Celtic Messages by Joules Taylor

Crystal Water

Hi Lewen, I got mine off ebay too and I am waiting for it to arrive sometime next week. Can't wait, the set looks really interesting that I could'nt resist. I got the complete kit with the mandala colouring book and the drawstring bag. Did you get this too?

Lewen

Crystal Water said:
Hi Lewen, I got mine off ebay too and I am waiting for it to arrive sometime next week. Can't wait, the set looks really interesting that I could'nt resist. I got the complete kit with the mandala colouring book and the drawstring bag. Did you get this too?

Yes, and it should be here *hopefully* this week too. Can't wait! *does happy dance* :D

Lewen

My deck just arrived! I love the smell of new books and cards!
I'll post more when I get the shrinkwrap off! :)

pippi

How exciting! Looking forward to your thoughts on the deck. And dare I ask for a few scans? (she asks sheepishly) :)

Lewen

pippi said:
How exciting! Looking forward to your thoughts on the deck. And dare I ask for a few scans? (she asks sheepishly) :)

Your wish is my command.....
Here is a scan of the back and a few of the cards, if you'd like one more upclose, let me know.

JoulesTaylorsCelticMessages.jpg

Overall, the book is informative and gives some great spreads such as the Shield (To use if feeling threatened or anxious) to the Cauldron to the Triskale (sp?) and the Mistletoe spread. I like having new spreads to use not only for this oracle, but for my other decks as well and it will be interesting to experiment with them all using these spreads.

The linen bag is brown with what looks like a 32 count linen, it has the salmon celtic mandala silkscreened in black with burlap type twine for cords to drawstring the bag with. It's nice and houses the cards nicely. Since I cross stitch, I plan to cross stitch my name on the bag "one of these days" to personalize it more.

The Mandala book looks interesting and it will be neat to color and focus on and think about the meaning of the mandala as the book gives some insight into that.

The cards are round (as you can see from the scans) and represents four areas (Totem, land, people/deity/ and things/objects of importance) The cards are thin, but the lamination isn't too sticky or annoying. I would be careful shuffling them as they appear to be flimsy, but they don't bend with careful shuffling.

The artwork looks like a watercolor/colored pencil/ mixed media type as I see newspaper print on some of the artwork as if the artist painted on newspaper. It adds to the shading effect.

My only complaint with some of the cards is the black dark font used to describe the card, on one of them it almost blends in with the dark background and as I'm getting older, it was hard to see, but it didn't take away from the oracle deck or reading from it.

The first reading I did with it was informative (I used the Shield spread) so I will be looking out for what it said there.

Overall, I'm pleased with the oracle, the artwork is nice and I love the mandala coloring aspect of it. The little bag is sturdy, but a bit rough, which just adds to the pre-celtic days type of thing.

I would recommend it, even though I don't want to enable anyone....heh heh......

If I can provide another scan or answer any questions, let me know. When I'm on my next break from school, I might offer some readings with it, but it depends on what's going on in my life at that time.

Hope this helps! :)

pippi

Lewen said:
Your wish is my command.....
LOL! Thank you so much, Lewen!! :)

The artwork looks like a watercolor/colored pencil/ mixed media type as I see newspaper print on some of the artwork as if the artist painted on newspaper. It adds to the shading effect.
Wow...that sounds very interesting!

My only complaint with some of the cards is the black dark font used to describe the card, on one of them it almost blends in with the dark background and as I'm getting older, it was hard to see, but it didn't take away from the oracle deck or reading from it.
Yeah, I can see in the scans you provided how that might prove irritating to have to try so hard to read the words. Normally something like that would bother me too...but sometimes the keywords on cards are distracting, so maybe having them blend into the picture isn't such a bad thing after all??

Thanks so much for posting your scans, and sharing such a thorough review of the deck. Is this your first circular deck? What's it like to shuffle? I'm very interested in this one, and the Circle of Life Tarot, but unsure about how I'd work with a circular deck. Does it take some getting used to? Do you read the cards differently depending on what angle they're facing?

I would recommend it, even though I don't want to enable anyone....heh heh......
What...enable? On AT? Unheard of!! })

Lewen

pippi said:
...Yeah, I can see in the scans you provided how that might prove irritating to have to try so hard to read the words. Normally something like that would bother me too...but sometimes the keywords on cards are distracting, so maybe having them blend into the picture isn't such a bad thing after all??

You know, you're right, it is a small thing and sometimes the keywords can interfere, I consider it a small thing anyways and it doesn't detract me from the deck.

pippi said:
Thanks so much for posting your scans, and sharing such a thorough review of the deck. Is this your first circular deck? What's it like to shuffle? I'm very interested in this one, and the Circle of Life Tarot, but unsure about how I'd work with a circular deck. Does it take some getting used to? Do you read the cards differently depending on what angle they're facing?

What...enable? On AT? Unheard of!! })

You are welcome. Yes, this is my first circular deck and I've had no problems shuffling them, but I did so gently as I didn't want to bend, but they held up well to my shuffling (much like I shuffle my other cards). I want to get the Circle of life Tarot too so this oracle has enabled me to be wanting to get that deck too! :D

I don't use the reversals on this oracle (as I think there are no reverse meanings) so I just face them upwards in my readings.

It's a nice set and I hope to work with it some more later this evening!

BodhiSeed

Wow! Thanks for the scans Lewen; the cards are beautiful! This deck will definitely move to the top of my wishlist.

Bodhran

6 Haunted Days

Oh yes, this is going on my wishlist as well! Where did you get a copy Lewen? The bag sounds yummy :)

I didn't know they were circular, what a great surprise.

Lewen

6 Haunted Days said:
Oh yes, this is going on my wishlist as well! Where did you get a copy Lewen? The bag sounds yummy :)

I didn't know they were circular, what a great surprise.

I had gotten mine off of e-bay, but my bookclub, www.onespirit.com also seems to have them too. I didn't realize they were round either, but it is different and reminds me of the Wheel of the year. The bag does add a rustic feel to it.