How does your garden grow?

sharpchick

Get some full spectrum light bulbs that fit in standard lamps. If your lampshade can be tilted, you can leave the shade on, if not, remove it for 4-6 hours a day.

Heckta

sharpchick said:
Get some full spectrum light bulbs that fit in standard lamps. If your lampshade can be tilted, you can leave the shade on, if not, remove it for 4-6 hours a day.

Thumbs up on that sharpchick, I don't see any other way. I would love to have natural light but, I'll do what must be done.

sharpchick

I buy mine at Home Depot here. . . I suspect any home center store will have them.

They look weird, three tubes bent into a "U" in the bulb. I use them in my den where I have my parrots (they are also in the overhead fixture with the globe off) and many indoor plants.

Sophie

I'm harvesting coriander seeds at the moment, and had the first basil flowers appear - also good for seeds. I put the whole flower in a bottle of olive oil and let it macerate for a week or so - then use it. Delicious!

Sunflowers are out in full glory, turning this way and that, following the sun.

On the whole the roses are not suffering too much in the heat - at least the Bolshoi and the Poesie. The Eden climbers aren't too happy - but then they never were. I don't think they like my roof terrace and this year they've been decimated by flies, though I have sprayed them (with organic spray) religiously.

The lemon verbena is doing very well too! I shall soon be able to pick and dry it for tea, but for now, I enjoy the smell when I sit outside near it, and it keeps the mossies away. Good tangy taste in salads, too.

ravenest

I have a grove around my cabin and thats v. shadey, also verandah, I use low light plants, ferns love it, or any indoor variety (it depends on what you want to grow I suppose). If you have part access to light and your plants are in pots you can do a rotation. ie, keep some plants in the sun and some in low light then rotate every few days.

Heckta

I am thinking I will definitely use spectrum light bulbs and obtain plant stands that are about a foot wide that would fit between my couch and window sill. So I can get some natural light and use the spectrum light to make up for the lack of light. I found a site on gardener supplies online and I believe I can get most of everything I need there from stands to seeds. I do have a Home Depot near by so I will check them out as well for the spectrum light bulbs and stands. Basically, I will create my own indoor light garden. May be even a mini greenhouse. I am planning to grow Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, English Lavender, peppermint and possible more. I 've been researching several sites on growing herbs for the first time and looking into the old farmers almanac for more info. I have planets so I do have a green thumb but, I know herbs can be different. Thanks guys for your help .:)

ravenest

I've started harvesting sugar-snap and snow peas... yum! Cut my broccoli heads off and ate them, more grew back, ate them too, now even more growing.

Heckta

Wow! I just planted my herbs last week Thursday and I am already seeing signs of growth. Specifically, Thyme and Rosemary. I think I am seeing some signs of my Lavendar sprouting as well. I am so excited! :)

sharpchick

This spring, I got hold of the first prostrate rosemary I've ever planted. I love the form of the plant, and it seems to really love its location.

redflash

My garden is coming along very slowly ! Never have a lot of spare time but it's a start ! Got thyme, basil, curly parsley (which looks like a weed ! ), mint ( which looks like a nettle ! ) & some other herbs that I have forgotten the name of, begonias, lobelias,peony,verbena, honeysuckle, busy lizzies, pansies, asters etc. Started growing my own lavender from seed early this year, I planted a big tray but only 2 plants came through. Bit disappointed with them. Got a buddlia for the butterflies & my 2 black elder bushes are growing quicker than anything I have ever seen! My partner thinks they look like weeds but I love them.

When I bought the peony from the garden centre, there was this weird little plant in the pot with it. Think it might be some sort of cactus. So I will leave it alone & see what comes of it.

Having major trouble getting rid of the hedge bindweed. It looks so beautiful, with its white trumpet flowers. Can't believe something that pretty can do the damage it does !