Sibilla Oracle Cards

BoomVoom

Myrrha>
that's a very similar deck. you finde the same cards as on the sibyl but there are only 32 cards.

Myrrha

BoomVoom said:
Myrrha>
that's a very similar deck. you finde the same cards as on the sibyl but there are only 32 cards.

Oh, I see. Well, I am curious about these decks and the Lenormand decks.... Do they actually work well for readings?

Myrrha

BoomVoom

from what i've seen, the lenormand decks give very clear fortunes. a good fortune teller can give very prescice information about the future.
i believe that the sibyl must be just as good...
just have to finde a book about it!
my main problem is that i can't finde any english or french information on the italian style sibyls which are the ones i want to use.
i'll just keep banging at it till it gives i guess.
either that or els i'll just have to learn italian!:D

BoomVoom

Myrrha>
the lenormands work based in a normal deck of cards but only the 6-K and the aces. so there are only 32 cards. all the cards have a main image on them of an ancor or a dog or a horseman etc.
all the images have asosiations. sometimes their meanings chainge acording to the distance from the signifyer (ace of spades or of hearts).
meanings also chainge acording to what other cards are around.(much like tarot.)
the reading tends to come out more fortune like, kinde of like the kinde of reading you'd expect from a fair.

eg:
"a woman with 2 sons is looking at you with hatred."
or
"you are going to run into a young man at work who could become of great importance."
or
"no madam, i'm sorry i don't see you going into hospital. on the other hand i see your husband going in and staying for some time."

and on and on and on...

Myrrha

BoomVoom said:

all the images have asosiations. sometimes their meanings chainge acording to the distance from the signifyer (ace of spades or of hearts).
meanings also chainge acording to what other cards are around.(much like tarot.)
the reading tends to come out more fortune like, kinde of like the kinde of reading you'd expect from a fair.

It sounds like it does not have the spiritual depth of tarot but the system sounds very interesting and complex. If you bought a book on the sybilla decks in italian you could type a few pages at a time into the computer and set up a quickie web page, then aim the google translator at it and copy and save the translated page to your computer. Then you should take the web page down for copyright reasons. It does sound tedious but still one way to get a translation.

Myrrha

felicityk

Standard meanings?

I recently obtained two 52-card Italian decks that I mentioned in my earlier post: Il Vostro Destino and L'Oracolo Della Sibilla. Both are based on the traditional playing card deck with French suits. However, I found that the meanings assigned to the cards are not the same across both sets. Is there a standard set of meanings for Sibilla-type decks, and if so is there somewhere I might find it online?

For the record, Il Vostro Destino appeals to me more. The other deck is illustrated by Tavaglione, and while I find his decks symbolically rich, his artwork generally leaves me cold.

Felicity

felicityk

Since no one has been able to point me toward a standard set of meanings for Sibyl decks, I thought I would post some of the meanings from Il Vostro Destino so that others might compare them to decks they own. I have another Sibyl deck (Misteri della Sibilla) on the way to me and I will be interested to see how those meanings correspond to these.

I'll just do hearts for now, as it involves translating from the Italian (courtesy of Google) and is thus a bit tedious. If there is interest I will do the other suits later.

HEARTS

A: Triumph
2: Engagement
3: Succeeding (Success?)
4: Message
5: Home
6: Love
7: STARE ALL'ERTA*
8: Gift
9: Relief
10: Wedding
J: Male lover
Q: Female lover
K: Husband

* Google translated this as "to be to the erta" and wouldn't go any further. Maybe someone who speaks Italian can help? The illustration is that of someone listening at a door, but I have found the other illustrations are not necessary literal.

Felicity

felicityk

If there is interest I will do the other suits later.

Well, I guess there was no interest!

For what it's worth, I did receive the Misteri della Sibilla deck, and as I feared the meanings are different. I was hoping to find a "definitive" 52-card oracle deck to add to my collection, but it appears that no such thing exists.

Felicity

northsea

felicityk,

Good luck with finding the standard meanings. I just looked at some sibyl decks on the Lo Scarabeo website today.

darwinia

Mysteri della Sibilla - Dal Negro
http://www.trigono.com/tarots/TA02TMDS.htm

This was my favourite. I don't care for the decks that superimposed a miniature rendition of the pips over the artwork. I also liked the watercolour effect here and the way the people are drawn.

It doesn't seem likely that I could find this in Canada but it's very pretty, I would buy it if I could.

It is curious that the meanings change from deck to deck, which makes it rather fun to make up your own story. <g>