Mystical Cats Tarot - The Cat 0

Onaorkal

In the Mystical Cats Tarot, The Cat is the equivalent of The Fool. He leads us on the Way of the Cat, reminder of the usual Fool's Journey.

You can see a cat standing in the middle of a cat-size paved way, smelling flowers and appearing quite relaxed and non-threatened. He's a typical mackerel grey tabby cat (striped), which is not a breed but a common pattern seen in cats. His underside from chin to abdomen and his paws are white. We can assume he's not in a rush, as his whole body is turned sideways (not facing towards the road) while he's smelling some flowers. We can see a lot of plants and flowers in the front of the image, but they become more sparse along the way. Not too far, on each side of the road we see a water fountain on the right and what looks like a small temple a bit further on the left. Then you can see the winding road leading to mountains in the back. The Sun is rising on the left and little white clouds appear in the blue sky.

Colors : A lot of green, all flowers are shades of purple, blue and reddish.

The definition and hints given by the book show us that the core meaning is quite similar to the one of the Fool of the traditional tarot. Some keywords taken from the book are "curiosity, openness to serendipity, ability to live completely in the moment".

It's possible to gather a lot of other useful information from the image itself, rich in symbolism. Here is what I found.

Tail up : When a cat keeps its tail in an upward position, it shows its contentment and his friendliness. I also read that a mother will swing her tail up to make her kittens follow her. So we can make the analogy with the Cat telling us that he's friendly and that we should follow him on the Way of the Cat.

Tabby cats : Even though it's not a breed, cats with a tabby pattern are very popular and for a good reason ; they have the reputation to be very clever and social and they love to play and explore. Also, many cats from many different breeds carry the gene for tabby, so this kind of cat is a good image to represent any 'ordinary' person.

White paws : It's not unusual for tabby (or any) cats to have white paws, but they still caught my attention. White is a common symbol of purity and innocence and I think it suits the Cat quite well.

Water fountain : Symbol of endless flowing energy. Also gives the impression of not being in a totally wild setting. Available drinking water, which is the most basic need to survive.

Temple : Going in pair with the interpretation I have for the fountain, it shows a possible shelter, giving a sense of security. Past both those objects, no construction is seen on the path.

Road : It's winding, long and wild (only presence of some vegetation). It shows us that the way is not an easy straight line, is sometimes uncertain and that you cannot see into the far distance.

Mountains : Possible obstacles to get over eventually.

Sun rising : A new day, symbol of new beginnings, gives the card a very luminous feel.

There are a few plants and flowers present on this image, but unfortunately I was not able to identify them.

knight_sephiroth

Onaorkal, great analysis! Not sure what I can add to it. LOL. So, I'll share some of my personal experiences with this card.

This is really one of my favorite representations of the The Fool in any deck. The brightness, fresh foliage, and upright, healthy, curious nature of the cat suggests the journey is simply delicious! He is not about to step off a cliff. Instead, the path is inviting, winding, worth exploring and enjoying. This is very Taoist to me, as it relates to the idea that the journey is more important than the arrival, and the cat relishes his up-close experiences. He does not seem afraid to venture, to try and to learn. This is the fresh, sweetness of naivety, not the foolish cliff-slipping noob. This is the spark of potential. Entry into new potential. The sun rises on a new day of exploration.

I have a kitten who's at 4 months now. Each time he awakens, there is endless potential. He is curious, exploratory. Even the tiniest things he encounters (a paper straw wrapper! a moth! a Cheerio!) brings the same kind of elated fascination. It's all new, fabulous, interesting, and he's never bored. The road of potential seems to stretch in front of him and he plays until he crashes, only to start the trip all over again with each new "morning."

This is a very positive card, easy to read, glowing with potential. Things are just beginning and it's okay to be fearless and to indulge in the joy of moments. The moment is as important as your bigger ideals, maybe moreso. Be open, responsive.

