Thoth Tarot PC Program

Eikon

Hi everyone. I am a long time lurker and a first time poster. It's because of this message board that I decided to buy a Thoth deck, even though it was my first deck ever. I am still a newbie to Tarot in general, but I'm learning a lot by reading Crowley's indepth descriptions in The Book of Thoth.

I work as a computer programmer for a banking company during the day, and at night I use my skills to write games and other entertaining programs. It's much more fun than crunching numbers :)

I made this post here today because I have begun work on a Thoth Tarot program, it's being crafted to closely match the style of Windows Solitaire. It's still in a very early stage; barely usable, but I thought I should submit it here to the Thoth experts so I can get your valuble input, to make the final version as good as possible.

*Update* 07.13.06 (Most of the description listed here is out of date, the program is now complete)
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
Screenshot 3

DOWNLOAD 1.99MB version 1.0

Keep in mind that this is only a test, and much of the core functionality is missing, mainly the card descriptions. I am asking you to download and try the program, looking for areas of improvement. Here's some things I have planned that are not yet in this release

* Option to include/exclude Major, Minor, or Court Cards.
* Notes window that will save your scribblings for review in the future
* Complete Book of Thoth to be included in HTML format
* Descriptions for every card by James Wasserman and Lady Frieda Harris
* Table Image as well as color option
* User defined spreads so that the Celtic Cross (for example) can be dealt with the click of a button.

Suggested art for more card backs would be a good place to start. If I get some good feedback I will continue to release new versions with your suggestions in this thread. I appreciate any input you can offer and I want to thank you for this great community. Regards,

Eikon

Vincent

Eikon said:

Suggested art for more card backs would be a good place to start. If I get some good feedback I will continue to release new versions with your suggestions in this thread. I appreciate any input you can offer and I want to thank you for this great community. Regards,
Eikon

I had a look at the program, and I quite like it.

I do have some feedback.

I'd like to be able to maximize that card window and have more than one window open at the same time.

I'd like the shuffled pile to be at least as big as the original cards, preferably adjustable.

It might be nice to have an option to show the attributions instantly. ie path, letter, astrological, etc...

I take it the shuffle and spread options aren't quite functional yet, so I will reserve any comment.

I like the idea of having the Book of Thoth incorporated by way of hyperlink, but are you going to have any problem with copyright?

I believe there was a site taken down recently, owing to copyright problems, although it does exist online, out there somewhere.

Thanks for taking the trouble... is it going to be free?

Vincent

Eikon

Hi Vincent,

I just finished up the new version and some of your suggestions have been implemented. This marks the halfway point for the project, the next release will be a public and final one. That means it's also my last chance to get user feedback so please try the new version and tell me what irks you and what should be there that isn't.

Version 0.3.1 additions:
- Reversals working
- You are now able to open an infinite amount of card windows and they are also resizable
- User.cfg file that saves your settings so that the program will reopen the way you left it
- New large and small card option
- Every card image has been replaced with a new higher resolution one.
- Book of Thoth included
- Note window complete that saves your writings for later
- Descriptions added for almost all the Major Arcana.
- More card back designs

I like the idea of having the Book of Thoth incorporated by way of hyperlink, but are you going to have any problem with copyright?
I am simply supplying the web site as it exists on the net, If I am contacted by anyone because of legal issues it will be removed immediately.

Thanks for taking the trouble... is it going to be free?
Yes it will be free, and when I release the final version the source code to the program will also be included.

One thing I want to get your input on is whether or not I should show the card reversed in it's description window. Not sure how people feel about this. Thank you again for your time,

Eikon

Vincent

Eikon said:

One thing I want to get your input on is whether or not I should show the card reversed in it's description window. Not sure how people feel about this. Thank you again for your time,
Eikon
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "reversed".

Do you mean a mirror image of the card, or do you mean "reversed" in a Tarot sense, which would be upside-down.

Either way, I can't really see the point. The Thoth deck was not designed to use "reversals", in a traditional Tarot sense, where the meaning of the card is modified in some way, simply because it is upside down. Nevertheless, some people might like it.

I'll download the new version and have a look at it.

Thanks again for taking the trouble.

