Lets talk about the Singers

Jewel

In previous threads the issue of the Singers being hard to interpret or understand has come up several times. One post suggested that the Singers might not really be fae or necessary to this deck. So I thought it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to the Singers so we can all increase our understanding of them.

I have come to know the Singers through my daily draws ... I seem to get them quite often so I have become quite comfortable with them. Some of my personal observations about the Singers are:

- They feel very different from the other fae ... they are pure energy. They are both conduits of energy and directors of it.
- They shape shift - depending on their message you will see different forms and colors in the pictures.
- They have a very very spiritual feel. And they are charged with intensity.
- Are they fae? I believe they are. In some of the Singers you can even find their wings and bodies if they choose to reveal them to you that day. They are more somber than other fae, and bring a great quiet wisdom with them.

What are your observations and or questions related to the Singers?

sagitarian

singers

here it goes.

I've only had a few singers come up myself, so I haven't had much practice with them. When I did the original sorting excercise, I felt bad for leaving them out, so I decided to sort them into which ones where more horizontal, vertical, and even with both. Anyways...

~ The singers are more an energy source, pure energy. I agree
with Jewel here, that they are "both conduits of energy and
directors of it".
~ Their messages are suttle, and that you need to take your
time in understanding them.
~ Their energy "fits" in the deck, b/c of this, I too believe they are
fae.

I did get Singer of Courage for the fae that best describes my son. I've thought about what the card means ever since I did the excercise, and I still can't really put it in thought. I feel this is also an attribute of the singers. Their message may not be easily communicated through our language, that they communicate to us using our energy of feelings and thoughts, almost more imaginary vs. description.

Curious, has anyone tried meditating with any (or all) of the singers? What was your experience?

Jewel

I have meditated with most of them. I find the energy of the Singer of Courage quite similar to that of the Strength card in a tarot deck. It is about inner fortitude and strengh. It is about having the courage to do the things you know are right even if you know there will be a price to pay. It is about being true to yourself. I also feel that the Singer brings a comforting warmth and reassurance. While meditating with the Singers you will definetly feel them shapeshift and provide you with additional characteristics of themselves. They are quite simply amazing, and although they can be subtle they can send a very strong and direct message when they feel you need it.

Khatruman

I know I have posted about the Singers before in another thread, but I will say again my feelings on them. Many people had difficulty with them, and, in fact, when I first saw sample cards for them on Froud's Web site, I knew I HAD to have the deck!!!

I was familiar with Froud's faeries for quite a long time. I have used his original Faeries book when I teach fairy lore to my night school class, and in fact I had visited his site often and new he was creating an oracle deck over a year before it came out.

I had never seen anything like the singers in Froud's work, so I wasn't prepared for them, but when I saw them, WHAM, I loved them.

They represent an abstractness that highly appeals to me. I agree that they are higher in the spiritual plane, and more part of the spiritual world than the material world. I love that they shape with your view, changing colors and significances with your own reality.

I am drawn deeply to them because I am a creative spirit. I want to use my imagination, the deeper, higher parts of my mind, and the Singers allow me to do that. Part of what they are, their forms, come from me.

It was interesting that when I was trying to use Froud's faeries for my CD mix of water faeries, I consulted the Fae online at Froud's site for the Oracle to find appropriate water fae. Almost all the fae that kept coming up were Singers! i realized that they ARE quite liquid, flowing, changing, reforming.

Peace!

sagitarian

singers as water fae

wow, that is an interesting take on the singers. I never thought of them as water fae. I thought of them more as pure energy source, beyond anything we have in our world. The closest to it would be the air we breathe, but they have a body of sorts, as if each is collected series of energy that can change, transform, grow big, wide, long or short, every changing. They are very "fluid" like, almost as if you were to watch the distorted reflections on the top of the water, how the images distort, mix together color, yet each color is seperate.

Wow, thinks about the fae being reflections in the water, deep, suttle, fluid, movement, and gentle. Wise and patient. smiles pondering.

Jewel

Khat I agree with you about the water quality of many singers. Particularly: Unity, Singer of Intuition, She of Cruach, Singer of Healing, Singer of Connection, Guardian of the Gate, Singer of the Chalice, Ekstasis and the Singer of Initiation. They seem to correspond with spiritual properties of the element of water in many ways. I am really glad you brought that up. I find several of these Singers to have been drawn in the form of the female reproductive system, which gives them both the feminine quality and the water quality. Others show a chalice like shape which is also symbolize the feminine and water. Others have the connection piece which can be associated with the sexual union which again is one of the water associations. The Guardian of the Gate really reminds me of a waterfall although the flow is upwards, it reminds me of the qualities of a gyser (sp?).

Hedera

Like a number of other people, I was a little uncomfortable with the Singers too, at first- in fact, one of the things that stopped me from getting this deck for a long time was having browsed throught my sister's, and remembering it as being made up for about 50% of Singer-like cards.

And when I did get it, ofcourse, the first three cards-of-the-day I pulled were Singers...:) So I was forced to get more aquinted with them by the fae straight away! :) :)
It's true, once you look at them for a while, and then look again a couple of hours later, you start seeing a *lot* of things in them, including heads, eyes, tails, wings, arms and facial expressions.
I did include them in the sorting exercise I did the first evening, it didn't really occur to me to leave them out. So I ended up sorting them by horns or not, age, and facial expression. I just put them in the groups that felt right (one of the problems was that the more I looked, the more different facial expressions there seemed to be in all the cards: I kept creating new categories. Happy, sad, angry, concentrated, happy but trying to look angry, distracted, serious, happy but trying to look serious, serious but trying to look happy, etc etc....:))

The 'watery' way of looking at them makes a *lot* of sense to me. I see them as very strong, very powerful, but they can also be really subtle, and create big changes without using a lot of force. Also, some of the things they do can be really slow or inconspicuous, like an undercurrant. They can move throught anything and are really difficult, if not impossible, to stop going from where they want to go.
All this are things I think of as things water can do, too.

faunabay

Like Khatruman the Singers were the reason I got this deck! I saw the Singer of Protection and just HAD to have it!
I've never had a problem relating to the Singers. I do see them as different from the other fae though. Like everyone else has stated they are more like pure energy, more stately. I don't see them as being as teasing as the others. They're definitely not "serious" just more regal, I guess would be a good word. I see the other fae as looking up to the Singers to a certain extent.
I absolutely love the Singers and for some reason the red Singer of Protection really, really draws me - not necessarily the protection part, but the red color (which is very different from the other fae in this deck) speaks to me!!! :)

**** edited to say - I mean the Singer of Transfiguration!!! :D Not the Singer of Protection!!

SherryZoned

I have merely been looking thru my deck that I just got...I first thing i Noticed is about the
Singer of Intuition
I feel that the line down the middle with the glowing orbs are our chakras. I can see 10 chakras going down the line..Crown, brow, throat, thymus, heart, solar, sacral, root, hands and feet.

SherryZoned

The Singer of Transfiguration
Absolutely drawn to this one. I dont feel this card is a water...Definately Fire.. Bright...moving...changing...Specially since fire can harden or soften. This card is different then the other singers..Harsher...blunter...More of an edge...Bright..Fiery...I dont know..something about this card...When I know..I will let you know lol.