Do any of you guys listen to music when you do readings for yourself?

rainwolf

I like to listen to classical music, like bach and chopin. Chopin's Nocturne in G Minor is really nice and can ground you to a good point.

Sometimes I don't, and sometime's I like Sarah McLachlan because she really compliments a mystical environment.

One Armed Scissor

Lillie said:
What's a Bruja?

Sort of witchy fortune telling woman?
Is it a mexican word?

Sounds cool.

Anyhow, the TV is on, and as I am not the only person in the room it would be a bit unfair to demand it be shut off.
But it's OK, I don't mind it.
It sort of fills the gaps in my head.

Bruja is Spanish for 'witch' a Brujo is the masculine form. In Mexico, and Mexcian-American areas of the US, it's a title. Every village, or neighborhood has one.
Usually female, all the male ones I've met where gay. They can do herbal potions, cleansing, remove hexes, read your cards, make love potions, make spells for money, put a hex on your enemies, whatever.They're considered evilbut there isn't a single Mexican community without one. And while people will tell you never to go to them, someone keeps them in business, because they usually don't have a dayjob. So they kind of specialize in evil, spooky, magick; and the whole community can benefit from it, without having to actually deal with any of that "evil" first hand.

Annabelle

I'm sort of surprised to realize . . . I almost always read in music-free environment.

Perhaps because there is no radio or stereo or TV or computer in my tarot room or in our bedroom (the two rooms where I'm most likely to read tarot).

GryffinSong

I sometimes do. Quiet, instrumental pieces, either from a tv channel called Soundscapes, or a native American flutist or somesuch. Otherwise I prefer quiet. If I'm really in the mood, though, I can read through anything, though I prefer not to have to tune out the distraction of conversation or tv shows.

WyrdRaven

I LOVE reading with music softly playing in the background. Loreena McK, Ravi Shankar, evocative new age instrumentals... really boosts my intuitive, creative mind. For me, silence is dead. I prefer it to the sound of the TV or radio, but it does nothing for me.

tarotbear

When I was little, there was this Bruja that lived in the same building as us. She read cards, removed hexes, did all kinds of herbal stuff. She always had the TV on in the background. No one was ever allowed to turn it of, adjust the volume, or change it to cartoons. I hated waiting in her living room, she always did all here readings in the kitchen. Everytime the signal faded and there'd be static it would remind me of the movie Poltergeist.

She may have had the TV on to keep other people from hearing what she was saying - it's an old 'spy' trick where you have a radio going so your voice can't be heard clearly.

Personally, I hate TV on when I do Tarot- too much of an intrusion with commercials for all sorts of stupid things coming on at a higher volume and such. At least when you put on your own music that is all there is without ads to 'Run to this sale at that store' kind of stuff.

This is a very old thread! :bugeyed:

VGimlet

I either listen to music, or it is silent. (If DH is not home, the television isn't on.)

I, um, don't listen to quiet music always, either. This is an old thread. :D

Marirowana

I want to kick this thread up, because I couldn't find a recent thread about music, and I was wondering what y'all are listenig to!

I found this post inspiring:

Sometimes I listen to the music of the rain on the roof, other times I listen to the music of the moonlight reflecting off the grass.

(...)

Anybody sing when they read?

Anybody listen to the music of the snow flakes?

Just a thought...

I love silence, if there is any music on I can't hear my own thoughts, breathe, heartbeat...

But when I listen to music during a reading, it is often:
-Yael Naim (especially the song 'man of another woman'... Not for the text, but for the sound of it.. love it..)
-Lisa Hannigan
-Air
-Fever Ray
-Hindi Zahra
-Ilya
-Jungle by Night (for an uplifting vibe, reading for friends)
-Xavier Rudd
-Treva Whateva
-Massive Attack
-Loreena McKennitt
-Classical music
-Any Mantra music (just type 'mantra' on youtube, or 'mantra for positive energy') Om!

mrpants

Boards of Canada!

Cocobird55

I love reading to music when I'm reading for myself. I generally turn iTunes on to get a random effect.