Books/sources for deeper relationship with Thoth?

Aeon418

Water Lady

I feel this might be way over my head but love the cards.
had a coupon for almost 6 months at a used book store and yesterday finally used it and as my method of letting the book pick me works well, I discovered the book
"keywords for the Crowley tarot"
is this a basic? not related? of any help to a beginner with these cards?

Zephyros

Which was revised and retitled in 2003 and now goes by the name of, "The Magick of Aleister Crowley: A Handbook of the Rituals of Thelema".

http://www.amazon.com/The-Magick-Aleister-Crowley-Handbook/dp/1578632994

It's a good book*.

*Caveat: Despite several flaws and inaccuracies in his presentation of some of the rituals.

I wouldn't know about flaws, but I think its greatest strength is that it is very 'in universe' in the way it deals with syntax, presentation and subject matter. Anyone coming off the Understanding and Chicken wagons should find this immediately approachable.

Aeon418

I wouldn't know about flaws, but I think its greatest strength is that it is very 'in universe' in the way it deals with syntax, presentation and subject matter. Anyone coming off the Understanding and Chicken wagons should find this immediately approachable.

I completely agree. Lon is a great facilitator. But in light of more recent offerings by authors such as Eshelman, Gunther, and Shoemaker, it's hard to look back at Lon's book (originally published in 1993) and not see the need for a bit of an update.

WolfyJames

Personally, in term of tarot magick, I much prefer "Portable Magic: Tarot Is the Only Tool You Need" by Donald Tyson.

sworm09

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

Very good book suggestions. I'll add "The Magick of Thelema: A Handbook of the Rituals of Aleister Crowley" by Lon Milo DuQuette.

I'm currently working with this book right now, actually beginning to learn the GRP from it.

Hah, and that's exactly how I ended up stumbling upon it. He makes these subjects very approachable, even casual and *gasp* fun.

Personally, in term of tarot magick, I much prefer "Portable Magic: Tarot Is the Only Tool You Need" by Donald Tyson.

I've read that one. The ritual set up in that book is interesting, and I would be lying if I were to say that it has never pulled results for me. It's not something that I practice often, but it's an interesting one. I've never tried it with the Thoth deck though.