What would you not use tarot to read on...

Jyscal

I normally like to read the cards when i feel it is right. I dont use them for every small thing, but rather when im really in need of help about something and need guidance on how best to approach the situation. Lately, i have been doing alot of readings in regards to work issues, but there are some things which i feel the cards would like me to find out for myself, but sometimes i will do a reading at the end of the day just to get an idea of how my actions will affect things to come.
If there is one thing in particular i don't really like reading on, it would be that which im pretty sure i can't change or anything that could be harmfull to another person.

Mellifluous

I don't use them for anything that requires a great deal of specificity... because they can't do that so there is no point. (Including topics like past lives or meeting random new people in the future, which may not seem that specific to some, but IMO it's useless without specifics or the ability to verify facts.)

I usually don't ask about the long term outcome of relationships (or anything else) because 'long term' can't be defined in any practical way and also I don't want to know. I plan to live until I get there and see how it goes, if you know what I mean.

I don't ask about health - at least, not in terms of trying to diagnose anything. I never ask anything about anyone dying. I don't really ask much that's specific about news stories or crimes, etc.

I tend to refrain from asking any questions about other people that aren't directly related to myself. For example, I don't nose around into their other relationships or issues they may be having. It's always ultimately about me somehow. :joke: Otherwise it seems wrong. (This is aside from someone asking you to read for them.)

That's all I can think of at the moment.

rwcarter

I don't use the cards for health readings, for Yes/No questions (my own personal track record isn't that great) or to spy on other people (either for myself or for the Querent). There are a number of people who were in my life at some point who I'd like to know, "how are they doing?" For most of them it's not a desire to reconnect, but just a pure curiosity of how their lives are going right now. Even if I did do a reading for that, I wouldn't have any way to verify what I'd get out of the cards, so why bother? (I have no preconceptions about my readings being correct all the time.) I also don't tend to ask predictive questions, instead choosing to ask for insight or information about a situation.

If other readers feel comfortable doing health readings, Yes/No readings, readings on third parties or predictive readings, I say :thumbsup: to them. I believe there's no wrong way to use tarot cards as long as the person using them that way is comfortable with that. If someone's cards double as coasters when they're not in use, I say more power to them. I wouldn't use my cards in that manner, but that doesn't mean that I think that no one should.

Rodney

Lilija

I forgot to add, I don't use the cards to make most of my mundane life decisions.

blackairplane

I can't see myself pulling cards to figure out winning lottery numbers... but then again I feel you have the same chance of winning the lottery whether you play or not. :laugh:

Logiatrix

I don't do readings for myself, though I probably should. I do exchange with fellow readers when there's a big change for me or my family, but those are few and far between. I suppose I'd do/get readings for myself more often if something heavy was going on, though. It's nice to know that I have tarot to turn to, if need be.:heart:

There are certain kinds of readings at the store that I won't do. My no-no's are basically similar to what others have posted: I won't do readings on third parties, and I won't diagnose anything. I've also had a client who was seeking clarification about the "darker energies" he'd been contacting. So, out of nowhere, I realized I don't go there, either. Good to know, I guess!:eek:

Clients (so far) have been very accepting of my boundaries, and I've typically been able to find a compromise to accomplish a satisfactory reading. Some of the other readers at the store offer different services that fit better (one is a medical intuitive, for example), so I don't feel that I'm limiting a client as such. I prepared to just refer them to the co-worker who might give them the kind of reading they want, which is the ultimate goal.:)

VGimlet

Well, you can use it for anything....

Personally I don't ask yes/no questions for myself , although I have for others when requested .

I don't do mundane stuff for myself either - what to have for dinner, etc. I am a pretty decisive person, and don't usually think about using the cards like that. :p

kayless

214red said:
I am curious because i know some people use tarot to read on everything, down to a minute level.

I did when i got into the groove of tarot, spend a period of time reading for everything and anything. Slightly obsessively for a few weeks tarot was like a decision dice, i let the cards rule.

I am now sporadic in using my cards for advice, and when i do i sometimes ignore what they say. if i do a reading for a party i want to go to and the outcome is not good, if i really want to go i read for advice on what i should do tomake the pary more enjoyable.

There are a wealth of subjects i dont read for myself for, infact it would be easier to list what subjects i do read on.

i wonder what you would NOT read for? What do you think the cards are unsuitable for?

Nik

I never do readings to know the future of my friends or of my family members. Or to know their problems or personal feelings. I don't think of it and I could never bring myself to do something like that. I want just to live their lives and emotions like them, normally, without "checking" on Tarot to see every time if they will succeed in this or in that as they are planning to do, you know?

Briar Rose

214red said:
i wonder what you would NOT read for? What do you think the cards are unsuitable for?

Nik

You are funny Nik.

I grew up Catholic. I wouldn't ask any questions about the Bibical God. Fear that I would get struck down by lightening.

I suppose I haven't really learned anything, huh? Amd all those books on Buddhism. Mmm, guess that fear will stay with me no matter what!

You are funny Nik!

missycab

I wouldn't use the cards for health readings, or family related readings (well, I can read for my brother, but I don't like reading for my parents).

I usually do general readings.