Writing a Tarot Blog

Laurelle

Member blog list here
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=163288
might give you some ideas.

My advice? If you aren't normally a writer of words, letters, limericks, book, whatever, you will find blogging heavy going.
#2. If it isn't interesting enough to engage you long enough to write it, it won't engage a reader long enough to have them revisit or follow.

I agree with this. If you are a writer, it should just flow naturally out of you.

but....that's not to say that you cannot start writing....

If you want help writing, just think of it as speaking. Imagine you're having a conversation with a friend about tarot. Just write down what you are talking about. Then you can go back and edit it to make it sound more smooth.

Good Luck!

Obsydian

Thanks for all the ideas! :)

I used to be a great writer, always got top scores in english and reading classes and I did it all the time even out of school. Now I'm stuck trying to get back into what I loved by keeping various blogs haha.

I agree with not rehashing meanings over and over, and I do like the idea of finding questions on forums or whatever to write an "advice column" on. There's just so much material, and what everyone has said has inspired me.

Tanga

So I have a professional website with a blog on it, but I'm at a loss as to what to write. I'm feeling very uninspired lately, and I don't want to write about all the same things everyone else does.

How do you other bloggers find the inspiration? Do you write about just tarot, or do you write about whatever you want?

(not to mention going under a lot of stress in my non-tarot life is throwing me off course, trying to distract myself.)

:)
I've just begun with this sort of thing.
I write about anything and everything - that I might then be able to relate to tarot.
(Which actually is everything). Like JackofWands - it's really a journal.
I'm a novice and not a regular Blogger, I doubt I ever will be.
And I definitely have peaks and dips in inspiration.

I just let that be as it is. If I've been without inspiration too long - I start reading everyone else Blogs under the sun, and at some point I'll get an idea. (There's quite some variety in Blogs out there - I don't find that everyone is into writing the same stuff.).
Also - I've a lot to learn before I can present my photo's in a more
professional format. This will come in time - I assume. Lol :joke:

I usually have some sort of notebook with me - or lying about the place, incase I'm say sitting on the train, see a lady's flamboyant hat - and suddenly think "I know - I'll write about z..."

You could for example - feeling uninspired right now - write about what cards mean "feeling uninspired" to you. The Hanged man? - suspension of ideas and just having to "sit" with that? It humanly happens to us all and everything goes cycles.
Or 4 or Cups? - sitting about staring, hoping something will materialise out of general "sludginess"...?
Be yourself. (but of course - don't drag it too low - you don't want your reader to feel despondent after reading).

AJ

Remember to put a link to your blog or website in your profile. That way if members want to see it all we need to do is click on the username, and the drop down list will show it.

Tanga

Remember to put a link to your blog or website in your profile. That way if members want to see it all we need to do is click on the username, and the drop down list will show it.

Eventually... I'll figure out how to do that. Doesn't seem to work presently when I follow the code instructions

delinfrey

Eventually... I'll figure out how to do that. Doesn't seem to work presently when I follow the code instructions

Go to User Control Panel --> Edit Your Details --> Enter your homepage

stone_lotus

I've really enjoyed reading the responses on this thread!

I started a tarot Web site / blog nearly a year ago, but I lost steam on the blogging part because, like the OP, I wasn't sure exactly what it was I wanted to say. I was doing weekly draws and things like that and eventually it started feeling forced. I'm honing my vision now and hope to post mainly about tarot spreads (my "niche", ideally) and more "diary style" entry such as thoughts on new decks, personal experiences, tarot-inspired art, etc.

I'm not trying to teach Tarot to other people, it's not a "how-to", and I'm not interested in offering readings en masse (i.e. "I pulled the Empress for this week; if you're reading this post, then this week is a good time to cultivate projects...").

Yes, absolutely! I think I've learned this lesson the hard way, ha ha. I am not a tarot teacher and even if I was, there are 1000 other blogs out there that already offer wonderful material in that vein.

Something I started doing was answering questions I've seen pop up on a different forum (i.e. "One of my cards is damaged, what do I do?"). I've only done 2 but it seemed like a good idea to try to have some advice posts.

Fantastic idea!

delinfrey

Just as an inspiration, I thought of giving you some ideas which I have used over the past month:

- moonboarding (I do a moonboard every full moon; you could think of a craft project which is ideally periodical, and write about that with posting your results)

- useful periodical exercise which you could write about for an extended period of time, hopefully your readers will follow. I am doing a "journey through the tree of life", which I find quite interesting.

- write about what you are really good at. My niche is shadow work, and although not every post is about it, I expect to provide information about that. Someone wrote about spreads being their niche! How wonderful, I am already excited.

I don't read Tarot blogs that offer en masse readings or LWB-style posts (except for thefoxandtheotter who writes about Shadowscapes; it is just such a darned sweet and talented blog, real pleasure), and I doubt they will receive a lot of fraction.

Oh, also - there are several books and notebooks out there which offer like a "question a day" or a "quote a day" kind of thing. Why not translate those to Tarot and write about those? E.g in my "5 year question book" there is a question "what do you like about your body today?" - could be used to devise a smart little spread and writing about that!

Le Fanu

As one who has blogged and is currently taking an extended break (when the time's right I'll go back to it), I would say rule number one is that there should be no obligation about blogging. A blogger's dutifulness comes begrudgingly through the screen at me. It should be a pleasure. You can tell the blogs where the blogger loves it. These are the ones that count.

For years I wrote a diary - and the blog substituted this for a while - when I thought mostly about tarot - it became a form of diarising for me - so filled was my mind with thoughts of tarot. I'm sure it will come back - but for the moment I'm going through a more introspective relationship with tarot and so don't feel the need to shout from the rooftops.

I would personally like to read people's personal and unique slant on decks. How they relate to decks. Not quite reviews - personal ramblings. But there's not much of that about. I don't particularly like - as someone said - extended LWBs. Or teachy teachy blogs. Ones that come across as knowledgeable with definitive explanations. Tarot is at it's best when it's personal. Oh goodness whenever the subject of blogs comes up I realise how much I miss it - getting to grips with a new deck by writing about it and trying to put words to what I feel.

And - also very important - the personality - feeling the personality behind the words. Blogs can be truly wonderful channels!