Vincent

Eikon

Doh. Forgot Crowley said it wasn't designed for reversals, only dignification. I'm still very new to Tarot, and one question that I've had is about a major card being well/ill diginified. I understand about Wands <> Cups and Swords <> Disks, but how do I tell what's hostile to a major card?

Is Thoth so anti reversal that you think I should remove the option? Does anyone use them at all? The reversal I was talking about was the card physically upside down, and whether or not it should appear that way in the description window.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

suntzu

Hi there,
Compliments for your THOTH pc program!
I really looked forward to this program.
If I may suggest a resolution upgrade for the cards jpegs?
I changed some jpegs in your program with scans of my own (40Kb) and it looks so much nicer, especially right-clicked.
Another suggestion, if I may, is a fully customisible spread;
For example I do the Opening of the Key spread of the Golden Dawn in which I cut the 78 cards in two after which I cut the two halves again in two, so I have four stacks for YHVH.
I look in which pack the Significator is and then spread that stack
in horse shoe form.

Thanks again for your work,

Suntzu

Eikon

Hello suntzu,
Thank you for evaluating my program.

If I may suggest a resolution upgrade for the cards jpegs?
I changed some jpegs in your program with scans of my own (40Kb) and it looks so much nicer, especially right-clicked.
I wish I could find some. The cards in there now are the highest quality ones I could find on the net. I don't have a scanner, only a digital camera, and it doesn't do any better. If you have the time to make any scans for me I would really appreciate it. I understand that the quality of the card images are the single most important aspect to the program and I want to get them right.

Another suggestion, if I may, is a fully customisible spread; For example I do the Opening of the Key spread of the Golden Dawn in which I cut the 78 cards in two after which I cut the two halves again in two, so I have four stacks for YHVH.
I do plan on having a custom spread that users can define in a text file, but I'm not sure if this kind of shuffle configuration will be possible. Basically the files will include the card number and position it will be placed, I will look into different shuffle options, I definitely need to add a "Cut" feature at least.

Take care,

Eikon

Vincent

Eikon said:
Doh. Forgot Crowley said it wasn't designed for reversals, only dignification. I'm still very new to Tarot, and one question that I've had is about a major card being well/ill diginified. I understand about Wands <> Cups and Swords <> Disks, but how do I tell what's hostile to a major card?
There is a list here, as well as a lot of other good information on elemental dignities;
http://www.supertarot.co.uk/meaning/19sim.htm

Not everyone agrees on these attributions, but that's nothing new in Tarot.

Now, if you could get the program to show graphically the elemental relationship between two (or more) cards, that would be a superb addition. It sounds like a lot of hard work though.
Eikon said:

Is Thoth so anti reversal that you think I should remove the option? Does anyone use them at all? The reversal I was talking about was the card physically upside down, and whether or not it should appear that way in the description window.
No, I don't think you should remove any option. I love options. And, I am sure that some people out there do use the Thoth deck with reversals. It might be a bit of a problem for you to come with an authorititave divinatory meaning for a reversed Thoth card though.

Vincent

Aure

This sounds really interesting! I have to check out the program today.

If and when the software version is stable and complete enough, it would be seriously cool to try to port it for PDAs (just having my Palmone Zire 72 in mind).

I have been looking for software on Thoth a long time but I guess I haven't yet been good enough to program one myself...

----------------

Okay, I took a look at the program. What did you use to code it? I haven't taken a closer look at the code so I don't know.

It looks quite nice even though the user interface could be more clearer. When I first opened it I didn't know what to do and I didn't realize that the image in the bottom right corner was a card stack.

Is it possible to use a frame layout? What I mean is that the meaning of the card could be also viewed at the same time in the main window but in a different frame.

In all, it seems that this will be a good program once it is further developed. I actually got interested myself in programming again when I saw this! I might be interested in participating in the future if needed.

Grigori

Please help the technically challenged

Um... forgive my ignorance, but how do you install this program? I've downloaded the zip file, extracted the contents but can't find the getupandrunning.exe part.

All I can figure out is the folder full of pictures, folder full of text for the book, and a few more icons that seem to be about text, and don't seem to do anything when I click on them.