How many times do you get confronted with that tarot is just random advice/bullcrap.

Meemai

Hello,

I was doing some reading for people just for free and for some feedback. And actually I did well, never ever was a reading bad or did they say they couldn't see anything in it.

However I would get people boasting that it's just random and one card can be applied to everyone, so it's just random advice and they call it stupid etc. Ussually I do not mind, but it's getting quite annoying lately. I have thus chosen to not really talk about tarot with anyone. Unless they seem interested in such a thing. But I feel like being alienated, 'Oh' they go, he uses tarot cards. And when you ask something they go like 'oh why don't you ask your cards.'

It is quite annoying it's not that I am sad with it or mad or angry, I am just annoyed a bit. And I wonder if it happens a lot.

Richard

I know what you mean, but you can't really blame people for being skeptical. Tarot reading is kind of weird. I'm sort of a skeptic myself.

dancing_moon

It's not just Tarot, Meemai. Every time you volunteer to talk about your hobby, there are people who might get skeptical/disapprove. I remember how my mum kept making fun of me because I enjoyed watching soccer ('a bunch of grown men kicking a ball? Oh come on...') until she became a full-time fan. :D And Tarot, unlike soccer, has a whole bunch of superstitions, fears and cliches following it.

That's why I never volunteer to talk about it. But then again, I never volunteer to talk about a dozen other interests I have. Chances are nobody will be interested to know at best. I prefer venting out here on AT. :D

ana luisa

Be happy about yourself and what you do. S.... the others. After all, if not even Jesus could please everybody, why should we ?

Citrin

People like to question basically everything... Eating habits, exercising habits, where you live, what you believe in, what you wear - they will always go "Oh that's weird and not okay!", right? ;)

I don't talk about tarot cards a lot actually, so I haven't noticed what you have. But I'd be more surprised if everyone around me would go "Yeah, tarot cards, def believe in that!" than the other way around lol. It is kind of uncommon and seriously, how can we explain that it works? There's really no ultimate scientific proof or such. So I can understand people being skeptical.

I'm skeptical to a lot of things out there: homeopathy, reiki healing, hypnosis, etc... I wouldn't say "That's stupid!" to those who believe in it, but that's the difference between open minded and being judgemental. If someone would turn rude and accuse me of being stupid for reading tarot cards, I'd honestly just smile and walk away, knowing I'm better than that person. (I wouldn't mind someone questioning the tarot, I love a good debate, but I'm talking about when someone is straight out rude about it!)

gregory

I think anyone is entitled to feel whatever they like. Let it go !

I have to say there are many even HERE who diss Christians and other religious groups for objecting to tarot because it goes against their religious beliefs - and I feel very strongly that those AT members who diss people who don't happen to agree with them, in threads here, are as bad as those out there who diss tarot.

We all have our own belief patterns, and we all have a right to them. We should simply respect others' beliefs, is all. Just don't engage. As I don't with those who tell me they will save my soul. The only time I object is when they tell me they will pray for me. They will, if they must, and I realise they probably have good intentions but they do NOT have to tell me about it.

DownUnderNZer

Never had that problem nor has anyone looked at me like I am the Anti Christ either. :D
Maybe you just need to be upfront about the "annoyance" and why.

I did read once for a "skeptic friend" of my sisters years ago because it seemed fun at the time, a real challenge, and it was New Years Eve so I was open to it.

She was the only one I have ever told directly, as the cards came up in a certain combination, that she was coming into hell of a lot of money. And although she did not believe it at the time it did happen some months later.:D And not just once!

Not Tarot or Oracle, but playing cards.

The Tarot is only random I think if you do not have a full grasp of the different meanings one card can have which can be like 20 different meanings if you are lucky!!!!:bugeyed: A lot of depth and layers I reckon.

You need to work out why your sitters are saying it is random and one card means the same for everyone. If it is a Work question for one person and a Travel question for another how could the SAME card have the same answer for both? I don't think it would nor should it.

DND

Hooked on TdM

I grew up with disrespectful skeptics. My parents were Jehovah witnesses until I was six. After they were disfellowshiped, my mother bought tarot cards. My father hated them. He called them nonsense, hogwash, a scam and things I won't repeat on here. As us children grew up, I started using tarot and runes. My brother started repeating the same 'opinions' that my father has. I even went through a nasty boyfriend stage that wouldn't allow tarot in the house because they were 'evil'.

In my youth, I would back down, hide my cards, even hide my spirituality. Now, I do not. I have just as much rights to my beliefs as anyone else. I don't hide what I do, nor not talk about it. I don't debate either. I simply let people know that I'm sorry they feel that way and carry on.

I love tarot. I believe in an universal guide. I believe tarot is meant to help and guide people. I am what I am. Others can accept that or move along. No one has to agree with me but they do have to be respectful or I show them the door. :)

Meemai

@Everyone thanks for replies, but like I said I am not really offended I just got annoyed.

It went like this I was on facebook and a guy I used to be good friends with asked if I could cast him some runes as I did that at the time, so I said I don't do that anymore and prefer tarot cards. He then asked if I can do that, so I said alright and did it for him. He was quite happy with it so he put it on his facebook. His friends then asked where he did that or some did and he said I was it, so some asked me and then in the feed others started going like. 'Oh why would you believe that bullshit,' calling me all kind of things.

So after that I quite and I was like alright, no tarot for others anymore, it kind of goes out of control, which is sad I would like to use it to help/support people not for initiating fights or heated discussions.

RunningWild

I must be stuck at the rebellious teenager stage of life. I used to keep tarot to myself because I'm weirdly private and it was just no one's business but mine. That and I lived out in the woods with mostly the dogs to talk to and if they thought there was a treat at the end of my talk, they'd sit and listen to me indefinitely. :laugh:

Now I tell people and if they give me "the look" I just keep on talking. I figure that eventually I'll put them to sleep, bored to tears, or they'll run as fast as they can in some other direction. It's always fun to watch their eyes glaze over. I'm easily amused.

I think I've convinced most of the local bible thumpers that I'm quite happy being a lost cause to them.