Confused over Court.

Muser257

Ok, im really confused over the court structure. Is the Knight now king and the Prince the Knight, or is the Prince still the King? It just seems odd that the price would pair of with a Queen when they have a princess to go with.

Could someone clear this up for me.

Thanks

Formicida

The Knight is indeed the highest court card, instead of a King. So if you're ranking them, it would go:
Knight
Queen
Prince
Princess

That said, I don't think I would interpret the Knight as I would a RWS King--any more than a Princess is exactly the same as a Page. I'd say that the Knight carries the energy that the name implies and might be read as more active than a seated King.

I find it's usually best to throw out preconceived notions about the relative meanings of the courts that tend to be mainly RWS-based, and read them as they are in this deck. Don't try to force them into a structure that isn't there.

Edge

Formicida summed it up pretty well. I recommend one abandon anything they have previously learned or think they know when first approaching the Thoth. Most certainly this includes the courts. Throw out any RWS rubbish. Read and study BOT and numerous other new Aeon text.

The Hanged Man

Muser257 said:
Ok, im really confused over the court structure. Is the Knight now king and the Prince the Knight, or is the Prince still the King? It just seems odd that the price would pair of with a Queen when they have a princess to go with.

Could someone clear this up for me.

Thanks

I detect Crowley's influence. Do yourself a favour and throw him out with the rubbish. lol (just kiddin'). No, but seriously, I was hugely into Crowley in my teens, and he just thoroughly confused me with his strange and very personal ideas. Looking back, trying to follow his qabbalistic, zodiacal and hebrew correspondences made my Tarot work much more complicated and heavy than it needs to be. His correspondences make no sense to me anyway. Abiding by his strange ideas about having no Kings but Princes and Knights did nothing to improve my Tarot reading, but did get my mind tied up in such mental knots that my intuition didn't get chance to come through.

Unfortunately, the Thoth Tarot is extremely beautiful, but for me, it's unworkable, due to the array of dictatorial correspondences, which don't make sense, the wrong elemental/suit association and the bizarre ordering of the court cards.

ravenest

The Hanged Man said:
Abiding by his strange ideas about having no Kings but Princes and Knights did nothing to improve my Tarot reading, but did get my mind tied up in such mental knots that my intuition didn't get chance to come through.

It sounds like you never 'got' AC? He was describing a New Aeon, a new world, a new evolution where things will be different. An end to the past Aeon and patriarchal age of Osiris. Believe it or not, he was a women's libber!

From this perspective, isnt it time we got rid of the King and gave the Queen a go. The primal male force is still there as the Knight, the first onrush of the energy, but seen as a knight and a knight follows the directions of (and is made by) the Queen. I notice you dont even mention the Queen above?

Thoth has done a LOT for my reading and untied many of the knots I had mentally when trying to connect traditional tarot to what was actually happening in the world of today, and has given my intuition contempory relevence.

Hanged Man said:
Unfortunately, the Thoth Tarot is extremely beautiful, but for me, it's unworkable, due to the array of dictatorial correspondences, which don't make sense, the wrong elemental/suit association and the bizarre ordering of the court cards.

Bizarre ??? Try new and visionary!

The Hanged Man

....or new, visionary and bizarre! ;) Seriously though, it is a beautiful deck, but Crowley's philosophies don't work for me anymore.

Edge

The Hanged Man said:
....or new, visionary and bizarre! ;) Seriously though, it is a beautiful deck, but Crowley's philosophies don't work for me anymore.

The only philosophy one needs to follow is there own. ;)

"So with thy all; thou hast no right but to do thy will. Do that, and no other shall say nay. For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect." AL I:42-44

ravenest

The Hanged Man said:

I hope you havnt gone back to the patriarchy!

ravenest

Dig your new Icon pic Edge! You can just see the evil oozing out of the eye slits :rolleyes:

Once someone asked me what does AC actually look like. I sent them that pic.
:)