Lon MiloDuQuette about Book of Thoth

Tabris

I've heard that Lon Milo DuQuette has written a book about Crowley's Book of Thoth.
Have any of you read it? Any comments?

Alta

Hi Tabris,

I read it and found it helpful. It is less arcane for the beginner, imo. I find his style of writing accessible and since it seems he is quite a Crowley scholar, hopefully to be relied upon.

Try going over to the Thoth Study Group Forum. There have been some fine debates about the value of this book vis à vis reading Crowley directly. Also some discussions on other books about the Thoth deck.
Marion

jema

I am a fan of DuQuette and like his book on the Thoth deck a lot.
One thing I found really interesting was the notes from Frieda Harris to Crowley that he added in on some of the cards.

jmd

Tabris, as Lon Milo DuQuette is this month in Norway, you may be able to attend one of his workshops or presentations there.

IDN

Hi,

I have three books on the Thoth:
Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot- Lon Milo DuQuette
The Tarot Handbook- Angeles Arrien
The Crowley Tarot: Handbook to the cards- Akron Hajo Banzhaf

So far the last book seems best by far.

Regards,
Ian

Tabris

Regarding the Thoth deck, I only have A.Crowley's own book "Book of Thoth". In my opinion, the author's own book about his or hers cards are the one that will you give you the best insight in what he/she was thinking.
After all, reading books from additional writers will only give you their interpretation of the cards. That is something that of course can be valuable, but I think that the source is always the best place to begin.

As I have read several of DuQuette's books and believe he is a true senior of O.T.O. and Crowley, I think he can add some valuable insight and explanation of the Thoth deck.
Unfortunately, I could not attend DuQuette's visit in Norway as I live 80 km from Oslo. :-(

Grigori

DuQuettes book does a very good job of explaining Crowley's'GD's system, and the general structure of the tarot/kabbalah etc... I highly recommend it. It however does not attempt to offer much on the divination side of using cards.

I would recommend DuQuettes book as a starting place, followed by The Crowley Tarot (as recommended by IDN) and then Crowleys own book. :)