Completionism

nisaba

Alta said:
- Aquarian Tarot (Morgan Press, plain blue cardbacks :OOP)
- Aquarian Tarot (Morgan Press, blue/white abstract design cardbacks :OOP in this edition)
- Aquarian Tarot (Morgan Press; black cardbacks with black/white ourorobos design thereon: OOP)
- Aquarian Tarot (Morgan Press; red cardbacks with black (mostly)/red ourorobos design thereon :OOP)
- Aquarian Tarot (Morgan Press; red cardbacks with white (mostly)/red ourorobos design thereon: OOP)
Do we have dates on any of these decks? Or is this the wrong thread to ask?

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
Hey Rodney, I've got bad news for you; there's a special Cartomanzia 184 which comes in a tin! How cool - and necessary - is that?
Tinned decks! Not for me, thanks, I like my food fresh or dried, but possible ... RW?

Le Fanu said:
I totally identify with the Completionist tendency, but so far I have managed to keep it pretty much under control. However, I wouldn't dare own a mini deck and not have it in a standard size too. Not to do so would be simply rude.
<raucous laughter>

Le Fanu

nisaba said:
Since being here I've started a sub-collection (I know about my other sub-collections...)
I love this concept of subcollections.

I have a new one developing which is the "when Lo Scarabeo were just starting off" subcollection.

Caused by nostalgia for the times when the 80th LoS card was a list of maybe 10 or so decks... *wistful sighing...* Some, sadly, no longer with us... I have built up a completist subcollection of those early OOP LoS decks; the Sola Busca, Tarot of the Origins, Tarot of Casanova, Durer, Minchiate etc etc.

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
I love this concept of subcollections.

I have a new one developing which is the "when Lo Scarabeo were just starting off" subcollection.

Caused by nostalgia for the times when the 80th LoS card was a list of maybe 10 or so decks... *wistful sighing...* Some, sadly, no longer with us... I have built up a completist subcollection of those early OOP LoS decks; the Sola Busca, Tarot of the Origins, Tarot of Casanova, Durer, Minchiate etc etc.
The named-artists sub-collection: Klimpt, Bosch, the Tapo-Durer, Brueghel, da Vinci Enigma, and I know there's another one, it's just evading my tongue at the moment. Stacks on the list - I definitely haven't been de-enabled on the Gauguin despite the sterling work of you and a bunch of others in That Other Thread.

The Scapini collection: More waiting to be bought, but the Vetrate (which kick-started this one by being gorgeous), the Lukumi, the Sibilla 800, the Mediaeval (the supposedly muddy version), and the Cary-Yale Visconti which he worked on, kicking off ...

The Visconti collection: the Cary-Yale, the Lo Scarabeo Gold Foil, the Lo Scarabeo mini, the Piedmont, and more to come as time and budget permits.

And now - the bloody signed-and-numbered-limited-edition one which, apparently, I've been unconsciously working on for a while (thanks, Rodney!).

I have no chance at all of buying for a while, and when I do, I think my best strategy in completionist terms would be to work on sub-collections rather than randomly buying decks that appeal. Then when I complete a sub-collection, I can reward myself with a random deck that appeals!

You know what? I consciously "collect" these and buy when I can whether I like them or not - and I like and use them all!

Chronata

Being a completionist is sort of fun.

I once had a subcollection myself...
I was collecting all the decks that featured masks...
I had the Carnavale, the Mashera, the Masquerade, the Carnivale,and was close to getting the De le Rea when I had to sell decks, or starve.

I guess it's ok...I never would have gotten that Folchi I wanted anyway....

nisaba

<longingly> I wish Pro Hart had designed a deck based on his Masked Miners series of paintings before he died - it would fit nicely into your mask sub-collections, and into my artist sub-collection! And I just love that series of paintings - it would simply be a good excuse to look at reproductions of them often.

AngelC

I've tried to resist this :D
The decks themselves have made me a Magic Realist Press completionist, I just wanted them all!
However, Ciro's new editions have made me feel the urge to buy decks I already have just to have these new versions.
As long as I'm unemployed I'm sure to resist but... I can't promise what happens once I get more money.

I have a lot of cat decks too but not all... I would if I could though so I guess I suffer from this too, if not quite as bad as some of my fellow members (phew)