Possibilities: What happens next? (Tarot Spread for the Writer)

ArwenNightstar

Nevada said:
That's great. In case you aren't already aware, that's also an important detail to mention in any query or proposal you send a publisher. For non-fiction, they love writers who already have an audience, who are out there speaking on their subject, creating a market for a book.

Nevada

Thanks, Nevada! I did know that and it is one of the reasons I am doing these workshops. I can't advertise it here until I am a member again. I let my membership lapse. Now I have to re-up so I can advertise it in the Advertising section.

That will be soon!

I am actually a romance writer as well and while I have nothing published, I've pitched and queried a bit!

ArwenNightstar

Tweaked

I have tweaked this a tiny bit during my latest online workshop.

We all hit points in our stories where we wonder what the hell happens next. I developed what I call a ladder spread to help out with that. It is a ladder because Card 7 will become Card 2 of the next scene if necessary. You can use it to plot your way through the book.

This spread is a double spread. It is where each will take you next in your book. Each side will be for the character you designate it for. Myself, I would use the left for the female and the right for the male. This is because I am right handed and I tend to think of male as physical action. Female, to me, is intuitive action so she would be on my left side which I relate to my intuition.

Please note that C1 stands for Character 1 and there are a total of 4 cards for each character (1,3,4,5) with cards 2,6,&7 being cards for the scene. Card 8 is optional. If you do have a villain, let me know. I can work out a variation of this spread that works that character in as well.

If you have a WIP and would like to try it out, please do. And do post your results if you like. And is now the point I should tell you that I am doing a drawing on Saturday? Everyone who as participated will get their name put in a hat for a free reading.

Possibilities Spread

....................7............................. 8-V optional
.....5-C1.....................5-C1...
3-C1...4-C1..........4-C2...3-C2
.....1-C1.....................1-C2...

• 1-C1. Significator Card for Character One (C1)
  • 1-C2. Significator Card for Character Two (C2)
  • 2. Situation: This card will reveal the situation they are about to face.
  • 3. Character's outer response to situation. This is how they seem to feel about it.
  • 4. Character's inner response to situation. This is how they feel about it or how it makes them feel.
  • 5. Character's response to the other character's outer response. How does his reaction affect her? How does hers affect him?
  • 6. Where does this move the plot?
  • 7. Situation: This card will reveal the situation they are about to face. (if you want to use this to plot the book out, you simply repeat the layout from this point with this card becoming Card 2 in the next series)
  • 8. OPTIONAL -- This is the villain's role in this scene. If you have a villain, that is.

NOTES: If a scene doesn't move the plot, then it should be thoroughly examined. Does it support the development of the characters? Is it integral to the whole story? Remember, above all, this is your story. Look at the cards and let the pictures tell you a story so you can tell your story.

chevalierduchangemen

Wow. I'm currently working on a plot with several characters. It's definitely gonna help.

I would also suggest, if you have more than two major characters (like in a choral novel, where characters meet up in some way, thematically or physically), you could use this spread by adding the number of sections that you need! For example, if you have 3 protagonists:

-------------------------7-------------------------
-------------------------6-------------------------
-------5C1------------5C2---------------5C3-----
3C1--------4C1---3C2----4C2------3C3------4C3
-------------------------2------------------------
-------1C1------------1C2----------------1C3---

The positions would stay the same. For position 5, you could choose to which character each one reacts, take multiple cards, or rename the position to "Which circumstances interact with this character?" ! :)

Thank you for your amazing spread. I'm gonna try it right now!

ArwenNightstar

I'd love to hear your results. That's a great tweak!

chevalierduchangemen

I just tried this morning the modified version. It helped me to see more clearly where I was going with the plot, creating a sort of unity between the characters. Having several characters can always be a challenge, but seeing all of them in one spread can be a huge help!

Let me know if you try it! :)
ChevalierduChangement