Do any of you guys listen to music when you do readings for yourself?

Dark Victory '39

hmm....

i should try this, at least if reading for self. i tend to get a little fixated if its not going well, maybe music would relax. i have occasionally, absentmindedly done a couple of draws w/ the t.v. on;( before masterpiece mystery:)) and while i wouldn't really recommend it, it definitely loosened me up. it's so interesting to me how tarot is like any other creative act, and you do need to be 'in the zone,' but usually its the practice of your craft that gets u there.

novavita

I turn on a "mediation" pandora station often. Something wordless and relaxing helps clear my mind.

foolMoon

I turn everything off - especially the TV. Silence is must.

Marcus R

I usually read in silence but like to hear the birds. When I meditate on cards or read for myself I sometimes have Ministry of Sound Chillout music playing low.
As Marirowana said, Massive Attack would be good too, down low it has a sort of hush but up loud really has some primal drive.

nisaba

I don't listen to anything. If I have on music I'm passionate about, I get swept up in the music and distracted from the reading.

Silence at home, or most places out. Café-noises in cafes (I find this soothing and easy to read by). In the new age shop where I read, she plays new age music softly, and as it's not particularly musically interesting, I don't even notice it once the reading is underway.

katieb

When meditating on a card I'll play music. DJ Shadow's really good for getting my mind calm and helping it just absorb the imags in the card. Tool is another band really good for that, too. Especially with the Thoth Tarot.

Sometimes I just put my iTunes on random and some songs just have a line that'll sum up a particular card perfectly. Nas is really good at that. System of a Down is an awesome band to meditate on the cards to. If you can manage to meditate to music that heavy and metaly there's some really insightfull lyrics.

There's a line in their song "Chop Suey" that summed up the Hanged Man as well as the connection to the next card Death, well for me anyways.
"Oh I don't think you trust in my self righteous suicide
Oh I cry, when angels deserve to die"

My favorite though, is from their song "Sugar" while I was meditating on The Fool and how he's at the beging and after the Universe.

" 'cause every time I try to go/where I really want to be/it's where I am/'cause I'm already there!!!"
I love System of a Down!!!! But wouldn't be able to read with it on lol! Everyone's readings would probably be center around pogo sticks lmao!!

esspeet

I don't listen to anything. If I have on music I'm passionate about, I get swept up in the music and distracted from the reading.

Silence at home, or most places out. Café-noises in cafes (I find this soothing and easy to read by). In the new age shop where I read, she plays new age music softly, and as it's not particularly musically interesting, I don't even notice it once the reading is underway.

I feel the same way.. it's too easy for me to get distracted by the music, or emotionally influenced even which I fear may skew the interpretation. Usually I do readings for myself in silence, though at times background noise is unavoidable.

Marirowana

...or emotionally influenced even which I fear may skew the interpretation.

If i choose to read with music, that is exactly the reason why I do so! Music can give direction,
for sure, and sometimes I like that.

It can become a different reading with different songs. It's like picking a soundtrack for a movie, it's not the visuals that make the atmosphere romantic or scary, it's the audio.

Strenght

I feel the same way.. it's too easy for me to get distracted by the music, or emotionally influenced even which I fear may skew the interpretation.

This would happen to me too. I prefer silence, if only possible!

Zephyros

I'm constantly listening to music anyway and I don't stop it for readings. I may turn it down if I'm reading for someone (obviously, no one likes a reading shouted at them) but I really don't do anything special otherwise, especially if I'm reading for myself.