Ludy Lescot-Death XIII

Hemera

This is a beautiful Death card and it actually took me quite a while to realize it´s the Death. I looked at the Grim Reaper in the background for quite some time without understanding what he is doing in this card!
Okay, maybe I´m a bit thick. But this lady in the foreground with her dress two sizes too small doesn´t look like any usual Death card lady, does she? It looks like she has been crying with her mascara running down her cheeks -but at first I did think it could be a tattoo.

The text in the tombstone looks a bit odd. The year of death looks like 709! A tombstone that old would surely look different? So is she mourning for someone who died that long ago? A vampire lover?
Good thing there are no visible crosses on the stone but she is holding a big cross in her hand.
And what is the text at the bottom of the tombstone about? Looks like "rat" to me but it´s probably supposed to be something else in some foreign tongue?

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 870

Aerin

My first thought was a vampire rising from her grave, but then there's the cross... so maybe forcing someone back into their grave.

Perhaps she IS a vampire huntress.

Those eye marks are on other cards too I think.

Elendil

Those eye marks are on other cards too I think.

It seems to be an 'artistic/stylistic trademark' as it is used so often in the deck.[Surely not all these women are distressed and weeping?]

There is also the parchment on the ground to consider...
...and since this woman has not joined the throng lead by the scythe wielding shadow at the top of the card, is she in some way redeemed? Or does she simply await the inevitable?

kaushalyaandfrank

The LWB is very interesting for this card. To me it may mean one of the following:

(i) You cannot always choose the external circumstances (such as impending change), but you can control your inner experience.
(ii) Focus on what matters in life, do not be drawn to meaningless pursuits (here the death is of the person's soul).

kell

Could she be waiting for Death to release/transform her? It appears she is waiting for Death to come to her.
Sometimes the anticipation of change is more agonizing than actually experiencing it. Same goes for Death/Transition, also.

Citrin

Could she be waiting for Death to release/transform her? It appears she is waiting for Death to come to her.
Sometimes the anticipation of change is more agonizing than actually experiencing it. Same goes for Death/Transition, also.

I really like this interpretation! Makes a lot of sense to me. And it's kind of like she's so focused on her mind feeling heavy, looking down all sad, that she's not seeing that Death is indeed close and she won't have to suffer for a long time now.

seedcake

This is the thing which I thought about this card too. It fits perfectly my personal view that this woman was growing spiritually so now, she's going to the final change in her life.

Other point: she can be grieving 'cause of someone's death... but she has this scroll on the ground. That's why I like the first interpretation. And who knows? Maybe she's doing some magic? For example: in Palo Mayombe or kinds of vodoun, is used soil from the graves.

Pam O

...and since this woman has not joined the throng lead by the scythe wielding shadow at the top of the card, is she in some way redeemed? Or does she simply await the inevitable?
The "throng"! Sure enough...
I did not see that line of shadowy people behind the "scythe wielding" Grim Reaper until your post.

There is also the parchment on the ground to consider...
I was wondering what could be on that scroll since that is not typical Death card symbolism... Maybe a list of the "Chosen Ones"?

Sar

She is performing a ritual that will transform her into something else...

Celtictarot

My initial feeling with this card is possibly this grave is like Mdme Laveau in New Orleans. To me, she is crying and if the person in the grave is revered, the grave would be in good condition by their followers.

The shadow scene at the top is the mass people thinking frankly she has gone off her trolley completely. But I feel this is a ritual to try and effect change against the odds? Like she is asking this saint for a favour which intiates change for her?