Deck of the Week : Sign-Up Thread : Week 155 : July 19th - July 26th

AJ

I never found the Deviant Moon to be a dark or scary deck, the characters all seemed wistful to me. It made me sad when I used it so I let it go.
Patrick has really drawn an outstanding deck though, have you read where his textures came from?

NadaJ

I never found the Deviant Moon to be a dark or scary deck, the characters all seemed wistful to me. It made me sad when I used it so I let it go.
Patrick has really drawn an outstanding deck though, have you read where his textures came from?

I could feel myself becoming even more introspective as I looked at the cards. I can see how it would make you feel sad; the Hermit is the saddest version of that card I've seen. Still want the deck at some point though.

NadaJ

I've just started looking through the Ellis deck; I really like how they are packaged--instead of being grouped by their suite, all the Aces are together, then the 2s, 3s, etc. I've wanted to study the cards based on their number designation, but been too lazy to sort through the deck and organize them that way, lol. The lwb that accompanies the deck is surprisingly insightful. I like his interpretation on several of the cards. I'm happy with my impulse buy so far!

Madame Squee

Okay, I just received an AMAZING gift today: "The Book of the Azathoth Tarot Cards"!!!

There's just no way I can possibly stay away from them this week.

So, can you switch me to the Azathoth Tarot? (Same Game of Hope Lenormand.)

Thank you! :love:

Rose Lalonde

Dame Fortune's Wheel Tarot

I was pretty quiet last week, because I've been holding off on posting about my experience with DFW. It won me over straight away, but I wanted to work with it more before I gushed all over the place. I like it better every day, so not gushing might be impossible.

(I'm sure most of you know already -- I'm late! -- but DFW combines trumps inspired by 15th century tarots from Ferrara and Marseille with illustrated pips based on Etteilla's meanings, and court names drawn from the Parisian pattern. And yet Huson's lively art and his interest in images from mystery plays and other sources Medieval people would have been familiar with, pulls everything into a surprisingly cohesive deck.)

Reading his book combined with the extended LWB download has been a great help too. I find DFW very direct, illustrated in such a way that the main thrust of the Etteilla meanings are immediately clear, and a good spark for intuitive reading as well.

swedishfish612

Such a fun week with the Deviant Moon so far! It's fun to rediscover my old standby deck in this new borderless format. I've never seen the deck as dark, either. I think the characters are quite charming, actually. Impish and cute. I even think the Devil card is cute, but I imagine him being a few inches tall. That's how he gets away with so much; he appears harmless.

I'm remembering why I've always liked this deck. It reads very clear for me, and it cracks me up. Even my simple one-card daily draws have been spot on, and humorous.

swedishfish612

Curious how everyone else chooses a new deck when the new week comes? I just go by whatever I feel like using, but I end up using my faves over and over, while newer decks sit there waiting.

I listed all of my decks out on an Excel spreadsheet, so I could randomly chose them by having my husband pick a number. Didn't work, lol. I had him choose today, knowing we'll be switching decks in a few days, and I didn't feel like using any of his first 4 picks! (In my defense, one was the plain old RWS, and one was the Golden Rider, and I just want to play with something I don't know like the back of my hand.)

So I'm curious how you all pick?

VGimlet

So I'm curious how you all pick?

Well...for a long time I had a list of the decks I owned (pretty much in order of when I bought them) and I went through them one at a time.

Then when I finally got through THAT list, now I have my "more later" list I'm going through, which is kind-of in order of purchase as well, but only the decks I either clicked with, or wanted to use them more, just because.

And now I use my new decks in order of purchase too, so I'm always caught up.

Yeah, sometimes it's a bit of a slog, LOL. But it will come in handy when I eventually, someday, start divesting myself of parts of my collection.

BodhiSeed

@ swedishfish>For several years now, I've kept a list of the decks in the order I've used them on my blog. When I get to the end, I start over. I weed out decks as I go (after I've used them a couple of times). Each week I choose one deck and one oracle then change at the end of the week. Of course if I get a new acquisition, it moves to the front. :laugh: I don't skip around on the list too much, as my purpose is to use all of my decks. If there are some I really don't want to use, those are probably going in my "give away" pile.