Choosing a Crystal

jolie_amethyst

I hope you find it in one of those shows, and it isn't too expensive. We have one coming up in a few weeks too, and I'm looking forward to getting some big pieces.

Home from the show with a new reaction to share...

The very first vendor was one where you just want to take EVERYTHING home. A number of pieces were attractive, but nothing really stood out until I turned the corner and started to examine some of their larger pieces. The first one to catch my eye was almost dead center in the middle of a large display area, and almost but not quite out of reach. It was a substantial smoky elestial quartz, about the size of my hand and probably weighing a couple of pounds. And as I described above, it was a "pick me up and don't put me back down" situation for twenty minutes, while I looked at some other things.

Because I was barely 20 feet into the show, I had the vendor hold it behind the displays for me while I tried to decide on some spheres and looked at the rest of the vendors. I pledged to come back for it, and possibly some other things.

Five steps away from the booth, I was overwhelmed by nausea. That stone did NOT like being left behind, apparently! :joke: No surprise, it's sitting next to me while I type this.

I rediscovered what I already knew: the "warm or cold" trick doesn't work for me. They ALL warm up if I hold them for even brief periods.

And the "just know" method was dubious when I found two quartz spheres that I liked equally. Both warm, same price, took forever to decide. I finally came to the conclusion that either was happy to go home with me, and that for whatever reason, it probably didn't matter much which I chose.

Conversely, a batch of tumblestones that were combined sunstone with iolite was an interesting experience. One that I picked up gave me the don't put me down reaction, but it wasn't the prettiest stone in the batch. It was another one of those things where I wasn't thrilled with the pricetag, and for that price, I wanted a really attractive one. I kept sorting through them, finding several I liked the looks of better, then picking this one up again. Finally, I gave in and bought it. When I went back to the elestial vendor and showed it to her (laughing about the reaction because she'd watched me with that smoky), she flipped it around once or twice to admire it, and then exclaimed, "Did you see this? It has a natural heart!" A tiny, almost perfect iolite heart stands out against a creamy section at the very bottom edge of the stone.

I collect hearts. I hadn't seen this one. :bugeyed:

Padma

Wow! Great story! No wonder it waned to come home with you - and it sounds truly beautiful and unique!

ETA I forgot to put in a heart for you, so here it is! :love:

jolie_amethyst

Wow! Great story! No wonder it waned to come home with you - and it sounds truly beautiful and unique!

ETA I forgot to put in a heart for you, so here it is! :love:

Right back at ya! :love:

Looking it up, iolite-sunstone is yet another stone that's strongly recommended for creatives; I suppose that's no surprise really, since every non smoky crystal I've been drawn to out of the blue & bought this year (the ones I didn't deliberately seek out for specific tasks or properties) has turned out to be in that category.

pagan.hare

What are other ways to know that a crystal is choosing you? One of the ways I've done it for a while was that I held it in my hand and if it was warm, it was the crystal for me. If it was cold, no. So, what are other ways?
For me it's tingles and/or pulsating energy. First I hold it in my hand to see how it feels. Sometimes I will get a tingling sensation. I have also hovered my hand over crystals and I will sometimes feel the pulsating energy pushing against my palm. When I have chosen my crystal, by the time I reach the till people often will say how hot the crystals are when I hand them over. I suspect that has something to do with me and the crystal bonding.

celticnoodle

great story, jolie! :thumbsup:

For me, I feel the pull towards them generally. I also have this odd desire to grab crystals that have an eye/eyes in it. :laugh: not sure why--but if it has an eye--or facial features--I've GOT to own it! :D Actually, I do know why. They seem to really talk to me.

However, a few of my crystals, I've dreamed of them and then later went someplace and found them, when I wasn't really looking for it. When I found it, I'd then suddenly remember, "OMG! I DREAMED THIS!!!" Luckily, when I have those dreams, I shared it with my sister or with my kid, and I'd call them up after 'finding' the dreamed of crystal and tell them that I found it! Its a wee bit spooky--but I love when that happens. Only once did I not get what I had dreamed of, but I was in the right place.

I had a dream that my sister, my aunt and I went to a psychic fair and I dreamed of us parking the car about a block away and having to walk to where the fair was. We walked up these old large cement steps and entered through these huge, heavy wooden doors. It was an old brick building, and dark in the entrance way. In the entrance way was a cafeteria table where we wrote our name on a register and then walked through yet another set of doors, not quite as heavy as the first ones.

I walked straight into this large school cafeteria like room, with cafeteria tables all around in 4 or 5 rows from this entrance and straight back and then a bunch of tables at the very back of the room. Things were on these tables for sale and also readers at most of the tables reading for people. Sis, Auntie and I walked down a row of tables, and I recall stopping at one table to admire a small statue of the Blessed Mother, before putting her down again and proceeding straight to the back. My aunt told me to look at the crystal skulls there on the table and I picked up a beautiful green one, a size of a walnut.

Well, the dream was so real, I shared it with my sister, though the aunt in it was deceased. I felt it meant something. Much later (weeks or months, I now can't recall), I noticed an advertisement in the paper for a psychic fair. Called sis and we both went. We did have to park the car about 2 blocks away from where the fair was held-and I was a bit concerned about the safety of the car as the neighborhood looked a bit scary.

When we arrived to the building, it was just as I had seen in the dream. I grabbed sis' arm as we opened the large doors and told her exactly what we'd see inside. We walked in and it was as I dreamed--EXACTLY. Well, we didn't sign up for anything, but we did pay our entrance fee and we walked into the fair--being held in a cafeteria styled room. I walked straight to the back, though I did notice the table I walked by with statues of the Blessed Mother, :laugh:--I didn't stop though! I wanted to get that green crystal skull!!!

Sis walked faster then I and she got back there and looked at me, motioning me to hurry, "THEY HAVE THE SKULLS!!!" she yelled at me. :laugh: but, alas, when I got there, no green skulls to be had! Sis & I both kept going through all the skulls (quite a lot of them!) and none of them were green! The woman who was in charge of that area came up to me to help me and I asked if she had any green skulls. "oh, I sold the only green one I had here. I don't have anymore, but I do have some at my home." however, her home wasn't convenient for me to go to later in the week--and so I left the fair, skull less. :(

Oh well. sometimes things don't work out like you dream/wish for them to do so! however, whenever I go anywhere and notice crystal skulls for sale--I keep an eye out for a green skull. :D

ThtDancerGuy

What are other ways to know that a crystal is choosing you? One of the ways I've done it for a while was that I held it in my hand and if it was warm, it was the crystal for me. If it was cold, no. So, what are other ways?

I usually see them in pictures and/or read about them and their uses in spiritual books, and I will just feel a "pull" or "draw" towards the certain stone or stones (I guess) the Universe is telling me I need to be working with. Especially if I actively set out to look for certain crystals or stones for certain spells or rituals I'm writing, that's when this'll usually happen for me.