Your meanings or mine?

Padma

It felt like one but oh well. I was more disappointed that I didn't get any good true feedback and then was worried I needed to be more "to the book". I'll keep learning.

I agree with Barleywine. And in any case, who is to say you are not a good reader? Or that what you personally saw and felt were invalid, due to lack of experience? When I first began reading, I had no idea what the cards meant - I was 13, and my cards were old, given to me, and with no little book to go with it.

There were no personal computers back then, and new age stores were - out of the question, haha! I lived far from a library or bookstore. So I just winged it. I turned out ok :) and actually, I did do decent readings then! Sometimes, imagination and intuition can carry you as far as book learning can...

Don't discredit yourself ;)

TarotRNJess

I agree with Barleywine. And in any case, who is to say you are not a good reader? Or that what you personally saw and felt were invalid, due to lack of experience? When I first began reading, I had no idea what the cards meant - I was 13, and my cards were old, given to me, and with no little book to go with it.

There were no personal computers back then, and new age stores were - out of the question, haha! I lived far from a library or bookstore. So I just winged it. I turned out ok :) and actually, I did do decent readings then! Sometimes, imagination and intuition can carry you as far as book learning can...

That is very encouraging thank you

AmethystEyes

Haha! You know what I just thought of? What about how there are those times when a certain card keeps showing up? Irrelevant of who is doing the reading? :bugeyed:

fractalgranny

I guess I am wondering if maybe (this is getting deeper into how it works I think) it just doesnt matter HOW the message is getting across to the person who is meant to receive it as long as its getting there. After all, life isnt all tidy, easy and clear.

i'm definitely in that camp. to my mind, the reading is for the sitter, they are the expert on their lives. but then i my readings in person are highly interactive where i'm really just a guide. in my online readings, i also enjoy as much back and forth as possible.

it's a matter of style, though, isn't it? i'm interactive in all my work (even as a writer i like to 'break the forth wall' and talk to the reader). that's just how i roll.

when someone reads for me and they don't want my input, i prefer it if they, at least once in a while, say things like "they cards tell me.." or something like that. i find it a bit offensive when someone just goes and tells me something about myself as if they knew more about me than i do.

fractalgranny

I have found this thread very interesting. I practice reading on people because I'm finding the only way to truly learn is by actually doing. I had done a reading for someone and they sent what I had written down for them to another reader to have it verified and then never gave me any feedback or talked to me again.

aah, sorry, that must have been an unpleasant experience for you. in situations like that, unless the person who is reading for me comes across as super arrogant (in which case i don't bother) i do give feedback and say, wow, that really didn't resonate, can we look at that again?

Barleywine

Yes, I still rely heavily on what I call the "Three I's" - intuition, imagination and inspiration - despite all the "book learnin'" I've absorbed over the years. Knowing standard card meanings inside-and-out is one thing, but putting that knowledge to fluent use in reading requires an entirely different order of creative sensitivity. You don't often get nuance and insight from just stacking up keywords; an intuitive "leap" can be the spark that ignites the imagination and illuminates the whole reading. For me this usually happens at the most difficult times, and the challenge to fashion meaning out of apparent chaos is what I find the most fun and rewarding aspect of reading.