Lenormand Cartomancy Meanings

Padma

Queen of Clubs seeks security for the long term and corresponds to the Snake who is not a rushing animal. Queen of Diamonds is very much a moving accident waiting to happen. LOL She's fast, fast to think, fast to act, fast to gamble, she wants it
quick, whatever it is, and yes, she is also materialstic but they all are in a different sense. Queen of Diamonds is also a gossip girl, a communicator, a news reporter or a talk show host, she is into the fast lane. Queen of Clubs is into career too but her goal is the Anchor.

Ronia, thanks so much for that *very* clear explanation! I entirely understand the difference now. I also see that I really am the Qu Clubs, hahaha! ;) This was such a useful piece of info! I wonder if we could tempt you into setting up a thread on the meanings of the Court cards :)D), as they are always so confusing, I find...?

I would say that the Ace of Spades' relation to taxes leads to two British monarchs and I certainly don't know where taxpayers were hung instead of being forced to work for free to pay their taxes (which was the practice in old Europe and very wise one), enslaving them, but La Force will certainly let us know where this happened, as I'd like to know too. As about the Ace of Spades and taxes, google and you'll read the story, it's only related to the stamp/sign required on decks and inside them, started by British monarchs.

Thanks, I will Google it further! I have an old 1917 Military deck of fortune cards, and I wondered why the tax stamps on them seemed important. Now I know!

Don't know, if something bothers you, then get to read more info, I do that and at one point I find a text that explains what I need to know. :) To me the Ace of Spades and the Woman is pretty clear connection, not all Lenormand/cartomancy are that clear but they all clear up eventually, depends what you're looking for in them. :)

Here's the thing though, everyone seems to have a different take, so I am kind of lost, too much choice! I see I have to narrow it down to what works and feels right *for me* or I shall remain lost in the woods forever, haha!

There is shadow and light, that's how world works and will forever work, till the Sun finally explodes and all is lost. We can't be all light.

True enough! I tend strongly towards being as much light as I can be, so I miss things ;) You are right, it is a bit unbalanced, because shadow does play a big part, too!

Thanks again so much for sharing your insights, Ronia, I really appreciate it! :)

Ronia

Ronia, thanks so much for that *very* clear explanation! I entirely understand the difference now. I also see that I really am the Qu Clubs, hahaha! ;) This was such a useful piece of info! I wonder if we could tempt you into setting up a thread on the meanings of the Court cards :)D), as they are always so confusing, I find...?

You're welcome.

I've pretty much given up posting on this subforum, so I'm afraid a thread won't be in the plans anytime soon. :)

La Force

In history there were taxes that were put onto a deck of card, they held back the Ace of spades, so when the taxes were paid they would give you the Ace of spades. If you didn't pay the taxes you were considered a Traitor and you were hung. so that is in short why the Ace of spades carries the concept of death as well as bad omen/news, etc.

I would say that the Ace of Spades' relation to taxes leads to two British monarchs and I certainly don't know where taxpayers were hung instead of being forced to work for free to pay their taxes (which was the practice in old Europe and very wise one), enslaving them, but La Force will certainly let us know where this happened, as I'd like to know too. As about the Ace of Spades and taxes, google and you'll read the story, it's only related to the stamp/sign required on decks and inside them, started by British monarchs.

I apologize I should have been more specific, what I meant buy tax payers, is the card makers/manufactors, if they didn't pay the duty/taxes the paid with their life I forget which country.

Here is the video, with renowned authors and historians talking about the history of the playing cards. autor of the "Wicked pack of cards" is in the show. Watch the first 30 min, in that time it's goes into detail about the how, why etc. on the duty/taxes and the withholding of the ACE of Spades and the connection to Death. I recommend watching, it will explain it far better than I would due to my stroke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ6uhCIaKQA

La Force

pluto'sapprentice258

Hi, everyone!

Wow, I've missed so much! :D The contributions to this thread have been incredible - I (naively!) thought the cartomancy meanings were as synonymous as the Tarot archetypes, regardless of the deck used, their arcane symbolism tends to remain the same.

I'm amazed to learn there are so many variations - thank you, La Force and Ronia for your input on this topic, because it means a LOT more research and learning, which I love :D Also, thanks for posting the link to the documentary - this is one of my favourites, I've seen it many times- (watching again as I type, lol!:D) and yes, the Ace of Spades deaths were carried out in England I believe (probably to make an example of the tax evaders, and playing cards were still controversial items!)
The messages written on playing cards from desperate mothers abandoning their babies are heart-breaking, though...

I must say, regards the cartomancy (as I know it) for the Lenormand Letter, I have always felt uncomfortable by this; it implies there will always be bad news! I'm delighted to learn there's alternative options I can consider in my readings, too. I don't often draw upon the cartomancy for this card, due to the negative connotations, but just bear it in mind. I noted that many of the keywords La Force posted rang true to the Letter card's meaning itself, which was a nice connection back to Lenormand. :D

As La Force also said, it is important to find the use the meanings which resonate with both reader and reading! Intuition guides me towards the main themes to observe and which to discard, (no pun lol!) when I'm looking at Lenormand.

It would be interesting to see how many different cartomancy interpretations we can find, and see how they are similar/different, and which ones ring true to their Lenormand counterparts?

Regards the Snake, there were very interesting ideas about her, too - the Queen of Clubs is generally described as an intelligent woman, I know this... but this is real, modern life, and people do lie and cheat. There needs to be something/someone to signify this in Lenormand; the poor Queen of Clubs just drew the short straw. The Clubs in general as a suit in Lennie is generally considered 'negative' - think about it. Clouds, Snake, Whip? Hello! :D

The Snake isn't *all* bad - of course it isn't! But it depends on the reader, the reading, and the personal projections we place on the symbols in the cards.
Maybe the Snake is just a woman to you, and the Crossroad represents a cheating woman, or the 'other' woman?
It can be a wise woman, it can be a woman with glasses...but generally, for me anyway (because this is my projection!) she is a meddlesome women; often the 'other' woman.

Thanks SO much to you ALL for your contributions - it is helping us all learn and progress so quickly, and in such an enjoyable way.

LP, my friend, your reading about your manicure was brilliant - I loved it! :D And you reminded me how literal Lennie can be...I fall into the trap of reading like Tarot,lol, and probably over-complicate things unnecessarily... :)

little p

rachelcat

I'm just beginning to look at the playing card inserts, and typed this up. I thought looking at it organized by playing cards rather than by Lenormand number might trigger something in my mind. Or for someone . . .

It's not for me yet, but maybe soon . . . I'll let you know!

Attachments

• Lenormand by Playing Cards.JPG
    Lenormand by Playing Cards.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 116

daphne

Thank you, Rachelcat, for sharing. Nice table!