memorizing cards

CreativeFire

Hi Jewel-ry - I think your idea is an excellent one and very helpful to "trigger" different keywords - am going to start this myself in my journal. Also will be a good part of the 78 week study to help focus on the card in coming up with the words to fit the spelling - some are going to be more difficult than others :)

Thanks
CreativeFire

Imagemaker

some cards are going to be a little tricky e.g. Moon, not many letters in that one

This approach is wonderful, and you could mentally add something to the short ones, like "Moon Card" or "Star Light" just to add a few more letters.

Jewel-ry

I havn't done moon yet but another example :

H Hierarchy
I Institution
E Education
R Religion
O Orthodoxy
P Philosophy
H Honour
A Awareness
N Nurturing
T Tradition

Anyone care to have a go?

J :)

Kelly

Jewel-ry,

This is such a fantastic idea.... unfortunately I'm just beginning so I don't think I'd dare do one... though I suppose I should try after a bit more reading up...

Any others anyone? :)

Emily

Hi Jewel-ry,

I too like your keyword system and have started to do this in my journal. :)

tmgrl2

Re: Memorize the cards at least!

Thirteen said:
I think one thing a new reader should do is memorized the cards at least--never mind the meanings.

Memorize the Majors (Fool, Magician, HPS, Empress....), then get a feel for the minors. What's especially useful for minors is lining them up. What do all the 2's look like? What do all the 3's look like? Rather than just examining them suit by suit. Which, don't get me wrong, I think a reader should do as well, as each suit has it's only story to tell.

Readers concentrate on meaning so much, that they sometimes neglect familiarizing themselves with their deck. From there, however, I think keywords are a great way to go.

I totally agree with you, Thirteen...first thing I did when I started in February was download your notes....on all cards...I am doing both: looking at the cards....learning the Numbers that correspond to Majors...looking at the 2's, 3's, etc....
and I am reading various sources...books and here at AT ...the readings I do are for myself...or friends...and online (where no one sees me looking up references as I organize my reading)...
but one without the other method leaves out a major aspect of learning to read.....I don't intend to memorize meanings at this point...although I thought I might initially....I find that as I read over and over on the threads about the interpretations of various cards I gain in internal sense of the card...then I do readings and first, look at what I see and write that down before going to any references....It has been amazing how much comes to me...

I did a couple of CC's this way and the interconnections that "popped up" were so rewarding....

I was just reading about the Hierophant in the 78-week thread and found some comments from jmd regarding the acolytes and some new perspective was added to my "internal Tarot"

terri

Also.....I do journal all my readings...first the spread, then my own thoughts, insights on each card and position....then I go to the research part....then I finish with a summary that I write out almost like a story....answering the Q.

dudeman

I just bought a book that says you should first go through each card individually saying the first thing that comes to your mind or that you see with out thinking about it. then you should go back and spend about a minute on each card finding at least one thing you didn't see before. I found this interesting and it has helped me alot. it also means that you do not have to memorize each card. Anyway I hope that that is some thing new

john

BobTheViking

I'd like to second the suggestion to look at all the minors of a particular number at once. Even though I know pretty much what the minor cards mean, I decided to do it as I work through the exercises in a book I obtained a week or two ago. I have to say that I found the results extremely satisfying.

I found that I gained a better understanding of how the suits contrast as much as how the numbers do. If you share my learning style, you'll find that putting the cards into context like that, it can help you get a feel for the cards quicker. I find that absorbing information swiftly also gives a boost to your enthusiasm; if you feel like you're doing well, you'll be more likely to keep pressing on to the next level of skill.