keep that one for myself?
Well, what's he gonna be doing with it? Wearing it might not be a such great idea, but putting it in a collection for display (assuming you have no little toddlers to get into his stuff!) may be ok, if you educate him on its content and to wash hands if he ever handles it.

morticia monroe

Azarial, I have a few galena specimens. Beautiful, aren't they?

Galena is a sulphur compound of lead, and in it's purest form, it is about 87% lead and 13% percent sulphur. We all know how dangerous lead can be. However, the lead in galena is bound with the sulphur, and so it is safe to handle.

If your son will be using his stones for display, and just touching and handling the stone, it should not be a problem.

But if it were me, I don't think I'd give it to him, just to err on the safe side.

Just one Mama's opinion.