How does your garden grow '07!

Ankou

Hey folks,

I know I haven't been around AT in a while, but now that I'm starting to put seeds in the ground and watching the first little shoots come up, I thought I'd check in again.

I'm still fighting my poor "killing thumb" but I've been making excellent use of old chinese food containers and soda bottles and the mini greenhouse landscape gets bigger every day! I've got some bulbs in the ground and am viciously weeding around my wild mint and rose patches, trying to keep the little weedys from getting an early hold.

We've hit another little cold snap here on the East Coast US, and I've spent most of the day staring out the window, trying to will my little sprouts hardiness through the chilly weather.

I'm definately going to invest in starts this year...Hubby is just going to have to eat out a little less often ;) Good thing he can cook! (I certainly can't!)
Anywho... seeds I've got starting in the greenhouse city...

Lavender, Chamomile, peppermint, bergamot, tarragon, anise, sage, cilantro, catnip, basil, and some others I can't think of at the moment... hee....

My chives from last year are still thriving, despite my lack of skill. Our arrangement is I leave them alone and they'll grow...it works pretty well. The wild rose is propogating, and I'm trying some cuttings, from a light prunning. I'm slowly picking up little tricks and tips. In about 40 years My thumb might start turning green :)

So how about everyone else? I saw the thread about MingBop's dream garden... How does it grow?

Love Ankou

Briar Rose

I am further up north than you, in Massachuettes, ski ridge country.

We had snow all day. No garden yet.

BodhiSeed

Hi Ankou!
As I'm expecting my first grandchild in June, I've scaled back my herb garden a tad. I'm still growing my "tea" garden of bee balm, catnip, lemon balm and mint. I also have a few that I use for cooking: rosemary, basil, thyme and sweet marjoram. Though I expect to be busy playing with my grandson, I can't imagine not having a few herbs around!

Bodhran

LadyMedusa

I have a black thumb :(

My 13 yr old daughter however can make dog biscuits bloom :p.

She is currently sprouting parsley, thyme, chive, cilantro, and basil in pots on the kitchen table. Once the weather finally breaks she plans to add some small plants she is getting from the neighbor's garden (with permission of course).

LadyMedusa

Guiding Cauldron

gardening :)

I LOVE love love gardening. I try to grow from seeds, but will buy a ready plant as well from time to time.

Thus far I have:
apple trees - 2
eucolyptus tree- 1
spearmint
chocolate mint
roman chamomile
a lavendar bush
sweet peas flowers
hyssop herbs
spinach
carrots
carnations
privet bush topiary- buterfly shape
parsley
british mint
morraccan mint
orange mint
rosemary
mini gladiolus flowers
perious bush
pinkjasmine
corkscrew grass
calla lilies- 2
avocado
garlic
and working on some more seeds now that theres no more frosts!
i love sitting out n the evening listening to the seashell windchime, have a glass of wine and sitting on my wicker loveseat chair. with a candle terra cotta pot near by. :) bright blesings and happy growings!

Mi-Shell

So...
how does my garden grow?
under half a foot of brand new snow!!

Nothing can go in 'til May
we still have frost by night and day!

Ankou

Ah bless your hearts all you still snow bound! And here I sit worrying myself about the 30 deg nights... May all your weathers turn soon, so you too can enjoy the smells of fresh cut herbs in your hands and flowers at your door steps.

Sunshine, How many types of mint does a person need! Although I admit to having at least two different mints in my yard, I couldn't tell you what kind they are, alas they were here before me... I think a big part of my persistance with seeds is that I feel I'll recognise everything better if I grow it from the cradle...

brrrrr... Spring, come on!!!!!

Ankou

PS Bodhran Hello to you too! Your the lucky one with a little tyke to play with! Plenty of things for you to watch grow this year! My neighbor had a little one just 5 days ago. Maybe when she's a little bigger I can cash in on some baby sitting time. I may not want any of my own, but I do so love borrowing them from time to time :)

ravenest

We have just turned to autmn here.
I have had SO many peppers big green banana capsicums, not hot, but a bit peppery, they are great. Had em ina thai curry last night, but they are great stuffed and baked in a tamatoe sauce (stuff with rice, onion mushroom garlic and a splash of poomegranite juice (the middle eastern version)

Also SOOOOOOOO many magic purple king beans, they are purple then go green when cooked and when older you can shell them and cook the beans like peas, they are very tasty.

The growth has slowed dowwn thank goodness, now I can weed and mow and it doesnt get overgrown in 3 days. Time to dig up the vegie beds and plant green manure crops.

I've had some AMAZING bromiliad flowers latley ... ah, its all wonderfull!

lark

I have a hundred perenials under grow lights in the basement..did some clean up in the beds and herb garden....but now it's turned very cold again in the low 30's.
I'm just aching to get outdside again.

sharpchick

We've had the warmest March in many years this year, and I was well behaved. Only started some seeds of flowering annuals in the beds at the end of the month - we got rain and the seeds sprouted. All my flowering trees and shrubs bloomed. I carefully took mulch off the perennial beds. My climbing rose is just loaded with flowerbuds.

Fast forward one week. . . I was running my air conditioning this past Monday - the high that day was 85F. Last night I had to drape everything with my hodgepodge collection of old bedsheets, shower curtains and tablecloths, because we have had a killing freeze and will have another tonight. I brought all the small potted plants inside to my den.

:eek: Mother Nature always has the last laugh in the game of cycles.