Lee Bursten vs Jodorowsky

BSwett

Not to cause a fight, but I'm looking for a good book that leans on the Marseille deck. This are the two options I've narrowed my search on. The Jodo book 'The way of the Tarot" is on Amazon, used, for under $15. The "Universal Tarot" by Bursten, which you can only get with the LoS deck, goes for about $30 and people here talk highly of it.

Opinions?

BeeSwax.

gregory

I'd run with Bursten. Jodorowsky has an agenda and Bursten doesn't, IMHO.

jema

Get both and read them and make up your own mind as to which one you like!

gregory

Actually what you REALLY want (and probably can't afford ?) is Jean-Michel David's book....

Nickigirl

Gregory, how much does that book discuss the minors? And the courts?

schmedrake

I've never read either. But I've attended a talk by Lee and met him a couple of times and he really knows his stuff. Plus the way he teaches TdM will only enhance your tarot reading with other decks. He's just tarot smart. I vote Lee.

schmedrake

And by Lee, I mean Bursten. Just in case the other dude is named Lee, too...haha.

Shade

Jodorowsky has an agenda and Bursten doesn't, IMHO.

I have heard that - something about him having a "This is the way is should be done" vibe with the book which has kept me from giving it a go.

Richard

I'm curious about the Jodo book, because Yoav Ben-Dov (the author of the CBD Tarot) studied under Jodo and has a high regard for him. I was initially biased against Jodo because of my dislike of the TdM deck on which he collaborated with Camoin (who in some respects appears to be a marginal nut case). However, Ben-Dov has implied that there were disagreements between Camoin and Jodo, and that Camoin was unwilling to compromise, so that lets Jodo provisionally off the hook as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I can visualize myself getting that book. I'm weakening.

I think I have a pretty good overview of Lee's approach from reading his posts on AT. It is not unlike my own. While I am moderately interested in his book, I seriously do not want the Tarot set which includes the book.

gregory

I'm curious about the Jodo book, because Yoav Ben-Dov (the author of the CBD Tarot) studied under Jodo and has a high regard for him. I was initially biased against Jodo because of my dislike of the TdM deck on which he collaborated with Camoin (who in some respects appears to be a marginal nut case). However, Ben-Dov has implied that there were disagreements between Camoin and Jodo, and that Camoin was unwilling to compromise, so that lets Jodo provisionally off the hook as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I can visualize myself getting that book. I'm weakening.

I think I have a pretty good overview of Lee's approach from reading his posts on AT. It is not unlike my own. While I am moderately interested in his book, I seriously do not want the Tarot set which includes the book.

Yes - I do wish it was for sale on its own. *mem. to email Ric later !*

Camoin may well have been the issue with Jodo. Someone has written a big review post about that book here though - can't find it now, of course...

I'll get mine out later, Nickigirl, and report back; I'm a LEETLE busy with car insurance claims right now...