Wildwood Tarot issues...

silviannes

So I absolutely love the artwork on my Wildwood Tarot deck. Yet when I try to read with it for me or others, I get absolutely nothing from the cards. No intuition kicks in, no immediate thoughts on card meanings like I get from my other two, the readings (even though I know card meanings from the book and elsewhere) make NO sense, and if it does read for me I have asked my pendulum if it is correct and it says no that it is lying on purpose... My other two decks are not like this, does anyone know what is going on with it??

It's strength is The Lovers (one of my birth cards) so I thought we'd get along but it hasn't happened and I have owned it a month, treated it well, don't constantly ask for readings with it, etc. Now it has helped me make some awesome card spreads but it won't honestly answer anything larger than a 1 to 3 card spread (based on my pendulum's answers with a divination chart). Lately it has been giving readings that make no sense even at the 3 card level.

I want to know of any "fixes" before trading it or something.

Lucas Prince of Cats

HAve you tried cleansing it? I've seen a similar situation before on another thread. You can use many methods. I myself liek to reorder and go through the meanings of the cards as I place each one in place, then shuffle. I ponce needed to put it outside with crystals in the sunlight.

nisaba

Put it aside for a couple of months. Don't use it at all. Then after some time, shuffle it well and play solitaire or two-handed Tarot Snap with it. Then shuffle it again and try reading with it.

Perhaps you're just not familiar with its language, even though you like the images.

gregory

What she said. And then use it to tell stories - forget READING as such for a while. What's happening here - and how does that carry to the next card ?

Once upon a time a princess is exiled for refusing to marry some twerp from the next kingdom; (pulls the Pole star) she walks unafraid into the wood, only to see the snake on the tree (Balance). She whips out her bow and arrow and shoots at it (Archer) and then..... (I am only using the cards shown here as I am too lazy to go get it out - but you get the idea.)

I never see cleansing anything as opening it up to read. I only cleanse decks when the cat pees on them or something.

silviannes

I have cleansed it so perhaps using it to tell stories is better. Like I said, it helps me create amazing spreads but it does NOT want to participate. It might just be what it likes to do. The language, I admit, can sometimes be cryptic but I do understand it often (spreads are created by using card meaning for questions then drawing a card to name the deck, always perfect for the spread too).

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I have recently surrounded it with crystals (not in sunlight, will try this). I am going to take a break from it for now. My other 2 decks serve me just fine.

Citrin

I've had this happen too, with decks I've bought that I was sooo sure I'd click with beautifully... I'm with Gregory, take a break from it. I didn't click with my Shadowscapes, nor with my Nicoletta Ceccoli, and I put them away for a couple of months. Out of nowhere came the feeling one day "Hmm I should try that deck again..." and BAM! Read beautifully.

Sometimes I think we're not ready to understand certain decks, time has to pass first, maybe a different deck needs to teach us something first... :)

Le Fanu

You may need to be in another phase of your life. Give it a chance. Unless you live in a very small house, there's always space to tuck it away, get on with life and perhaps find that further down the line you can give it another chance.

I have had decks that have said nothing to me on arrival. No bond, no empathy, a sort of flatness. Then a few years later I have fallen in love with them and used them constantly.

It's a question of phases. Don't forget, we do live in a rather "immediatist" culture. Everything has to be perfect NOW! Put it aside and live a little. You'll come back to it. Or not. But give it a chance. I very very rarely trade decks. I'm currently trading a Moon Garden after 8 years. I think that's long enough...

Smiling

I love this deck, and what has helped me read with it is to ignore the LWB. The more I do that, the more the cards seem to open up.

Agree with the other suggestions that have been made, too.

SwordOfTruth

You may need to be in another phase of your life. Give it a chance. Unless you live in a very small house, there's always space to tuck it away, get on with life and perhaps find that further down the line you can give it another chance.

I have had decks that have said nothing to me on arrival. No bond, no empathy, a sort of flatness. Then a few years later I have fallen in love with them and used them constantly.

I agree with this. Certain decks have a particular vibe about them. When I first started tarot I went out and bought the RWS thinking, yeah this is the official tarot deck. Good place to start. Hated it, couldn't connect to it at all. About 8yrs later began using a RWS with no problems at all. But then still loved my faerie oracle more. When I returned to tarot recently I went out to buy a deck and only liked the look of one, straight out of the box, a perfect match. Although I will admit that there is no way I would have connected to this deck in the early days. I think the chaotic nature of the Froud oracles prepared me to work with the Shadowscapes, because they both have that whimsical nature about them.

I almost purchased the Wildwood this week but went back and deleted the deck from my order. Although I do like the artwork there is something about that deck that I really don't click with and I think it's the Wheel Of The Year concept. It's a structure that doesn't work for me at this point in time. Maybe all you need to do is research that concept and become familiar with it and then the deck will open up for you?

silviannes

Thanks for the advice everyone. I had decided to put it away for a while and I am really focusing on my other 2 decks. My readings have improved drastically without having to worry about that deck right now. I hope to be able to pull it out again in the future. The Wheel of the Year is a bit hard to understand in terms of tarot for me but I am studying zodiac signs with tarot and nailing down what I want court cards to mean in my drawings as well as suits, which is helping tremendously. I think even when I pull that deck out I will toss most of the LWB's meanings and use my own along with interpretations/intuition :)