Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Set--100 Years!

truelighth

Wow, The 78th Fool, you did a even more thorough comparison then I did. I mostly looked at the faces. The faces are very different on a Pam-A then on the Pam-B. And to me the pictures on the US games site have Pam-A faces, so that is why I think it is reproduction of the Pam-A. Of course, the background will look different when they don't use the line lithography to print. And unfortunally it doesn't seem like they will use that. It would have been nice if they did.

The 78th Fool

Fingers crossed the print definition will be high enough to do justice to the detail you can see on Starlightexpress's scans. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case - this publication means a great deal to Stuart Kaplan and is probably one of the most important publications in the Tarot world for years.

It's in everyone's interest for the final product to be of a high quality. My personal preference would be that they had the deck printed in China, like Kat Black's Golden Tarot and the pocket Universal Waite, rather than in Italy. At the end of the day however, I don't think I'll be complaining wherever it's printed. I'll just be happy to be holding a facsimile Pam A with a fantastic (and tartan free!) back design. A whole book devoted to PCS, plus prints as well is too good to be true.

Chris. xx

la-luna

This deck is far more than just a new edition but a chance to redeem themself from all what went wrong (or at least not as good as it should have) in their last decks.

If all goes well this will be a high point and reference for USG - all that Pixie deserves!!!!

Le Fanu

Much as this is a wonderful addition to the tarot canon, and I shall certainly buy it when it comes out, I keep thinking that surely it would have been more interesting to actually try and restore the deck to how the actual drawings might have been.

OK, I know we don´t have the original drawings (weren´t they destroyed in the War?), but I find myself thinking that whether it is a Pam A or a Pam B is kind of neither here nor there (did I say something controversial?)

I mean, even the most casual observer can see that Pixie´s non-tarot drawings have a lightness of line and delicacy that no editions of the RWS have ever managed to capture. Suggests to me that the early editions of the RWS looked the way they did because of limited printing expertise/ technology available in 1909 (not because of Pixie´s artwork). Suggests to me that her original drawings would have had a much finer line. Altogther less "black" on the images where lines bleed and blotch (I mean, look at the King of Pentacles, but all cards have it to some extent; so many indistinguishable details)

It would have been interesting to try and get to the heart of how the original artwork might have looked, eliminating printers blotches and the "bleeding" lines. I know none of us know how the original would have looked, but that - of course - is the work of a skilled restorer. A Pam A or Pam B will maintian that 1900 "heaviness"

Just something that comes to mind... though I am thrilled too see this edition. But the discrepancy betwen her non-tarot "line" and the "line" on the RWS images bothers me (but only slightly). It has an unmistakable 1900 picture book blotchiness which a Pam A or a Pam B will merely reproduce...

re-pete-a

So where's the line up for the hungry collectors.

Cerulean

Perhaps these are Pamela A images for your comparison

http://www.sacred-texts.com/tarot/xr/index.htm

These are said to be Pamela A images for people to look at and enjoy.

I have not done side-by-side comparisons, but I do like the quality and clearness of these images. I am impressed and happy that so many good folk have posted notes about the forthcoming anniversary edition...

I look forward to hearing of a release date for the anniversary edition and of course will be searching for this...and soon hopefully being able to order a set for use and delight...and I like what I've seen online of the books included in the set.

I'm certain kind reviewers, etc., will post soon when they receive the set and their impressions!

Crossing fingers,

Cerulean

flying black kat

Thank You starlightexp for the time consuming scans. You did a great job and the pictures are so clear. It is going to be interesting to see how the commemorative set matches your scans.

Be at Peace

Kathy

starlightexp

Thanks, I just hope that the bulk of the color detail is there because they really are beautifully done

blackairplane

Does anyone know how the original edition was printed? Was it letterpress, stone litho, or another of the numerous color litho methods of the day? I'd be curious to know. Anyway- since it is unlikely the cards will be printed using the same old technique- they will not look exactly like the originals.