HallowQuest Lesson One: Meditation and Diary Keeping

merissa_88

3 card reading and reversals

I have the reprint of this deck. It has a booklet with reversals. It looks like the deck that came with the course doesn't.

I was thinking about not using reversals for the 3 card and other readings that go with the course. I've been using them so far and they can be limiting. Is anyone else doing this or are you all using reversals?

This probably doesn't matter, but I am curious.

Merissa

Aerin

I never use this deck with reversals, partly because the original book told me not to (and I was very new to Tarot at the time so just followed what they said) and partly because it has never appealed to me with this deck. I have thought about it but never done it or wanted to do it.

The backs of the original deck are non-reversible.

I say, do what works for you...

Wandering around the UK upside-down has really never appealed to me :D

The full range of meanings is always available anyway, regardless of whether you physically place cards upside-down.

witchychris

I never use reversals anyway, as I find that I get more from the card looking at it with the image the correct way up. Also as Aerin says the book for this deck specifically stated that it wasn't designed with reversals in mind and that you should turn any upside down cards the right way up. That said there is no right and wrong so if using reversals works for you then go for it.

merissa_88

Thanks! Think I'm going to try it for a while without reversals. :)

Aerin

Will be interested to hear how you get on :)

aduki

I came across this book in our local library. I got very enthusiast reading it, so I’ll give it a try. I don’t know how long I’m gone keep this up. I don’t have the cards, but I’ll just start using cards from other decks & some scans I found on the internet. After a while I’ll buy the book & the deck, if it feels like something I want to continue.

As it is already the 20th of March, I would like to do the spring ritual one of these days, and mix the first 5 lessons with the one’s starting from 6.

Mmm, seems like I’m going to do this my own way. :)

Tasks:

- “Flip through the pages and read what you like.”
I have done a lot of this, last week, reading bits and pieces everywhere. I did the Spiral Tower Spread on page 240 with my Universal Waite Deck.

- “What is the most important factor in this course for me?”
I drew 1 card from my Shadowscapes Tarot Deck to answer this question: Nine of Pentacles
My interpretation just looking at the card:
- Restore my contact with nature (e.g. not just doing a Spring ritual inside my room, but actually going outside experiencing the season).
- Bring my own music into the world.
- Accept that things go slowly.
The first sentence from the Shadowscapes book: “Her spiritual being is in communion with the material aspects of her life.” Waw, if this is what this course is going to bring for me, then I'll definitely go for it!

merissa_88

Hi aduki! That's so cool that you found the book in the library.

I'm doing the ritual today (late). had a really busy equinox/full moon weekend!

Peace, merissa

Flaxen

OK, I'm setting off on my Hallowquest journey. :)

Lesson 1:
1)What preparations do you need to make?
Well, I have the deck (1st version with black border), the Hallowquest course book and a notebook to keep impressions in. On a practical level, I will need to make sure that I have my cards, notebook and pen easily accessible. This will ensure I have a regular prompt and make it easier for me to keep up.

2)What changes to your routine?
This is the bit I will need to think about carefully. I will easily keep up with the meditations and daily draws while on holiday but it is going to be difficult to keep up this discipline once the school term starts. I need to find a regular quiet time and can do that fairly easily for 4 out of the 7 days a week. It's the other 3 I'm going to have to think carefully about...

3)What is the most important factor in the course for me?
I drew 3 cards at random: Sword Knight - Grail two - Grail King
The Sword Knight reminds me of setting off on this quest in the first place. He is motivated by an ideal which echoes my own feelings. I want to get on that horse and find that path. He holds the sword of light reflecting the illumination I seek. In fact, all 3 cards have a wonderful light, illuminating quality. The tower on the hill reminds me of Glastonbury Tor and an Otherworldly presence.
Grail 2 is such a beautiful image - the 2 turtle doves speak so clearly of love and devotion. I get a strong feeling of peace when I look at this card. It reflects my real-life relationships and also my desire to find that peace and devotion in a divine relationship.
The Grail King is an image I love. It reminds me of woods and how much I enjoy resting next to trees. The energy is very similar to a spot I know in real life. :) He is inviting me to join him and reminds me that there will be help when I find the quest confusing. He gives me the chance to explore hidden mysteries. Both grails also speak to me of deep healing and nourishment.

The Card Meditation:
I chose to focus on the Sword Knight as he speaks to clearly of the quest I'm starting.
I meet the knight and he waves his sword in front of me. 'See how my sword is illumed by light.' I explain my desire for the quest. 'The light of the Sword is not the aim. The aim of the quest is to become the sword yourself so that the whole of your being is illumed by divine light. Are you up to the task?' I explain that I'm not sure but that I'm willing to try. He invites me onto his horse and we ride to a woodland stream. He reaches down and pulls a golden grail from the stream and tells me to drink. 'The light cannot illume a sword which is broken. Begin your quest with the grail.' I drink and notice a long, old, rusty sword standing in the ground beside me. 'I will lend you this sword until you have one of your own.' (I wanted to write won instead of 'one') A beautiful woman appears and gives me a richly embroidered scabbard. It looks like cross-stitch and the colours red and white intertwine like dragons. She declares I will get a new one when I have a sword of my own.

I found that this meditation soon took on a life of its own, leading me to places outside of the original image. I find the notion of becoming the sword yourself very interesting as it speaks of the deep transformation which is possible. I feel heartened by the suggestion to start with the Grails - this was on my plan according to season anyway and also feels intuitively right...emotional healing needs to be done. The pun with the words one/won is also giving me much food for thought.

Flaxen

A brief update:
Seems that the sword which the knight wields has other purposes for me. It shone a light in a very dark place today and gave me a rather sad realisation. Don't quite know where to put this new-found knowledge - it's left me feeling apprehensive about what the rest of this quest will reveal.

PathWalker

I enjoyed reading about your meditation Flaxen, and thought it powerful, and positive. I have found that sometimes the ripples do spread from something I've meditated on, or read about, and make me see 'ordianry' things in a differnt light. I'm sorry if this has happened and been uncomforatble for you. Was it ultimately for the good do you think?

I'd just say work at it at your own pace, let each lesson seem 'finished' before you tackle the next. It is the learning and the journey which are so important, not ticking things off the list (you know what I mean, I hope. And I'm not meaning any disrespect, just saying that for me I couldn't hurry the process).

Take care
Pathwalker