Touchstone Tarot ~ The Ten of Wands

morticia monroe

the ten of wands in this deck is one of my favorites. Anne of Cleves is perfect.

After Jane Seymour died, Henry VIII was again looking for a wife and an alliance. He sent the artist Holbein to the Court of Cleves (which is in modern day Germany) and ordered that portraits be painted of both Anne and her sister Amelia,,, according to theory, Holbein is said to have been a little too kind to Anne's true physical likeness, and Henry chose her over her sister,,,,unfortunately he found her to be unattractive. She is said to have been slightly bucktoothed, pockmarked, and with a bulbous nose,,,,Henry is said to have called her the Flanders Mare. (Playing Devil's advocate for Anne, she was probably equally repulsed by the fat, balding, selfish, spoiled, smelly old man she found herself presented with.) She was not proficient in music and dance as were the ladies of the English court, but was instead schooled in the domestic arts and was said to be a heck of a card player.

When it became obvious (and Henry made it very obvious the day after the wedding when he loudly proclaimed that he was so repulsed he couldn't sleep with her) that Henry wanted no part of Anne, she was terrified, knowing what Henry had done to the two previous wives he had wanted to be rid of.

Henry presented her with an offer,,if she would give him his annulment, testify that the marriage had never been consummated, and claim a precontract with another man that had never been officially broken, he would give her lands, houses, an allowance, and a title, and be known as the "King's Dear Sister". She did not want to go home to spinsterhood and disgrace and had grown fond of England, so she sent Henry a letter playing on his vanities and feelings, agreeing to everything he said and begging his humble forgiveness for having caused him so much trouble,,

Henry and Anne of Cleves DID become very close as friends, and she was close to his daughters Mary and Elizabeth as well. She lived a good, long life in England as a rich woman, never married, and by using her head and keeping her cool, she KEPT her head,,,unlike two of Henry's wives.

Quester

What a GREAT story! Perfect 10 of Wands!!

tarotlyn

Morticia...great story...and you told it so well!:) Thanks for that!:thumbsup::)

All Is One said:
(Re: 10 of Wands)...Her message came true for me...
That is so interesting becasue her message came true for me today too:

My story:

My router (that connects my laptop with my main desktop, & my backup computer)
went out so I ordered another one and I was not able to get it to work. I had
been continually trying to connect it correctly for the about the last 6 days. :bugeyed::eek:})

Finally, today, after we were talking about the 10 of Wands card, I decided
to try to connect the router one last time!:bugeyed: AND this time I got it to work...YAY!!!
...but not before konking my head (ouch!!!) on my desk before my burden/frustration
was totally lifted!!!

Good thing I didn't give up!!! YAY!!! It is "good to go" now and "everything" is
working like a charm ... finally!:thumbsup:

So, I had been "frustrated" to the max lately...but now...smooth sailing once again!!!

The TouchStone has "touched" me :)D couldn't resist! :laugh: ) in a real way so far...:heart:

All Is One

Tell Me More....Bluebeard

morticia monroe said:
the ten of wands in this deck is one of my favorites. Anne of Cleves is perfect.

After Jane Seymour died, Henry VIII was again looking for a wife and an alliance. He sent the artist Holbein to the Court of Cleves (which is in modern day Germany) and ordered that portraits be painted of both Anne and her sister Amelia,,, according to theory, Holbein is said to have been a little too kind to Anne's true physical likeness, and Henry chose her over her sister,,,,unfortunately he found her to be unattractive. She is said to have been slightly bucktoothed, pockmarked, and with a bulbous nose,,,,Henry is said to have called her the Flanders Mare. (Playing Devil's advocate for Anne, she was probably equally repulsed by the fat, balding, selfish, spoiled, smelly old man she found herself presented with.) She was not proficient in music and dance as were the ladies of the English court, but was instead schooled in the domestic arts and was said to be a heck of a card player.

When it became obvious (and Henry made it very obvious the day after the wedding when he loudly proclaimed that he was so repulsed he couldn't sleep with her) that Henry wanted no part of Anne, she was terrified, knowing what Henry had done to the two previous wives he had wanted to be rid of.

Henry presented her with an offer,,if she would give him his annulment, testify that the marriage had never been consummated, and claim a precontract with another man that had never been officially broken, he would give her lands, houses, an allowance, and a title, and be known as the "King's Dear Sister". She did not want to go home to spinsterhood and disgrace and had grown fond of England, so she sent Henry a letter playing on his vanities and feelings, agreeing to everything he said and begging his humble forgiveness for having caused him so much trouble,,

Henry and Anne of Cleves DID become very close as friends, and she was close to his daughters Mary and Elizabeth as well. She lived a good, long life in England as a rich woman, never married, and by using her head and keeping her cool, she KEPT her head,,,unlike two of Henry's wives.

The more you talk...the more I want you to say.

That is fantastic!

This deck is opening up to me little by little.

But don't let me lose my head here.......

(It would have been illegal in 4-11 states if I had left that one untouched.)

All Is One

Bluebeard's 33rd wife

Morticia Monroe said:
unlike two of Henry's wives.

I always wind up thinking that more of them lost their heads than that.

Merely two?

My husband has had two wives before me.....

Let me think about this before I make any confessions.

stargazer

Quester said:
She seems to be looking out and saying...your burden might not be as heavy as you think it is...see...I am holding mine together with this ribbon...if I can do it you can too.

I love what you said here Quester.

It rings true for me. I am the one who holds it all together. I don't mind, but sometimes it gets a bit too much and I feel that the ribbon might snap and everything will fall apart!

stargazer

Morticia Monroe, thanks for posting the history behind the lady. It adds depth.

If Holbein had been a little too kind in his portraying Annes looks to the king, that would explain her anxiety over meeting him face to face.

That would also explain why Anne looks happy.
When the King finds her unattractive, and she find him equally repulsive, she is given a way out.
Light after dark times.

I love this card!

((((All Is One))))

All Is One

Thanks, Stargazer.....

Andy and I are up very early as we went sadly to bed at 10:30 pm last night.
I like this study group very much!
I drew the HS card last night before I went to bed.

I love love love this deck!!!!!

The ten of Wands really got me through a bad day yesterday!

Yay for Anne of Cleves! Yay for Tarotlyn getting her router to work (sorry bout the bump on the noggin!)

I think she looks lovely in this painting. How bad could she have BEEN????

"Flanders Mare???" Ouch!

BodhiSeed

MM, thanks for that wonderful story! It really rounds out this card for me. I do have a habit of seeing this card as "overwhelmed and overburdened." However she seems to be saying, "Yes, you have a load to carry right now, but it won't last forever. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, live one day at a time, and soon you will be able to put this burden down."
Wonderful card for me today, as I am trying to work two jobs, my regular bookkeeping one as well as my manager's hours (the one that had the massive heart attack - I posted about her in the Spirituality section). I am exhausted, but keep telling myself I can do this as long as it doesn't last forever!

All Is One

Lexie is Trying to Join

Like me, Lexie is having trouble finding the TT study threads. I thought I'd been around the forum long enough to keep myself centered but it is harder than it looks.

This is my first deck study.
I sent Lexie a link, and I'm hoping that if I stand here for awhile holding up the ten of wands, and this very large flashlight, she will join us.

Also....you all know that anyone can start a new thread on any card at any time.

You have to PM Sulis (maybe send a link...?)

But how about sending me a PM and a link.....and holding up the flashlight for the rest as we stumble in.

Maybe I'm the only one having trouble (me and Lexie?) finding these threads.....

One of these days will come a knock on the door and they will take away my college degree.