Edging decks in ink...help or hindrance?

greatdane

I have chatted with ATers who routinely edge their decks and it seems this helps keep them more...intact. Less chipping on the edges. Just checking if anyone has had the opposite experience. I really like the look of doing the edges, but am wondering if I am weakening them or not. ATers...please weigh in on your own experiences not on the aesthetic value, but on whether it helps the stability of the stock, the printing, keeping the edges from chipping.

Madelyn

Hmm. I haven't even heard of this! Do you just ink the edges with say, a pen or marker?

Disa

I've only ever edged one deck. The Gilded Tarot by Ciro and I only used a Black Sharpie. It didn't seem to affect the deck one way or the other. My edges still look fine. I don't notice any chipping. Granted I don't use the deck daily or anything, but I have used it quite a bit over the years. I think all black background decks should have their edges done:) (now that I typed that it seems like they got a manicure or something- hahah)

greatdane

Hello Madelyn and Disa

Madelyn, Ladybird here in AT did a youtube video about edging decks and used either the Tim Holtz ink pads or a Marksalot large slanted tip pen.

I have recently done about five decks and LOVE how they look, and from what I have read from those who edge theirs, decks we both have that they edged and I didn't, I had chipping or other problems with the edging. So I thought to ask what others thought and their experience.

HERE is Ladybird's youtube video: Watch it at your own risk! I now find edging decks addictive :)))
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=CCB8E0E122624C79D448CCB8E0E122624C79D448

jolie_amethyst

Madelyn, Ladybird here in AT did a youtube video about edging decks and used either the Tim Holtz ink pads or a Marksalot large slanted tip pen.

I have recently done about five decks and LOVE how they look, and from what I have read from those who edge theirs, decks we both have that they edged and I didn't, I had chipping or other problems with the edging. So I thought to ask what others thought and their experience.

HERE is Ladybird's youtube video: Watch it at your own risk! I now find edging decks addictive :)))
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=CCB8E0E122624C79D448CCB8E0E122624C79D448

This is the first I've heard of it preventing chipping. The only think I can think of is that pigment ink pads (the Brilliance line, for example) are really more like adding a thin layer of paint, and that *might* add some strength to the edges, or seal them in some way. I can't see where dye based inks (which at least some of the Distress line is, if I recall) would really make a difference beyond color.

That said, I edged my Madame Endora oracle in black last week and I'm now in agreement--all black bordered cards should be edged in black! I was amazed at how much difference such a small thing makes aesthetically. I need to do my Steampunk deck next. :thumbsup:

Sassenach

I also did my Gilded and it gave it a whole new look. Very classy I think. Very professional looking.

May Your Day Be Blessed,
Sassenacj

greatdane

Jolie_amethyst and Sassenach

Thank you for your comments! I agree. Edging would seem like it wouldn't make such a difference, but it does! It does seem to add a different texture as well and maybe it does strengthen them. I don't think it HURTS them. I DO make sure I give them plenty of drying time.

So far....Under the Roses Lenormand done in GATHERED TWIGS
Vintage German and Samhain Lenormand done in Vintage Photo (about three coats, let dry in between and then did in a coat of Gathered Twigs, brown with a slight redwood look now)
Bohemian Gothic, first ed, done in layers of BLACK SOOT, to get the right intensity
Mysteries of the Old Castle and the STS Lenormand done in Pumice Stone.

If I were better at cutting I would trim my Bieri and then BLACK EDGE it with a Marksalot. I LOVE what Ladybird did with her Bieri and also how she did her Lenormand Oracle in the video. I can edge, but trimming isn't my thing :).

greatdane

The inks seem to HELP the texture of decks

I enjoy shuffling more after I have inked them, the texture is different. Seems more sturdy, yet more flexible, hard to explain.