Morgan Greer, glossy Italian printing

Bhavana

Well, I'm 99% sure it was Italy first and then/now China. The Celestial Tarot had a version printed in China a few years ago and Kat Black's Golden was printed in China a while back, but for the purposes of this thread, the MG was Belgian then Italian. The China printing is the most recent.

I get really confused with USG. They are all over the place with their printing. I suppose I could check with them personally, but I would bet you are right. I'd love to have a non-glossy Celestial. Might make those blue borders a little less in your face.

olivia1

is the glossy MG printed on the same kind of card stock as USG's Universal Waite and Radiant Rider Waite. I have the matte MG with the thick card stock. its hell to riffle shuffle. i would want to purchase the glossy ones if the cardstock was thinner

Bhavana

is the glossy MG printed on the same kind of card stock as USG's Universal Waite and Radiant Rider Waite. I have the matte MG with the thick card stock. its hell to riffle shuffle. i would want to purchase the glossy ones if the cardstock was thinner

Probably, but I can't say for sure. I myself prefer the thick card stock on the matte version, but you are right about riffling - though it's not an issue for me because I don't riffle anymore.

olivia1

can anyone please verify this? maybe US Games is confused?
Because i talked to a Carol from US Games and she told me that the MG is not going to be reprinted on glossy card stock. She said they will be printed in the same card stock that they have always been printed on (whatever that means). I do not know what they have "always been printed on" because i only have one copy and it is the matte one with the very thick cardstock.

Le Fanu

can anyone please verify this? maybe US Games is confused?
Because i talked to a Carol from US Games and she told me that the MG is not going to be reprinted on glossy card stock. She said they will be printed in the same card stock that they have always been printed on (whatever that means). I do not know what they have "always been printed on" because i only have one copy and it is the matte one with the very thick cardstock.
It probably means that it won't be printed in Italy anymore but printed in China. I don't for one minute think that U.S Games decks have been printed on the same cardstock for (in the case of the MG) the last 30 years. That's simply not true. Anybody can put decks together from the 80s, 90s and the last decade and see that they're different...

Chiriku

I want the glossy one. But even though it's not a huge investment, I don't want to risk ending up with another matte MG like my 90s copy. I don't have money to throw around willy-nilly.

Amazon.com shows a picture of the box that has The Chariot on the front. I recall seeing this one for several years at least. By contrast, the USG site shows a box with a Queen of Swords on the cover. That cover seems new-ish to me; as such, is it safe to assume that the Q of S box is glossy? And if so, does that mean I should order direct from USG?

I'd prefer Amazon, so if anyone in the U.S. has ordered the Morgan Greer from Amazon.com in the past few months, can you weigh in on (a) the image on the box cover, and (b) whether or not the cardstock was glossy?

Pam O

I bought from Amazon and it is glossy. How long ago, maybe in the last year. I will go to the garage in the morning where I store all my boxes and see if there is info that will help the mystery. Maybe it has a certain ISBN or something.

Chiriku

I bought from Amazon and it is glossy. How long ago, maybe in the last year. I will go to the garage in the morning where I store all my boxes and see if there is info that will help the mystery. Maybe it has a certain ISBN or something.

That info alone was helpful, thank you.

Tarotwolf

All the new decks have what you refer to as a glossy finish. The vintage decks printed by Morgan Press have the silky smooth matte finish (IMO the best finish by far). Keep an eye on E-bay and you can get a nice used copy for $20 or so. I have 6 or 7 different versions of this deck and most of the variations are simply in the boxes.

Le Fanu

All the new decks have what you refer to as a glossy finish.
Again, not quite true... (see thread about which decks are printed in China...)

Chiriku, I guess that if you ordered and got a matt one and offered it in Trading, somebody would want it/swap it with you. Most people prefer the Matt finishes. I am in the process of buying another Morgan Greer from someone. No idea which type it is but if it were another Italian one and you had a matt one, I'd swap...