Sepher Yetzirah

jmd

Despite the fact that I have been on Aeclectic since for some time, I have never quite managed to get the sense for what is a 'study group' as opposed to having threads on, in this case, various aspects of the Sefer Yetzirah with various people contributing.

When threads of discussion open on the Sefer Yetzirah, I will very likely add my own inclusions when appropriate.

For the sake of ease of reference, and following more modern transliterative practice, may I suggest that each thread open with a common title, followed by subtitle. For example:
Sefer Yetzirah: Chapter 1​

I also realise that different versions have a different number of chapters (six as most common, though some versions have eight), and suggest using Kaplan's 'Short Version' translation as a basis for discussion (also found on my FourHares site, by the way).

BodyPilot

Brand spanking new here and I'm interested!

I just joined this morning and this is my very first post. I started reading the Kaplan version a couple weeks ago and then found out about this tarot site and the Book of Thoth...my reading as stopped for the minute. So much info!

ss

isthmus nekoi

jmd said:
Despite the fact that I have been on Aeclectic since for some time, I have never quite managed to get the sense for what is a 'study group' as opposed to having threads on, in this case, various aspects of the Sefer Yetzirah with various people contributing.

I think the study group tends to be more structured and regular and usually the same member is designated as "leader". Other than that, it's not so different :)

If the online version that kwaw posted is acceptable, then I will join in.

Ventrue

Heres my thoughts on breaking it down, how abot doing it into sub chapters, I prefer the way the Kaplan version is broken down, 1:1 1:2 1:3... For those of your using the online version, the commentary on each sub-section is extensive and I think worthy of a thread(with a few exceptions). I'm also not neccesarily the one who has the ability to persay, lead, this little expedition. I'll take care of thread startups and and keeping it all in order though. I'm sure those of us that have more extensive knowledge will chime in when neccesary.

Ven

jmd

The online versions kwaw posted are great (personally, I do like the Kalisch translation - but the Aryeh Kaplan is more easily found, and his commentary unsurpassed in English as far as I can tell).

I've also just had a look at the Kaplan online version that kwaw posted, and quickly noted a couple of omissions (which can be added as we discuss it).

My own edition also has some clauses (that occurred in square brackets in Kaplan) omitted.

I realise I did not give a link to my (unfinished) page (been meaning to include comments for some weeks now - still haven't got around to it - so perhaps a common study will get my notes up as well):

jmd

ok - I've decided to simply open the first thread... no reason why we can't take turns at it, and simply then add our comments.

So you'll see a new thread titled:
Sefer Yetzirah 1:1​

MikeTheAltarboy

I just picked up a copy of the Aryeh Kaplan translation and commentary at the book store a couple weeks ago. I finished it and am looking forward to my second reading. It's given me a lot of food for thought!