History of layouts

Bernice

OH! Many thanks for bumping this thread. The link is fascinating.... I especially like the odd meanings you mention, "knock on the door" & "under the cups".

Knock on the door = A vistor is imminent ?

Must play with these............:)

Bee :)

Teheuti

Moonbow* said:
I would like to use some old layouts/spreads and see how I get on with them.
The format Ross gives here seems to be quite common:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=1435923&postcount=12

Often readers would then use the "count by 9" rule (or occasionally "count by 7") - which means that, starting with the significator as 1, you count 9 cards in either direction and then nine cards from there to weave together a story. You can also do this starting with any card of interest. For instance if you want to know the effects of a letter received, then go to the card representing "a letter" and count 9 cards from it. If you want to know what's going on with a person of interest, then go to the card signifying that person and count 9 from it.

This is probably the origin of the Golden Dawn method of counting cards in the "Opening of the Key Spread".

The oldest recorded spread - from Le Mond Primitif - can be found here:
http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/04/03/the-oldest-spread-by-le-comte-de-m/

Bernice

'lo Mary :)

Thank you for that spread-link. I wonder if in 1871 two people did this spread together? I like the counting approach, but then I like Lenormand cards, which can also be counted.

Moonbow

Mary thank you!

I saw the spread that Ross explained, which is similar to the Lenormand one that I mentioned, I was after something which reflects less of a fortune telling method.

The second link which shows the Comte de M***'s spread is exactly the type of spread I would like to use. Using the directions from your blog, last night I drew five pairs of cards for a reading and I'm about to look at them in depth shortly. At first glance the four Batons cards strike me before the Trumps do. I can see that the Minors are referring to the path and the Trumps show the obstacles along it, with the Fool at the end...freedom!

Although the method is a bit drawn out to deal (I did it alone), its exactly the type of spread I prefer, where there are no positional meanings and the full emphasis of meaning comes from the cards themselves.

Teheuti

Moonbow* said:
The second link which shows the Comte de M***'s spread is exactly the type of spread I would like to use.
I really like this spread, too. I've gotten some very powerful and deep readings using it. I've taught it quite often and mentioned it many times on discussion lists and, of course, on my blog. But, so far, it hasn't seemed to 'catch' with many people.

Mary

Bernice

Inspired to have a go myself. I used the Noblet.

I do like this spread. The 'counting' from two stacks isn't tedious or awkward, it keeps you focussed without having to concentrate (if you see what I mean). I ended up with just two pairs, 4 cards, and they were quite dynamic! ....... very meaningful.

Freddie

Some of these spreads you usually find in the little white books with the cards from European publishers..Grimaud, Fournier etc... alot of the time they link them to Marie Lenormand. Seems like alot of these LWB's have been included with the deck for many years back.

One of my favourite French 1800's spreads:

The Magic Circle-

Shoose significator. Put in center of table

Shuffle 'em up.

Put first 15 cards in a large circle around Sig. face down

Take the next four cards and start at top putting them in cross form around sig. card keep them face down for now.

Read three cards at a time in circle starting and card number 1, work yourself around the whole wheel.

The 4 cards in a cross next to sig are then read as what is VERY close to the sitter.

Read all of the cards looking for connections and further info.

My own 2 cents worth.... Only read meanings from the three card triads that make good sense, because after you turn all of the others over you will find how they will make sense within the whole reading. This is a current time-anytime frame reading

Have fun,

Freddie