Appearance in the Court Cards..

Phoebe

I have heard and met a lot of people, a lot of the time using different decks other than the Thoth, who associate certain physical characteristics and traits with the different court cards.

IE, the person that the knight of discs is portraying is tall, dark hair, dark eyes, etc.

I was wondering if that is only with other decks, or if there are these characteristics for the court cards with the Thoth?

And if so, what physical attributes and traits do you all associate with them?

What would the Prince of Cups look like, and so forth.

Thanks in advance!

ravenest

It's up to you.

You can do this if you want, but I feel there are several ways to go.

Each card is attributed to a sector of the zodiac so you could match the cards attribution with the person's zodiacal, natal sun position, but for appearances it might be physically more similar to match their natal rising zodiacal position.

You might want to go on the physical appearance of the card and the person and find the best match.

You might want to go elemental; eg. a woman (or man even ? - astrologically I am the Queen of Cups ) seems very strongly water influenced so you might match the Princess of Cups. But this is more of a matching of their energy and not their physical appearance.

I don't have my Book of Thoth with me so I will leave any references (or lack of) to this for others.

Sometimes I might get a strong feeling of a clients familiar animal so if there is a match with a card I might make that.

I like to match several cards with a person; physical - if possible, general astrological with a court card, specific astrological (using the minor card's astrological decanate attributions) using three court cards, and maybe an astrological, planetary or even elemental Trump thrown in as well ...

HECK ! just chuck in the whole deck :laugh:

But I DO like to show 'the significator' or the 'what card would I be in the deck?' card as more than one card. It helps us to dispel the illusions we have about self and identity. And on that track I also like to show both a tropical and 'sidereal' selection of the cards and talk about their combined significance and leave it up to the person to see which they really feel is their REAL self as opposed to what they have been conditioned to believe about themselves and what other people expect them to be ;)

[ Which, after all, is a BIG part of Crowley's system ... and others.]

chriske

Physical attributes

Hi Phoebe,

Good question. If we are sharing, I am a Prince of Swords astrologically and my wife is a Queen of Wands. I must admit our respective descriptions in the BoT are frighteningly accurate so I never even considered the physical attributes before. And I spent an unpleasant time in a wheelchair in recent years which also coincided with my interest in Crowley (I guess that's not a good recommendation on reflection).

Seriously, I would agree with ravenest. Have fun :)