Ape of Thoth flawed!

Edge

Hello, I've been comparing decks, am still not finished with the project yet but did find this flaw on the Magus card. Am wondering if anyone else has encountered this on the "greenie" Magus card?

Pic 1 is two Magus cards, 1 is from the large green box edition, the other the white box greenie. It should be pretty clear what I'm talking about.

Also compare the other two pics I've attached. This is obviously a flaw in the printing but it's pretty significant I think. Again, am wondering if others have this on their Magus card. Time permitting I'm hoping to finish examining the greenie deck today. Will be happy to share my findings with those interested.

Attachments

• magus_cards.JPG
    magus_cards.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 276
  • magus_flaw.JPG
    magus_flaw.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 264
  • magus_lrg_green_box.JPG
    magus_lrg_green_box.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 251

Abrac

Hi edge-

I'm assuming you're referring to the yellow spot on the monkey's left leg? Interesting observation. My greenie doesn't have it.

Edge

Yes, that is what I'm referring to Abrac. This is exactly the kind of information I'm after. That is.. wondering if any other owners of the greenie deck have the same noticeable flaw on that Magus. This is simply a matter of personal curiosity mainly. As I'm not really aware of how the printing process works, I imagine that someone else is bound to have the same card. This is assuming of course that this is not some kind of damage to this particular deck. But I'm not really leaning towards that.

Emily

Hi Edge,

I have the white box greenie and mine doesn't have the spot either.

Fulgour

Hi Edge

Here's an interesting variation, but without
the mysterious addition shown on yours...
Something about these details is engaging.

Click on: to view.

Lillie

No dot on the ape.
But I have the red mark on the priestesses eye.

My deck dates from about 2000, or that's when the original owner says he bought it.
So, one of the last greenies.
The LWB has 12 as the lowest number in the publication details.
The back, in the contact info, gives an email addy,
And on the front is a gold website sticker.

Is yours the same? If so it would seem that the red mark (but not the ape dot) is particular to that edition.

The email/web things seem to support the date of around 2000. They would certainly not have been on a deck sold in the 80's!

Lot's of decks have tiny marks and stuff.
Quite often you see a circle, like a bubble of ink formed and left a circle instead of going on right.
But I never mind about these little things. Ibarely notice them.
I reckon you would be hard put to find any deck that was 100% perfect.

Edge

Lillie said:
The LWB has 12 as the lowest number in the publication details.
Please clairify, LWB?

Lillie said:
The back, in the contact info, gives an email addy,
And on the front is a gold website sticker.
No mine does not have an email addy or gold web site sticker. But the Priestess does have that red dot.
Lillie said:
I reckon you would be hard put to find any deck that was 100% perfect.
Correct,this has been my first opportunity to compare different additions of the Thoth, it has been an interesting process. The examination is not meant to be overly critical of minor imperfections. On the other hand I thought this was a significant marking and certainly seems to give a certain uniqueness to this deck. Regarding the date of issue, there are a couple clues; the OTO card reveals Hymenaeus Alpha as Caliph (sucessor to AC) which would place the time of issue as early as 1978 but no later than 85. The copyright on the card and booklet is 1978. Now does anyone know of a site where I can enter the ISBN info for further information?

Fulgour said:
Here's an interesting variation, but without
the mysterious addition shown on yours...
Something about these details is engaging.

Click on: to view.

Ok Fulgour, this is obviously a trimmed greenie correct?

Fulgour

Edge said:
Ok Fulgour, this is obviously a trimmed greenie correct?
I found it on Google using "thoth magus" for search words.

http://images.google.com/

PS: None of my 6 Thoth decks (all different editions) has the ball.

Edge

Fulgour said:
I found it on Google using "thoth magus" for search words..

Ah, wasn't sure what your point was...

Fulgour said:
PS: None of my 6 Thoth decks (all different editions) has the ball.
? The ball.. is that what we're calling it now? (regarding the ape) or have I missed your point completely? I should go to bed, it's late. It is however becoming apparent to me that I am in possession of a Magus with a little something extra. Wonder what the esoteric meaning(s) will be. (jk) :)

Abrac

Edge said:
Regarding the date of issue, there are a couple clues; the OTO card reveals Hymenaeus Alpha as Caliph (sucessor to AC) which would place the time of issue as early as 1978 but no later than 85. The copyright on the card and booklet is 1978.
Hmmm...this is kinda cool. If this be correct, my greenie is probably from right around '85. It also has a red dot on The Priestess' eye.

My OTO card is dated 1978 and has Hymenaeus Alpha's name on it, but the LWB is dated 1978, 83. So the actual deck must be from between '83-'85. Lillie said her LWB has 12 as the lowest number. My numbers are 10 9 8, so mine is several years before hers. Email addys were becoming common by '95, so it's conceivable that your deck, Lillie, was printed sometime between '95 and 2000. Mine doesn't have any email addys. But an interesting aside from all this is the Stamford, CT addy associated with my deck. It would appear US Games relocated to CT around 1985. This would solve the last remaining riddle (to my mind anyway) as to the US Games address timeline.

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread Edge. It's just that I find this all very fascinating.