Cartomancers - What Playing Card Deck Do You Use?

Logiatrix

I recently found a large print poker deck by Bicycle, and I love it! So my old deck (a gift from Grandma) has been retired to the collection for now. It made me curious about what other cartomancers are reading with. I've not noticed that it was discussed at length before. So, for those who read playing cards, what deck do you use?
:)

celticnoodle

Wow Logiatrix! I think it's wonderful that you have your grandmother's cards to read with! I purchased a deck of cards - bicycle like you, to read with.

I have read in cartomancy books, (don't know which one(s) they are today), that it's fine to also use these cards to play regular card games with too. I actually like a deck that is worn as it feels 'warm' to me and more inviting. I do like my playing cards, and these were the first cards I learned to read with, but at times I do find myself more drawn to the Rider Waite deck, (my 2nd deck for reading, but 1st tarot deck).

While, I probably 'prefer' playing cards, (seem to be more mystical to me, and at times more accurate), I just allow my whims to choose the deck for each reading.

Joermit

Hello!

I read with the blue backed Bicycle deck... playing cards sure do hold up pretty well! I've really used one deck in particular for the last 8 months or so and it's held up much better than some of my tarot decks that I've used just as much... dunno if it's the plastic coating or the smaller size... but I shuffle and shuffle and bridge and raffle and etc, etc, etc... and no bent cards, no corners lifting... it's quite nice... I've looked for some other decks to read with.. but I like my Bicycle... I also have Jane Lyle's deck from her Fortune Teller's Deck, and I love the cards, in their antiquey look, but don't like how the aces as so different... wish there were a deck like Lyle's, in that cool antiquey brown, but with standard playing card pictures...

Joey

Phoenix Rising

The ones I use mostly..are "Stratus" by cartamundi...and I always get the red back ones, just in case I lose a card, so I can replace with another card from another deck...I also like the linen finish.
My friend Lisa a professional cartomancer(PC's) uses the "Fortune telling deck" which is a playing card deck, but also has 22 illustrated cards with it, however she discards those ones. Hers are so worn, which I think people actually like, because in their minds, they know she has been doing it for years and it seems more mysterious to them.

If I was to buy another brand of PC's it would probably be "Bicycle deck" my friend who is the website owner of Oracle cards says the Bicycle deck is one of the oldest designs for the Ace of Spade. The Ace of Spade was the symbol of the "Order of the Magi" probably why all company logo's are always on the Ace of Spade, as well as it being the only Ace with a "design" on them.

Rosanne

I have several books that show Playing cards- but I would like to look at what is available to buy now that will not take a Kings Ransom. Can anyone tell me where some sites are? If the books are accurate there must be some beautiful playing cards out there- aside from the ones that you can buy as a tourist with scenes of ones Country on them.~Rosanne

Phoenix Rising

Hi Rosanne
For fortune telling playing card decks..Jane Lyle or Sophia, book and card decks, they are lovely decks. I forget the author of the Playing card deck Lisa uses. Gypsy or Witch fortune telling deck (the backs are purple with a design "similliar" to the Star of David)

The last cartomancy book I read and am using her method at the moment, is Deborah Leigh's "Personal Prophecy: creating your destiny" she doesn't have a deck, but just uses, a poker deck..and just buys the same deck, so she can also replace missing or bent cards. Most "inexpensive" deck you can buy are playing cards.

However I would never use Jumbo or mini decks to read with..some how to me it just loses that mystical edge...just a personal thing.

Sheri

I've been using a deck that came with my Texas Hold'em set. They are working well, although I would love to find a deck with some character. I am thinking that a deck that is a reproduction of an 19th century deck would do as it is readily available. It is cool to have a deck with so much history handed down! I wish...I guess that I am the one in my family to do the handing down :)

valeria

Sammie

Arn de Gothia

I'm just starting with playing card cartomancy and wanted a nice deck to use, I looked around at playingcardsales.com until I found this one:

http://www.playingcardsales.co.uk/cards/moreimages/14147_8_arn_de_gothia.jpg

and bought it. It is really lovely. The court cards kind of match the descriptions of the type of people the court cards are supposed to represent. The Queen of Spades is dark, the Queen of Hearts is fair, etc.

I also have Janes Lyle's deck that came with her book which is very nice and also another deck that came with Sophia's Fortune Telling book which is very nice.

Little Baron

They are really nice Sammie.

I have been using 'any old', to be honest.

But my parents bought me some nice antique sets.

And I have a Ghost set on the way, from the kind Europides. So I am looking forward to that.

LB