Edited to add:

I know the path clearly winds, picturesque, into a grand distance, but I can't help feeling the cat could just as easily turn and explore the direction closest to us. This says to me that when embarking on new journeys, you don't always have to take the most obvious path.

Seldes Katne

The thing that strikes me about this card is the path. It winds into the distance, there are steps leading toward the reader, and the cat is facing away from both options. Did the cat come down or up the path to its current spot, and is now considering going "off-road?" Or did it climb up from where the reader is sitting, and is deciding whether to leave the path or travel on to the distant hills? The easy road, or the wilderness?

I think a certain Robert Frost poem might be appropriate here....

Obsydian

Study group for my favorite deck? I'm in! I'd like to add my thoughts.

This cat, while different in coloration, reminds me of my own large house cat. He always has this yearning to go outside and smell the flowers and eat the grass. He'll escape just so he can roll in the dirt and soak up some rays. Even though we rescued him from being a stray, he still holds that longing to be outside. However, we have a feral colony outside and they don't quite trust them, yet he wants to make friends.

This is the inexperienced house cat who explores the outdoors, carefree and happy, but not knowing what dangers can lurk outside.

empress's dress

what a fantastic overview! thank you!

also it's very important that we are starting with "the cat" not a foolish cat or the fool who looks like a cat but a curious cat. unlike the fool which has meanings/connotations ranging from stupid to clever, cats are rarely ever thought of as foolish. at worst one might say a cat is mischievous or spoiled. the fool and the cat aren't truly comparable. the fool is taking a risk, making a choice going on his/her journey. the cat is not. the cat -- it's being hinted at -- is living according to how cats innately behave -- that is, curiously -- by going on this journey.

Onaorkal

knight_sephiroth - Thank you! :) In fact you had very interesting stuff to add! It's true that it's quite more positive and light than the Fool card when you think about it! As empress's dress wrote, this cat is not a fool, he kinda knows where he's heading. The road looks long and is winding but it's nowhere near the quite scary situation of the Fool about to jump off a cliff!

I really love how we can relate the cards to the cats that once were or still are in our lives. It makes this study even more fun!

I'm happy this study seems to appeal to many people. I can't wait to read what y'all have to say about the next cards as well ;)

empress's dress

just thought of the saying: curiosity killed the cat.

i had never of thought of this saying while looking at the card until now(i'm slow). so there is danger in this journey. but again it's not a choice stay home or go. it's just what cats have to do.

cats have wanderlust. even house cats when you leave a window open or a door open will have to see what's right outside. cats love to push boundaries.

knight_sephiroth

cats have wanderlust. even house cats when you leave a window open or a door open will have to see what's right outside. cats love to push boundaries.

I love what you said here. Cats love to push boundaries. And that, for me, is fundamentally what the Fool represents. The beginning, first step, of a process of investigation, exploration and boundary-pushing, completed with curiosity and an open-mind. Life.

Lunaea

Hello, Mystical Cat people! I'm enjoying peeking in on this discussion -- I love to see all the meanings and significance given to the various symbols. Sometimes they are what Mickie and I intended, and sometimes not, and that's purrfect! We all make the tarot our own by using our own language of symbols. If anyone has any questions or wants any info about the creation of this deck, please feel free to email me: lunaea at lunaea.com

Onaorkal

Hello, Mystical Cat people! I'm enjoying peeking in on this discussion -- I love to see all the meanings and significance given to the various symbols. Sometimes they are what Mickie and I intended, and sometimes not, and that's purrfect! We all make the tarot our own by using our own language of symbols. If anyone has any questions or wants any info about the creation of this deck, please feel free to email me: lunaea at lunaea.com

Oh hello there! :) I'm happy you noticed about our study.

I really try to dig into the symbolism so obviously it's possible I find stuff that is not really there...but as you said, sometimes it suits the card meaning for us and it's ok. But if you see me writing up something that does not make any sense at all, for example if I misinterpret completely an action or symbol, don't hesistate to tell me! :)

And thank you for the email, it might be useful indeed.

Thanks also for passing by!

Ona