Nine of Cups as Advice for Self-Esteem?

Enlightenment23

I did an 8-card "Empowerment" spread to look introspectively as to why my self esteem has been so low lately. (RWS, Reversals)

For the "What Do I Need to Do To Give Myself a Confidence Boost" position, I pulled out the 9 of Cups. Interestingly enough, this wasn't the only 9 in the reading. The 9 of Pentacles landed in the "What I Need to Know to Empower Myself."

But I'm interested in the former position -- the 9 of Cups. Now, what I find confusing about this card is that the character in the 9 of Cups isn't really doing anything. He's clearly complacent and content -- he's happy where he is, he clearly has no self esteem issues. In fact, he looks like a smug lookin' overconfident butthead. So it's like tarot is saying, "Be that guy!" And I'm like "right...but HOW?!"

Both the 9 of Cups and 9 of Pentacles depict some kind of..."happy and alone" sentiment. Perhaps it's telling me to look around and appreciate what I've accomplished so far? Maybe I am focusing too much on what I don't have and who I could be?

Perhaps I'm missing the message here?

Moonage Daydream

I agree with interpretation, appreciate the good things in your life! Also maybe it's a message that sometimes you need to indulge a little. Do things that make you happy and feel good about yourself even if it's just something as simple like buying a new pair of pants

Enlightenment23

I agree with interpretation, appreciate the good things in your life! Also maybe it's a message that sometimes you need to indulge a little. Do things that make you happy and feel good about yourself even if it's just something as simple like buying a new pair of pants

TeeHee. Interesting you say that. I completely missed that the cards have an indulgent/luxurious feel to 'em. I haven't gone shopping in ages (I'm pretty conservative with my money), but with Spring rolling around soon, I think I deserve to treat myself and buy a few sundresses. Thanks Moonage Daydream =]

Moonage Daydream

TeeHee. Interesting you say that. I completely missed that the cards have an indulgent/luxurious feel to 'em. I haven't gone shopping in ages (I'm pretty conservative with my money), but with Spring rolling around soon, I think I deserve to treat myself and buy a few sundresses. Thanks Moonage Daydream =]

That's the spirit! And you're welcome :)

Girl Archer

I did an 8-card "Empowerment" spread to look introspectively as to why my self esteem has been so low lately. (RWS, Reversals)

For the "What Do I Need to Do To Give Myself a Confidence Boost" position, I pulled out the 9 of Cups. Interestingly enough, this wasn't the only 9 in the reading. The 9 of Pentacles landed in the "What I Need to Know to Empower Myself."

But I'm interested in the former position -- the 9 of Cups. Now, what I find confusing about this card is that the character in the 9 of Cups isn't really doing anything. He's clearly complacent and content -- he's happy where he is, he clearly has no self esteem issues. In fact, he looks like a smug lookin' overconfident butthead. So it's like tarot is saying, "Be that guy!" And I'm like "right...but HOW?!"

Both the 9 of Cups and 9 of Pentacles depict some kind of..."happy and alone" sentiment. Perhaps it's telling me to look around and appreciate what I've accomplished so far? Maybe I am focusing too much on what I don't have and who I could be?

Perhaps I'm missing the message here?

Buy yourself pretty clothes, go out with friends, have a few drinks and let your hair down. It will be good for you. Be happy and grateful for all you have, instead of dragging yourself down thinking about what you don't. Can you please share what spread you used? I am in a place where this could help me as well :)

Enlightenment23

Buy yourself pretty clothes, go out with friends, have a few drinks and let your hair down. It will be good for you. Be happy and grateful for all you have, instead of dragging yourself down thinking about what you don't. Can you please share what spread you used? I am in a place where this could help me as well :)

Thanks for clarifying the Nine of Cups =]. I think I will do that.

And sure! I found it right on Aeclectic's Tarot Spread archive: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=39153

It was very useful for me and I hope it helps you, as well.

LeFou

9 of Cups might hint that (somewhere, on some level) you are living your dreams, your wishes came true, so take some pleasure in celebrating. It's the prelude to a new cycle (perhaps in a different suit).

seaglass

I really see both cards as being about pursuing your bliss, doing things that are wise investments and that benefit you. I.e. don't waste your time, any more than you have to because of constraints outside of your control, on activities, people, and thoughts that leave you feeling inferior, exhausted, angry, drained, so on. Life is short and it's worth it to pursue the situations and the relationships that really add value to your life. This can also mean letting go of unhealthy habits.

The 9's connection to the Hermit is an echo of the idea of true wisdom, of pursuits that will be considered rewarding and valuable even in retrospect.

So it can be the sum of a lot of little decisions...

will eating this meal make you feel good or feel regret?
will spending time with this person make you feel good or feel regret?
will spending your time doing x activity on the internet add value to your life or leave you feeling drained?

so on...

swimming in tarot

I see the nines as completion of the individual as an individual...cups and pents say, "I am enough" and "I am worthy". The sufficiency and worthiness are not dependent on any deeds, protestations, or other outward show. You are a good enough person as you are.

Lucille

I think you received the message loud and clear. Both have worked hard for their accomplishments and if they sit back and look around them, they would be quite impressed with what they have and what they have been able to do. It's the opposite of "keeping up with the Jones's". There's no competition because you have it all and even if someone shows off something they bought that's flashier than what you have, remember how much it must have cost them or how much it will cost them and know that you're lucky to not have to be so insecure, as well as not have that level of debt.

Just to add, the 9 of Cups can be about sharing with those you love or trying to make life better for the less fortunate. Small acts of kindness build up and can make your soul happy. In numerology, the number nine is the highest single digit number where the soul is at peace and the person has wisdom from mistakes made in the lower numbers. Looking at the 9 of Pentacles and Cups, they could be telling you that now is the time to appreciate where you are by respecting the path you had to take. There's no need to compare yourself to anyone because you will never be them and if you don't value yourself before others, who will?