Ludy Lescot -Temperance XIV

Hemera

I think this is quite an interesting take on Temperance. The LWB says this card is about love and it looks like that. Here we have the choice making situation of the traditional Lovers card.
The Temperance Angel is now a stone statue and the water that she is pouring is also stone. The woman has got two glasses in her hand and she has the real liquid and is doing the real pouring. The golden chalice is for the well dressed gentleman half hiding behid the statue. The woman is pouring liquid on the ground from the champagne flute that was for the other man who is approaching from the forest.

I took a look at the Lovers and it could be the well dressed blonde man behind the statue that bit her in Lovers. He could also be the Hermit who is well dressed and blonde. The dark haired one is dressed like the White Knight in Lovers.

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 821

Elendil

The woman has got two glasses in her hand and she has the real liquid and is doing the real pouring. The golden chalice is for the well dressed gentleman half hiding behid the statue. The woman is pouring liquid on the ground from the champagne flute that was for the other man who is approaching from the forest.

Now this is interesting...I didn't see the champagne flute at all. To me it was/is a fan.

I took a look at the Lovers and it could be the well dressed blonde man behind the statue that bit her in Lovers....The dark haired one is dressed like the White Knight in Lovers.

These are very possibly the same protagonists.

I 'read' the long-haired guy emerging from the graveyard as some kind of revenant. My take on the 'story' is a pledge that has got out of hand, concocted and devised by the well-dressed pair on either side of the angel statue. Things look set to take a turn for the worse as a 'dead' lover returns...Just the sort of thing that occurs when things are out of whack (Isn't pretty much everything in this deck?).

I cannot get the 'prologue' to Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte (the Bette Davies movie) out of my head either with this card...where the unsuitable lover is decapitated by person unknown and the subsequently mentally unbalanced Charlotte gets to live with suspicion, guilt, blame and predatory 'friends'...

Hemera

Now this is interesting...I didn't see the champagne flute at all. To me it was/is a fan. .
I´m afraid you are probably right.. I had to take my magnifying glass out to make sure..It does look more like a fan now when I´m taking a closer look. Funny the way this deck makes these tricks.

RunningWild

I can't help but stare at the angel in this card. It is, to me, the most disturbing part of it. This angel looks either angry or intense. I haven't decided which emotion is attached to it. That it's made of stone gives me a cold feeling, distanced, detached. Maybe that's what finding our balance is really about? Giving ourselves space from a situation so we can regain our equilibrium?

A balance of opposites. Male and female on opposite sides of the statue.

I don't see a choice here exactly but I do see a disruption in the form of the male standing in the background.

But temperance isn't really about balance, is it? It's about the right mixture. So perhaps the people in this card represent a desire to create that mixture. Though I have to say that to me, the woman in this card seems to have an air of coyness and coquettishness (in my mind, that fan in her right hand is a tool for flirtation. It's very U.S. deep south.) Perhaps she is her own worst enemy here then, having flirted with both men, leading them on, and creating a volatile situation for herself. The very opposite of Temperance.

And maybe that's why the statue of the angel looks so stern.

Hemera

I have never seen the angel as angry. I think she is just very concentrated in what she is doing. She is stern, maybe, but not angry. Maybe she is looking at these people and thinking "sigh..they are messing up their lives once again.."
I see the woman choosing between the two males. She looks at the well dressed man as if she´d be wondering how she can break him the news that she is leaving him and going to go with the approaching "wild" one.
There is not really a male-female balance since there are two men and one woman. Unless, of course, we agree on one woman equaling two guys :D })

Hemera

This card repeatedly seems to signify "Art" to me. I pull it on days when I have something to do with any of the arts. Usually it´s about music but today it seemed to signify the opening of an Art Gallery that I went to with a friend. I suddenly remembered that in Thoth decks this card is even named "Art" isn´t it?
The Temperance lady sure looks like she´d be in an Art Gallery opening: dressed smartly and with a glass in hand :p

MaineGirl117

That's interesting since I got this card several times in a row... each time the deck was trying to tell me to look at the painting in my bedroom (it finally combined with 4/wands as though to say - do I have to do your thinking for you now? HERE is where it is!)

But I've also gotten it for a good time playing peek-a-boo :D Or something 'just around the corner' but not visable.... yet....

Or... being followed :( or feeling like there are *eyes* on you...

La Force

Ludy Lescot - Temperance

Really all I can say in one word to sum it up is BUSTED lol 3 sum in the grave yard next week at 11pm lol

Well everyone seems to have covered this card

so I'll add a few meanings for this card

Struggling with the abrasive elements of your own behavior toward him
You do not hit it off with him right away
Working on a romance that has been spoiled by poor communication and hurtful fighting
Engaging in a casual discussion to air grievances
A person who has a hard time expressing emotions
You need to put him on the back burner for now
You need to take a break from each other
He will wait forever until you fall in love with him
You end up with someone you have known for a long time
Your jumping from the frying pan into the fire with him
Seriously trying to discover what is right for you
Having to wait out so your romance gets the green light
A compromise may be necessary
Becoming more tolerant of others not letting them get to you
Nothing is going to happen overnight
Go slow and check out every detail, if it seem to good to be true it just might be
Grace under pressure in a challenging situation, have an alternate plan
Putting the breaks on

La force

MaineGirl117

I really love the additions/suggestions you've made for this card. Many have crossed my mind or manifested in my readings already, but I hadn't put them into words or a list like you have. Thank you for your contributions!

Hemera

Yes, I really love this list,too. Thank you!

ETA: Maybe we could make such lists of the other cards as well?