How does your garden grow '07!

Guiding Cauldron

Ankou

Sunshine, How many types of mint does a person need! Although I admit to having at least two different mints in my yard, I couldn't tell you what kind they are, alas they were here before me... I think a big part of my persistance with seeds is that I feel I'll recognise everything better if I grow it from the cradle...

Mint- lol we have a lot of mint yes but really different in flavours. Some goes well to make a hot T, one is for mint sauce with lamb, and teh other mint is great for potato salads :) Besides i'm in england we LOVE our mint for food, drinks, dessert you name it! lol

wumpkie

sunshineluvr said:
we LOVE our mint for food, drinks, dessert you name it! lol
OOOooooh yes :D

I've never been one for gardening, but this year I have got into it, thanks to my mum. I'm trying to grow potatoes in a pot seeing that they are easy to grow and some herbs. Ooo and not to forget my bamboo in my bedroom which rather than growing I'm trying to keep alive :bugeyed:
On monday I think I will buy some crystals to help along the process like moss agate and some more clear quartz.

I fancy lamb chops now... :p

Major Tom

I've attached photos of the lavendar and strawberries I planted in the vineyard recently. All grown organically, except I'm not certified. ;)

Attachments

• strawberries070406.jpg
    strawberries070406.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 115
  • lavendar070406.jpg
    lavendar070406.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 112

wumpkie

I love lavender, and I'm only just down the road from the Norfolk Lavender centre. On a different note... WOW you must have a really big garden to have a vinyard :D

Lillie

A month or so back we bunged a weeping cherry tree in the front garden.

It seems to have took, cos it is has loads of buds that are about to come out in blossom and leaves.

Which will be nice.

I'm glad it took, it would have been sad if it hadn't.

Elnor

Do you make your own wine, Major Tom?
I've had some from the Lamberhurst vineyards in Kent... English wine is luuuvely!

My poor garden is a bit of a joke, really. Because I haven't got one, (I'm on the 1st floor in the Victorian house where I live... so no garden access).
But the next door neighbour let his little front patch go to weeds, so several years ago I asked if he minded if I stuck some things out there- he was all for it.

So now whenever someone gives me bulbs or seeds, I put them out there- don't want to spend TOO much time or effort on it, in case he moves and a new neighbour might not be so willing to let me carry on with it, so it's a bit wild... daffodils, wild marigolds, and some dahlia bulbs I got last year for £1 but that did surprisingly well.

My poppies, (from seeds gathered when I went to Cornwall on holiday) last year were lovely- mauve and lavender! so I've re-seeded them again this year and am hoping they do as well again.

I can't really have any herbs out there- despite being a residential road, with a park opposite, the traffic is dreadful- I'd end up with carbon monoxide poisoning if I used anything grown out there in food! I envy those of you with herb plots. :cool:

elnor

Guiding Cauldron

ahh gardening :)

well i made a willow trellis the other day for my sweet peas to climb, planted some spearmint, chocolate mint, and roman chamomile as well. :) Also added a beautiful cast iron chimenea in my garden space I can cook in it or just use it for a firepit to keep warm at night, lovley! Made another trellis teepee for my glads as they kept falling over, and repotted some plants to bigger spaces :) May your gardens grow beautifully for you xx

Major Tom

wumpkie said:
WOW you must have a really big garden to have a vinyard :D

It's an allotment. You can read all about it on my website. ;)

Elnor said:
Do you make your own wine, Major Tom?

I do. You'll find a photo of the wine in demijohns on my website. I've just bottled it but haven't yet designed the label. Photos coming soon.

Have you thought of growing herbs indoors on your windowsills?

sunshineluvr - You make such beautiful wands. Would you like a piece of grapevine for a wand?

Ankou

Elnor- I'm in much the same spot living in downtown DC, but I figure I'm just building my immune system up ;) Plus, most of my herbs get used in craft projects... Never hurts to have nice smelly things hanging about the house, even if your not comfortable consuming them.

Major Tom- You lucky fellow, I didn't realize you could keep a vineyard in those climates? Certified LOL!!! hee hee....

Guiding Cauldron

major tom

I do. You'll find a photo of the wine in demijohns on my website. I've just bottled it but haven't yet designed the label. Photos coming soon.

i'LL HAVE TO TAKE A PEEK AT THAT, SOUNDS AMAZING :)

sunshineluvr - You make such beautiful wands. Would you like a piece of grapevine for a wand?[/QUOTE]

AWWW TY FOR THAT. YOUR PRAISE AND YOUR OFFER THAT IS. I WOULD LOVE A PIECE OF GRAPEVINE! I'VE ALWAYS FELT THAT GRAPEVINES ARE SUCH PILLARS OF STRENGTH AND LONGEVITY. WITH YOUR PRAISE NOW I KNOW I'M DOING THE RIGHT THING ON MAKEING MORE WANDS OUT OF OAK WOOD- 5 CURRENTLY. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO FOR YOU IN RETURN OF THIS GIFT FROM YOU TOM? GIVE SOME IDEAS AND I'LL SEE WHAT I CAN DO FOR YOU. BRIGHT BLESINGS XX